100% GPU but low temperature, frequency and FPS

Samppaio

n00b
Hi, I'm facing a very strange situation. My video card doesn't work when I play a game. Despite the GPU running at 100%, the temperature, frequency and FPS remain low. VRAM usage is also low. There is simply no difference between the graphics card being idle or running a game, other than using 100% of the GPU.

Note:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB;
Windows 10 Pro 64bit (v21H2);
16GB RAM (2x 8GB);
Intel i5 7600k;
SSD 480GB;
Power supply: Corsair CX550;
Resolution 2560-1080;
nVidia Driver: 511.79

benchmark 2.jpg

Attachments

• benchmark results.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
The big clue is inside your screenshot. The video card memory is only running at 810 MHz. Something is forcing it to run in a down-clocked speed. Try checking your power management settings and the NVIDIA control panel for clock speeds.

Use DDU and delete the drivers. Use Nvidia to get a new dow load of drivers and reinstall. I had a recent issue where that was needed. Open EVGA Precision and make sure the power limit is set to at least 100 percent. I have seen recent threads on power limit lowered to 18 percent after the recent few driver updates.

A grande pista está dentro da sua captura de tela. A memória da placa de vídeo está funcionando apenas em 810 MHz. Algo está forçando-o a rodar em uma velocidade reduzida. Tente verificar as configurações de gerenciamento de energia e o painel de controle da NVIDIA para ver as velocidades do clock.
That 810MHz VRAM and 139MHz GPU are just the problem. They remain that way regardless of whether the game runs or not. In both the NVIDIA control panel and Windows, the power settings are set to maximum performance. Where can I check VRAM clock speed in NVIDIA control panel?

Last edited:
Use o DDU e exclua os drivers. Use a Nvidia para obter uma nova carga de drivers e reinstale. Eu tive um problema recente onde isso era necessário. Abra o EVGA Precision e certifique-se de que o limite de energia esteja definido em pelo menos 100 por cento. Eu vi tópicos recentes sobre o limite de energia reduzido para 18 por cento após as recentes atualizações de driver.
All the conventional attempts to deal with video card problems have already been tried. Even though my video card is EVGA, I use MSI's Afterburner manager and there the power limit is at 100%.

Where did you buy the video card?

Your screen shot says "GTX 1060 6GB," but the benchmark result is reporting your RAM as 4GB. If you bought it on eBay or from an individual seller you might have acquired a counterfeit.

Download GPU-Z and show us a screenshot of the first tab where all the info is.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Your screen shot says "GTX 1060 6GB," but the benchmark result is reporting your RAM as 4GB. If you bought it on eBay or from an individual seller you might have acquired a counterfeit.

I was suspecting the same thing after seeing the screen shots.

Not sure where you are seeing 4. Task man is showing .4 allocated of 6 GB.
The benchmarks also calls it a 1060 6GB card.

Not sure where you are seeing 4. Task man is showing .4 allocated of 6 GB.
The benchmarks also calls it a 1060 6GB card.
1647022049706.png

Unless Unigine simply doesn't recognize more than 4GB. Regardless, I would check with GPU-Z anyway.

I'm sure the video card is not fake. I'm Brazilian and a friend brought it from the US in 2017, bought on amazon. I also noticed this VRAM detail in the benchmark, but I considered it a program error. According to cpu-z I still have 6gb.

Attachments

• cpu-z_screenshot.gif
    cpu-z_screenshot.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
Can you take a screenshot of the Sensors tab in GPU-Z during a benchmark? PerfCap Reason is the most important part.

All the conventional attempts to deal with video card problems have already been tried. Even though my video card is EVGA, I use MSI's Afterburner manager and there the power limit is at 100%.
remove afterburner and rivatuner if you have it, re-run ddu and then reinstall the newest drivers. the one thing you didnt list is your motherboard, what is it? this isnt an oem system like dell/hp is it?

remove afterburner and rivatuner if you have it, re-run ddu and then reinstall the newest drivers. the one thing you didnt list is your motherboard, what is it? this isnt an oem system like dell/hp is it?
My motherboard is an MSI B250M PRO-VH. As soon as these measures are performed, I will return.

My motherboard is an MSI B250M PRO-VH. As soon as these measures are performed, I will return.
k, good. make sure the bios is up to date too. if you update it make sure to reset all your settings. also make sure you have the pcie cable seated good. its complaining about not enough power but is limiting the core/rams speeds....

k, good. make sure the bios is up to date too. if you update it make sure to reset all your settings. also make sure you have the pcie cable seated good. its complaining about not enough power but is limiting the core/rams speeds....
The first recommended measures had no effect. The pci-E cable is well fitted, even now at night, I switched to the other available cable, but with no effect either. The BIOS update will be due for now.

Based on everything I've read you most likely have a hardware failure. I suspect there's a blown resistor/inductor somewhere. Any chance you can take photos of the PCB?

Based on everything I've read you most likely have a hardware failure. I suspect there's a blown resistor/inductor somewhere. Any chance you can take photos of the PCB?
Given the situation, it couldn't be anything else. Unfortunately I don't have a way to photograph the PCB, as I already tried to disassemble this video card a while ago, for cleaning, and I couldn't. Thank you all for the attention! Next week I will evaluate the feasibility of fixing it.

After the suspicions raised here, I did a little research and found that, indeed, the problem is the video card. Here's the maintenance link for a 1080 with the same problem, that is, the gpu clock stuck at 139mhz:

Back