100 GB data shows as 1 GB

pinoy

Limp Gawd
I have a Seagate external drive formatted in NTFS that I used for both Windows and Mac. I used Paragon software for Mac to allow me to read/write the drive. One day Windows 10 didn't see the drive any longer. In the Disk Management it shows as an uninitialized drive. Windows asks me to initialize and select MBR/GPT and to format the drive. I opted not to as I will lose everything. I went to the Mac side and it sees the drive and reads the data on the drive but it reports I only have 1 GB worth of data when it should be 100 GB. I tried to copy the data and it did seem to copy 100 GB worth of data since it took a long time. Now there is a discrepancy with the number of files/folders and size being reported and the actual files/folders numbers and size. How do I restore this info? I think the Paragon software may have been the culprit and corrupted the file table.

Sounds like you got a scammed external drive. It's common now for ebay drives that are 'crazy' deals to be fake deals. Drives set to LOOK like they are TB's in size but really 500 meg if you're lucky. So you're data is probably gone for the most part.

Were you running a current version (15, I believe is current) of Paragon NTFS with a patched, current version of OSX? How much data did OSX say it was copying (not the disk size, but the Size/quantity of files?) The 100GB you are questioning, was this the NTFS partition or the HFS+/APFS partition you were copying from? The best thing at this point is to make a mirror image of the drive with DD, and restore it to another drive and attempt to repair the NTFS partition with some freeware WindowsNTFS recovery software and see what results you get on each attempt. Never work on your sole, original copy of the data!

The best thing at this point is to make a mirror image of the drive with DD, and restore it to another drive and attempt to repair the NTFS partition with some freeware WindowsNTFS recovery software and see what results you get on each attempt. Never work on your sole, original copy of the data!

Very important if you really care about the data.

Upon further investigation it appears I had installed the earlier Paragon AFS+ for Windows version 9.1 a while ago. On a Windows 10 computer without Paragon installed it did not recognize the drive. It said the drive is uninitialized. On the Windows 10 with the Paragon installed the drive shows up and I can see my data but under Disk Management it shows the drive as being empty. Again Mac can see the drive and I can see my data. When I uninstalled the Paragon Windows no longer recognizes the drive.

When I do check folder properties it said total size was 1GB. As soon as I started copying it queried more files and the size eventually went up to 100 GB.

Back