$100 from Bank of America by Opening a Checking Account

Can you just sign up with the minimum deposit, take the free $100, transfer all funds to paypal, and then close your account?

LMAO...Its not a cash back program...ITS YOUR MONEY DUDE.....all your doing is letting them put YOUR change into a savings act so THEY CAN MAKE MONEY ON IT......

sheep I say.....

Actually, it IS a cash back program. :rolleyes:

We’ll even match your savings
We’ll match your Keep the Change savings for the first 3 months, to the penny. After that, we’ll continue matching 5% a year. The maximum total match is $250 per year.

So, you basically have to use your check card at least 252 times during the year (most likely more). What sucks is, its not so easy to do a charge back on debit cards as it is on credit cards.

Actually, it IS a cash back program. :rolleyes:

So, you basically have to use your check card at least 252 times during the year (most likely more). What sucks is, its not so easy to do a charge back on debit cards as it is on credit cards.

Are you sure? From what I saw about it, it looked like they just rounded all your purchases up, then took the 'extra' and put it back into your savings. This would 'trick' people who are bad with money so they see nice round numbers and then have more in their savings than they think so they don't spend it. I don't recall ever seeing anything about 'cash back'.

Just curious where you heard that. I'm gonna go look it up now.

EDIT:

Just checked out the website. Would seem that for the first 3 months you could make some extra cash, but otherwise, the program works like I suggested. And I quote...

"
Introducing a new kind of change jar

Automatically save with each debit card purchase
We'll match 100% of our savings for the first 3 months
It's an easy way to grow your savings while you spend

Saving while you spend.

Each time you buy something with your Bank of America Visa® debit card, we'll round your purchase to the nearest dollar amount and transfer the difference from your checking account to your savings account. You get to keep the change and grow your savings. What could be easier?

"

LINK

BOA hasn't taken a dime from me, I got 5 years off "free" student checking, should last another 3 years. I've overdrawn once and I still didn't get charged, I just showed up the next day and put in cash for the overdrawn balance.

I've never had a problem with them honestly, the online banking is nice and simple... :confused:

Just checked out the website. Would seem that for the first 3 months you could make some extra cash, but otherwise, the program works like I suggested. And I quote...

http://www.bankofamerica.com/promos/jump/ktc/

Save automatically with every Check Card purchase
you make.

Saving is a whole lot simpler when you don’t have to think about it. That’s the idea behind Keep the Change. When you enroll, each time you buy something with your Bank of America Check Card, we’ll round up your purchase to the nearest dollar amount and transfer the difference from your checking account to your savings account. You get to keep the change – so every cup of coffee, gift, meal and tank of gas add up to more savings for you. What could be easier?

We’ll even match your savings
We’ll match your Keep the Change savings for the first 3 months, to the penny. After that, we’ll continue matching 5% a year. The maximum total match is $250 per year.

Fineprint: We match 100% of the amount of your Keep the Change transfers during the first three months after you enroll, and we will match 5% thereafter. The maximum total match is $250 per year.

Lets see. You use your card, they move the rounded off change to your savings, and then they match your savings or 5% of it. Yes, I'm sure its a cash back program. :rolleyes:

This minimum deposit required to open a new, personal checking account and receive the $75 offer is $100.

We will make every attempt to directly deposit the $75 into your new Bank of America checking account.

If for any reason we are unable to do so, a check will be issued as a replacement.

We will deposit the money within 90 days of opening your new account.

Limit one check per household.

To the extent required by law, Bank of America will report the value of the offer to the IRS on Form 1099.

Any applicable taxes are the responsibility of the account holder.

dont you just love the fine print, still makes me wonder what the minimum amount of money you have to have in the account is so that you wont be charged any fees.

http://www.bankofamerica.com/promos/jump/ktc/

Lets see. You use your card, they move the rounded off change to your savings, and then they match your savings or 5% of it. Yes, I'm sure its a cash back program. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I wonder why that wasn't on the page I linked to? Ok, so you do get cashback. 5% of your change. I suppose I'd have to do the math to figure out if I would be better off taking 5% of all change or 2% (or whatever it is) that Citi offers on certain types of goods. And thanks for the rollseyes icon. I really appreciate that because I was insulting to you?

I have been with BOA for years. I opened the checking account with $750 minimum deposit, which gives me free unlimited online bill payments options.

Now they started a new with out Deposit slip deposit from ATM machine. All you do is insert your bank of america card, and then deposit your check directly with out a deposit slip in your account. It is a pretty neat IMOP, no more deposit slips to fill or trying to remember your bank account.

This is awesome, the BoA near me just put this in. Slide in card, insert check, confirm that it scanned correctly and the policies say it will post to the account as long as you get it in before 8PM (I think). Beats standing in line at any rate.

Not sure if this was mention before, didn't bother reading the whole thread.

I've had BOA since I was a kid, yes you can start a saving account. They do have thier flaws, maybe more than other banks. Here's the thing, BOA is for people who have money and money to put into the bank. After you reach a certain amount, they give you a lot of leeway i.e remove some of the fees. I haven't had to pay any fees for a long time and I plan to keep it that way...for a long time if not forever. Even then you can call CS and have them reverse the fee because you "didn't know". Works a lot of times. Going to school with one of their reps help me in the know too. In general I think they are a great bank with ease of access. BOA is not for everyone. I am not trying to hype them up either. This is just my experience.

BoA screws people. Sadly their on one of my credit cards. I had a balance of $0.00 and the next day they charged me with a .24 cent interest few. Interest Rate times $0.00 =... 0!!

BoA screws people. Sadly their on one of my credit cards. I had a balance of $0.00 and the next day they charged me with a .24 cent interest few. Interest Rate times $0.00 =... 0!!

Did you call them and ask why? Maybe it was from a previous balance. Remember that interest recur (sp?) everyday, not just at the end of the month.

I've worked for Universal Card a long time ago. If you "revolved" the balance, meaning were not paying it off in full every month, then you incurred a finance charge on the previous bill. You paid what was one bill according to the date it was printed. Residual finance charges have accrued from the statement until they recieved the payment, which is based on you average daily balance. It's normal for credit cards to do this and even states it you or cardholder agreement.

Regard this offer:
I'm wondering if I can get a third bonus after opening a third checking account. I remember the terms specifically said previous BOA customers were not eligible. But yet they gave me my $100 bonus despite the fact that I got one for $50 over a year ago.The rep I spoke to on the second time said I would get it. I did. This time a rep told me the same. I called again and the second rep said I probably wouldn't.

Did you call them and ask why? Maybe it was from a previous balance. Remember that interest recur (sp?) everyday, not just at the end of the month.

I did and they offered no explanation as to why I was charged for a $0.00 balance.

I work for a Cash Advance place (I know, we rip people off, whatever) and part of the application process is that you bring in a 30 day bank statement. We look for NSF fees and stop payments. People with BoA accounts incur more charges on average than any other bank that we deal with (about 7 banks and probably 14 CU's). I have sent applicants to get a statement from them and they refused. Refused to print of a damn statement to one of their customers. They also do not print counter checks for customers, which is ridiculous to me, every other financial institution does. On top of that, my co-worker had the BoA Free Checking w/ Direct Deposit account, and he had automatic bill pay. The payments would go through on the same day as the deposit, but BoA would process EVERY SINGLE payment BEFORE the direct deposit, and charge $35 per bill. On one check he paid about $300 in fees. No other bank I deal with goes out of their way as much as BoA to screw their customers out of every cent possible. My gf mentioned getting an account through them so that she has a different bank than her parents, and I almost yelled "Don't do that."

HOWEVER, people who have been with BoA since about 2000 seem to be treated much better.

before, the 100$ deal worked on free student checking and multiple accounts, this does not.

You guys better do your research on Bank Loan Losses.. BOFA has more to come and is desperately trying to raise capital for reserve requirements.

Ge careful.. Citibank is still in a lot of trouble too.

The subprime slime is not over, and there are a lot of prime mortgages / loans that are delinquent too.

Right now, Wells Fargo still looks healthy.. Watch the stocks of these banks and look at their balance sheets..

All money up to 100k is insured by the FDIC. If Bank of America's CEO steals every last penny deposited, and moves to Mars you won't lose a penny....unless the U.S. government goes belly up too, which might happen some day, but not because the CEO moved to Mars with your money. ;)

If that happened, I'd be in on a group buy for an interplanetary strike missile ;)

.. And thanks for the rollseyes icon. I really appreciate that because I was insulting to you?

huh? it looks like a "whatever" smiley to me... so thats why I used it. Ahh... so it could also mean sarcastic... I guess... whatever, its an emoticon, lol. i guess i shoulda used :confused: nah... i'm goin for more of the uh... o_O ... or -_-

LMAO...Its not a cash back program...ITS YOUR MONEY DUDE.....all your doing is letting them put YOUR change into a savings act so THEY CAN MAKE MONEY ON IT......

sheep I say.....

They match whatever goes in there for the first x transactions per month, so it is a semi savings program.

And +1 to the guy with campus edge checking, I have the same thing. While they do actually charge you for overdrafts/NSF, since you're a student you get one 'oopsie!' per billing period, so you can take off any single fee they assess a month for whatever reason.

Mine has this weird account where they charge you like $3/month if you don't have a balance over XXXX.. can't remember, OR if you don't want or can't carry a balance xxxx big, you can get around the fee by simply setting up a $25 transfer to your savings account each month. Once that transfer is made (you can set it up to make it go automatically) you can just transfer it back to checking.. stupid imo.. but whatever.

Edit: The new deposit ATMs are wicked sweet. Reason enough..

USAA ftw.

They now ONLY accept Military (Active or reserved or related to) customers. I was a 'normal' customer, but when I tried to add my wife to my account after being with them, they stated new usaa rule prevents them from having any more civilian accounts.

I left them and opened up an account at a local credit union.

USAA is the best ever. no fees at all besides overdraft(maybe?). they pay all ATM fees and I get to deposit all checks and money orders at home via scanner, and they dont hold my money for days for check clearing like everyone else I have encountered. Great auto insurance too lol. I got in 10 months ago or so because my Dad has their auto insurance.
BofA really is horrible..... the only thing I have from them is a VISA. 17% APR eww.... but I like being in debt lol....

I have been with BOA for a year now and I am working with the wife to get our funds out of their hands. Nor do I like the fact that they are buying up all the little guys taking out the competition.

*rant*
All they do when I come to the couter is ask me if I want antoher card, or how about you move your money into and IRA savings or what about a loan....Damn it all I want is a withdral not 10k questiions. I did not realise that I had to put on a personal SPAM filter to go to the counter.

KM

I have been with BOA for years. I opened the checking account with $750 minimum deposit, which gives me free unlimited online bill payments options.

Now they started a new with out Deposit slip deposit from ATM machine. All you do is insert your bank of america card, and then deposit your check directly with out a deposit slip in your account. It is a pretty neat IMOP, no more deposit slips to fill or trying to remember your bank account.

it's a pain the the fucking ass when it wont take any checks and you have to feed it one check or dollar bill at a time. It's even better when you go inside and they charge you a fee for using a teller because their new machine is a piece of shit.

it's a pain the the fucking ass when it wont take any checks and you have to feed it one check or dollar bill at a time. It's even better when you go inside and they charge you a fee for using a teller because their new machine is a piece of shit.

They charge you for teller service? What BOA is this? What do you mean it doesn't take any checks? Use the deposit envelope for checks and cash.

heh, it such a piece of shit that its all over the place.

Use online banking, it easy and even easier to keep track of your transactions.

I don't know what BofA you go to, but I NEVER got charged for going to a teller.

And you don't have to put one dollar bill at a time. You can put feed it 40 bills. Besides, who deposits dollar bills?

I just opened a checking account at Chase, they're pretty much BoA x 12 at being awsome.

I hate BOA but unfortunately I havn't switched banks yet. They will hit you with ridiculous fees any chance they get. I called them to complain one time and the guy was a total asshole about the whole situation.

Recently worked for a business that had over $30,000 stolen by a Bank of America employee. After bringing this to the attention of BOA, expecting a serious investigation, BOA essentially said 'You can't prove it'. Their investigation consisted of asking the suspect employee whether they had done it. They did re-assign the employee. Ooooh! They were only interested in avoiding any responsibility. Needless to say, the company then pulled their commercial account. This certainly put Bank of America firmly on my blacklist.

:eek: Did that really happen? Sounds pretty illegal.

Screw bank of america (Nations). I will never use them again. And tell anyone I can not to.

BOA sucks as long as I can tell. Online banking is poor, it doesn't have widescreen support, so the half screen is white.. Online bill pay details lack some info too. Compre to Chase, BOA sucks.

BOA sucks as long as I can tell. Online banking is poor, it doesn't have widescreen support, so the half screen is white.. Online bill pay details lack some info too. Compre to Chase, BOA sucks.

Just because it does not have widescreen support does not mean its "poor". I wouldn't want widescreen for the fact that I do not want to scan the whole screen (32") for the info I want which is pretty direct already. I card with 2 other major companies and if I can remember correctly they don't offer widescreen either. I don't use BOA to pay my bills unless its a BOA card. I use the site that the bill came from. Like I said earlier, BOA is not for everyone.

Why are you running a web browser full screen? At 16x10 (for most monitors under 22"), you could probably fit 2 web browsers on the screen....at 19x12, you could easily fit 2.

Maybe it's just me, but i haven't done full screen web browsing in at least 10 years (which is when i went from 1024x768 to 1600x1200)

And Chase is not a great bank. Cancel your card and get a new one....then accidentally make an electronic payment via check free to the old account. Now watch Chase accept the payment, not credit your account (no completely unreasonable) and then say they never received a payment, have no record of the account you made the payment against and then charge a late fee because you refuse to make further payments until they credit your account.

True story, and I've heard many others who've had problems with chase. I won't deal with them, but the truth is most huge banks have problems. The key for me was when i called CS and asked them to remove the fee (once they finally acknowledged the payment) they refused. I told the person then your choice is to credit back the $15.00, or lose my business forever. They chose the latter....and they've been asking me to come back ever since. I think they even called me once.

Why are you running a web browser full screen? At 16x10 (for most monitors under 22"), you could probably fit 2 web browsers on the screen....at 19x12, you could easily fit 2.

Maybe it's just me, but i haven't done full screen web browsing in at least 10 years (which is when i went from 1024x768 to 1600x1200)

And Chase is not a great bank. Cancel your card and get a new one....then accidentally make an electronic payment via check free to the old account. Now watch Chase accept the payment, not credit your account (no completely unreasonable) and then say they never received a payment, have no record of the account you made the payment against and then charge a late fee because you refuse to make further payments until they credit your account.

True story, and I've heard many others who've had problems with chase. I won't deal with them, but the truth is most huge banks have problems. The key for me was when i called CS and asked them to remove the fee (once they finally acknowledged the payment) they refused. I told the person then your choice is to credit back the $15.00, or lose my business forever. They chose the latter....and they've been asking me to come back ever since. I think they even called me once.

Well, at least for me, Chase online banking is more convenient than BOA. I don't have checking account at BOA, so I can't really tell anything about customer service. I know that all big banks have flaws and Chase is no different. They are always in some kind of BS when I come to the counter. That's why I prefer my local bank.

BoA sucks! worst bank i have ever used. before closing my wife's last acct with them last year, they tried to rip us off constantly. they used to hold payments we made on credit card balances for over a week (until past the due date), and then would charge us late fees. after getting smart to their late fee scam, i then would make only cash payments at the counter at the local BoA branch. guess what, they held CASH payments for over a week and charged us late fees.

i busted them regularly trying to stick us with a variety of other bogus charges and fees. if we were close to an account limit, they'd slap us with two or three random fees to push us over the limit ... so they could charge an over limit fee.

they also charge a fee if you want to cash a check drawn from a BoA account. BoA tried to charge me $10 for every check (drawn on a BoA account) i cashed. they even tried to charge me a $10 fee to cash a $12 check. i no longer accept BoA checks from my customers.

BoA also has the highest ATM fee of any bank in town. BoA charges $3 for ATM transactions, but all other banks and ATM companies only charge $1-2.

i stopped using BofA over 10 yrs ago since someone stole 500 bux off our account. if i remember right i think someone hack a atm card and used it at an atm.

Back