$100 cans with bass

mrtheshaggy

[H]ard|Gawd
My Nephew wanted me to take him toTarget for skull candy crushers that are 100 because he wants "crazy bass". I convinced him to get something else on Amazon and next day it.

So $100 and no external amp please.

these are what I'm rocking, they have a great sound and have good bass response with 40mm drivers.

If you want more bass look for ones with 50mm drivers like this

I'd be inclined to get him the 40mm drivers as they already go more than loud enough to fuck up his ears. If he really does want 'crazy bass' though then the 50mm ones should be more his thing. Both will work just fine without an amp, though I'm sure even one of those el cheapo ones would help power the 50mm ones. If the computer is the source it shouldn't be a problem as they are usually quite hot, but an iphone or zune or whatever might not be able to drive it as hard as he would like.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use SteelSeries Siberia V2 headphones and really like them. Think they go for $80-90, but I got them from onesaleaday on ebay for $35! They have 50mm drivers and are super comfy

Beyerdynamic DT440's, AKG 172HD, Shure SRH550DJ's or Audio Technica ATH-WS77's would probably work in that price range too

Last edited:
The Sony's are great for the price, they just don't have the "cool" factor. But they will sound better than any consumer "cool" headphones in the same price bracket, heck twice the same price!

I use THESE and love them.

I'll 2nd the Sony MDR-7506 for unamplified sources. it is easy to drive and non-fatiguing overall. some other over-ear models and "celebrity" heaphones (eg. Beats etc.) might sound more bassy, but these would have good quality in the rest of the spectrum and the MDR-7506s handle EQ-ing very well if you want a bit moe bass or just want to tweak the sound signature.

On top of that, they are very durable, I used a pair for about 12 years , they fold up and have a good quality plug.

the one issue is the pads on the current ones are not the same quality of "pleather" as in years past but swapping the pads is cheap and easy if it is an issue.

here is some good info on the pad swap and the headphones in general.:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541837/pea...nal-earpads-for-sony-mdr-7506-mdr-v6-pictures

Last edited:
The Sony's are great for the price, they just don't have the "cool" factor. But they will sound better than any consumer "cool" headphones in the same price bracket, heck twice the same price!

I use THESE and love them.

^This

I've had these for years now and they sound fantastic. They don't artificially inflate bass like some of those toy ones will do, but they can certainly handle it no prob if you mess with the EQ.

What is the difference between the Sony MDR-V6 and the Sony MDR-7506? are they comfortable?

Currently using the Shure SRH440's and find them uncomfortable with weak bass, they are sharp for movies and durable construction but I kind of regret buying them.

What is the difference between the Sony MDR-V6 and the Sony MDR-7506? are they comfortable?

Currently using the Shure SRH440's and find them uncomfortable with weak bass, they are sharp for movies and durable construction but I kind of regret buying them.

They are virtually identical. I could not tell the difference.

They are comfortable enough for me even when I wear my glasses, there are aftermarket ear covers (I am sure there is a technical name for the surrounds) for those who do not like the stock ones.

I wear glasses with the Sony MDR-V6 and never have comfort issues even when wearing for hours while wow'ing. I have a large melon too. I have to wear fitted hats to get a comfortable fit.

Back