100/120/144Hz Monitor Owners Survey - How do you balance graphic fidelity vs. frame rate?

Kloudzero

n00b
I'm curious as to how people utilize their high Hz monitors. Mind taking a quick 1 question survey?

I'll share the results on Monday.

*And below are the results - Thanks to everyone for participating!

120Hz Monitor Gaming Survey

Last edited:
One criticism I have:
The presence of variable refresh rate technology and ULMB should have been included as a qualifier, as the results are going to be different based on that. Because I have a G-Sync monitor all I really care about is if the game can run above 60 FPS at all times, so that is what my answer is. If I had a static refresh rate monitor then I would sacrifice quality to get as close to max refresh rate as possible.

One criticism I have:
The presence of variable refresh rate technology and ULMB should have been included as a qualifier, as the results are going to be different based on that. Because I have a G-Sync monitor all I really care about is if the game can run above 60 FPS at all times, so that is what my answer is. If I had a static refresh rate monitor then I would sacrifice quality to get as close to max refresh rate as possible.

Well Gsync helps with tearing but it's not going to deliver the same smoothness, especially when panning.

Well Gsync helps with tearing but it's not going to deliver the same smoothness, especially when panning.
It's not going to deliver the same smoothness as 100 fps+ locked to your refresh rate no matter what, but it's definitely better than going one frame under and the whole thing shits the bucket in terms of judder or being hit hard by Vsync. This is pretty important in CPU-limited games.

Asus monitor owner here.
144hz 2560x1440

As long as my games are staying about 60fps, I max everything out. That hasn't been a problem yet for me with my 980ti

i have an Acer X34 and a Titan-X....I do what I have to to scale back a little to achieve close to 100FPS in most games without sacrificing quality to the point of "oh wow this looks like shit" -- i think if Pascal is as decent of an upgrade for single card users as I'm hoping I'll be perfectly happy with everything, hell, i pretty much am now for the most part

XB271HU and a 980ti. I keep my settings at whatever will give me 60+ FPS.

I take it you have not experienced G-Sync in person.

I've got an X34 that does Gsync and it's a good feature, but it can't compensate for a lower refresh rate. They're doing two different things. Gsync isn't going to make a 60Hz monitor look and perform like a 144Hz. It will, however, get rid of the tearing and without the performance hit of Vsync.

Ulmb - just say no

G/A-Sync yes yes yes. Haven't had as easy a time watching games since CRT.

I stick to 100hz or 120hz with gsync. Everything I play over 60 fps at 1440. Either lower settings a tad or whatever. Smooth > everything else for me. But I also don't fps anymore.

Back