$100.00 Cougar 1000w MODULAR PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsmc1

Limp Gawd
Many people said it was a POS, I wouldn't post anything i thought was a POS. Sorry.

Last edited:
Actually it's $149.99 - $40 coupon code and then -$10 MIR.

So that should have been clarified.

you are including the $10 mail in rebate, this will be $110 out of pocket

edit: ditto to ShepsCrook

You get what you pay for. The PSU is such an important component, I wouldn't trust that to a brand such as this.

I trust Cougar for fans... but power supplies? Who's the real OEM for this?

Actually I have one in another system and it works great and looks fairly well built. It's also very quiet. I say go for it.

To be honest I would trust it as much as I trust my SeaSonic in my main system.

From JohnnyGuru regarding the HEC Compucase Cougar 1000CM Modular PSU
Unfortunately what lets this PSU down is the performance. Never before have I seen such large ripple spikes across all rails on a PSU. 140mV on the +12v rail at idle is simply unacceptable and I can only hope that this is the result of a faulty sample rather than anything to do with the sparing use of unidentifiable capacitors on the secondary side of the unit. Things only got worse throughout the testing with ripple consistently breaking 200mV and sometimes even briefly coming close to 300mV although this happened to infrequently to catch in a screenshot.

Don't think you could pay me to use that PSU in a build requiring that much power.

Well, Damn guys. I apologize! I wouldn't of posted a shit product on purpose. Feel free to delete the entire post mods.

I've had the cmx1000 in my system for almost 2 years and its been great. Runs my i5 oc'd plus dual 7970's at 1125 with no issues. Very quiet also. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I've had the cmx1000 in my system for almost 2 years and its been great. Runs my i5 oc'd plus dual 7970's at 1125 with no issues. Very quiet also. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Means nothing to the rest of us after reading JohnnyGuru's review. The thing uses no-name parts (crap) that will slowly kill your hardware, or worst case scenario, start a fire as crap PSU's can do.

Also I believe when I researched this PSU before buying it there was some sort of problem in the earlier versions that was fixed with later revisions, regarding the rippling (in that 2009 review posted and others). As it stands now, it's a pretty decent PSU for the money.

edit:
And here is the link since the OP deleted it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553004

Last edited:
Also I believe when I researched this PSU before buying it there was some sort of problem in the earlier versions that was fixed with later revisions, regarding the rippling (in that 2009 review posted and others). As it stands now, it's a pretty decent PSU for the money.

edit:
And here is the link since the OP deleted it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553004

No offense, but I doubt any of the members here will be taking your advice, as you have been here for 3 months.

Anyone that needs 1000 watt PSU better buy quality, since they obviously spent a bunch of cash on components if they need that much power.

No offense, but I doubt any of the members here will be taking your advice, as you have been here for 3 months.

Anyone that needs 1000 watt PSU better buy quality, since they obviously spent a bunch of cash on components if they need that much power.

If someone judges the worth of a post by the time that poster has been registered to a forum, then that someone is a complete imbecile.

The early reviewed versions had some bad caps. The current ones are using Japanese capacitors and good VRMs. Cougar is pretty well received throughout Europe, especially in Germany.

http://www.tech-review.de/include.php?path=content/articles.php&contentid=8330&page=4

Personally, a German review holds a lot more weight than some random, uneducated opinion on the forums.

It's a decent PSU. Deal with it.

That's some elitist BS my friend. This PSU is good unit fully capable of delivering it's rated output. I don't know about you, but I love to save money on my PC parts. At the same time, I know what components are of at least decent quality and what could be potentially harmful to my system. This power supply is far from being one of those components. Plus, I heard Germans are pretty good engineers.

Also, I don't think the amount of time someone is registered on a forum is good indicator of their intelligence or experience with computers. Get a life bro.

I always see this shit in this forum about people hating on power supplies from lesser known brands. I agree there are a lot of units I'd never trust my system to run on a 24/7 basis. However, I've used units that I know certain members that I've seen would have shunned on this forum but that they haven't even used personally and had a bad experience with while I've personally used the PSU without ill effects.

I've seen people post in threads that they've had a PSU blow up, fail on them, or whatever. But this experience they've had only conveniently happens to come up in a thread. I never see these same people MAKE threads about these experiences. It just so happens they've conveniently had this experience to use in a thread to bolster their argument.

Last edited:
I think he is referring to the high level of shills we see regularly here on hardforum. If you've been here 3 months and post an unsubstantiated opinion without any proof or even arguments then you can expect to be ignored or reminded of these facts. It wasn't elitism, it was reality. I sure as hell wouldn't take his advice based on that post, would you?

Having said that, even the Newegg aggregate shows clearly that this is not a "defective" or "shoddy" power supply. The link the above poster posted to "Tech-Review.de" is for a Cougar 700w not the OP posted product. The brand Cougar (which, as others have mentioned, is actually HEC) is fairly new but HEC is not. Their 900w unit got a "Pass" here on hardocp in 2011 and that alone is enough for me to give them a look, because H's power supply testing is rigorous enough for my standards.

I don't know Overclock3D but they awarded the 1050w a Gold rating also.

All this anger distracts us from hating on the brands that really deserve our hatred, like OCZ.

I didn't mean he was trying to be an elitist because of the time registered, but because of how he made the power supply out to be something of a poor man's PSU when it's a unit fully capable of delivering it's rated voltage just like a similar 1000W from another well known brand. You don't always gotta empty your wallets on a system with high end components if you can find deals like this. Anyone buying this unit to power their system regardless how much they spend on the other components shouldn't worry about it not performing it's task admirably as long as they've calculated that a 1k PSU is required or adequate to power their system.

I do agree this anger should be focused on brands like OCZ. All of their PSU's except their really high end units and even some of those are overpriced and overrated for what they are. Sure, they'll power your system, but don't expect the 700w unit to actually deliver that when the day comes your system demands it lol. I've made myself out to be a mizer and I'd only trust a system to an OCZ unit if I had a scenario where the system used 400w max and ALL I had a 650w OCZ unit available to power it. It's a shame they've bought PCP&C and can't hold the same standards.

Last edited:
omg they bought PCP&C? FUCKING LAME. Sigh, another brand to add to my shitlist. :(

Uh..they bought PCP&C like 6 years ago.

And PCP&C didn't make the psu's anyway.

That said, I would still grab the seasonic 750 that's on sale over this one any day of the week. Who really needs 1kw any way? Even if you did need all that power why buy a budget, mediocre ( yes for those arguing this is a middle of the line meh unit) power supply for your machine? Seems rather stupid to me any way you look at it if you have a machine that needs that much power you have done serious money invested, get a better power supply.

That said, I would still grab the seasonic 750 that's on sale over this one any day of the week. Who really needs 1kw any way? Even if you did need all that power why buy a budget, mediocre ( yes for those arguing this is a middle of the line meh unit) power supply for your machine? Seems rather stupid to me any way you look at it if you have a machine that needs that much power you have done serious money invested, get a better power supply.

YUP.

The point is that you don't have to spend unnecessarily even if you have spend a lot of money on other components. Just because it's a great deal doesn't mean that it isn't a good PSU. You're using the logic that a quality product must always be expensive when in reality that's not the case. If you don't believe me ask the Catleap monitor users.

Also, If you'd take the SS 750W over the 1KW Cougar OP posted you're flat out stupid. The Seasonic 750W isn't capable of powering three cards.

The point is that you don't have to spend unnecessarily even if you have spend a lot of money on other components. Just because it's a great deal doesn't mean that it isn't a good PSU. You're using the logic that a quality product must always be expensive when in reality that's not the case. If you don't believe me ask the Catleap monitor users.

Also, If you'd take the SS 750W over the 1KW Cougar OP posted you're flat out stupid. The Seasonic 750W isn't capable of powering three cards.

I'm not picking sides or anything but I can't exactly agree 100% on that post.

I'm willing to take a look at this PSU and I can understand what other users are saying.

If you are building a system with 3 videocards and need a bunch of power... then why cut corners on the PSU of all parts?

I believe this PSU will hold out just fine but if I was spending $1500+ on a system I might as well throw in another $50 for a more reputable PSU with solid warranty service.

I highly doubt the catleap monitor can destroy any or as much components as a PSU if things went wrong. Reason why I can't agree with that analogy.

Sure it is. You haven't specified the cards. It will be more than capable of running a tri 660ti setup if someone wanted to and probably a 680 triple setup if they wanted.

Might want to watch the insults next time...especially when you're 100% wrong.

Last edited:
I would rather spend more money and get a known quality unit.

The PS is the last thing you want to skimp on. I dont even put crap in my backup/esxi rigs.

No, I'm using the logic that you're always better off buying a better psu from a better company with better components. Unfortunately that typically costs more.

Oh and lol art buying a triple video card setup and cheaping out on the power supply.

Using a cheap monitor is such a fantastic comparison right...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back