10 Worst Things About Building A New Gaming PC

I think people here are taking the article too seriously. I took it as tongue-in-cheek and thought it was funny.

Especially the thermal paste part where the comments are exactly as he described...everyone has their own method and they're not afraid to tell you.

I read it as someone from a website with extreme console bias trying to build his first computer and just scouring website forums. No one has ever tried to tell me any method works better than the other for TIM, although I associate with reasonable people who have greater things to worry about in life.

This was a pretty funny write-up.

Very true on the LED/switch lead connectors! That may be literally the most annoying part of putting together a new rig.

I still have the Athlon CPU and spacer from my first build. I remember being so CERTAIN I was gonna crush it putting on the heatsink. Everything went perfect.

AMDAthlonwithspacer_zps1b56b81a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I always use the X Method for applying thermal paste.

pic_disp_php_id_22016_width_800_height_800.jpg

Was going to ream this guy for such a "click bait" article but since he also put up a "10 Best Things", will let it slide.. although #8 & 9 on the "Best" aren't exclusively just for DYI builds. Both articles aren't thought out very well.

Unfortunately for me, #7 on the "Best" rarely happens the first time!! :(

I find Newgg Paul boring but wouldn't mind his job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Not saying you are doing it wrong but applying the TIM that way is not really necessary since the actual CPU itself is right in the center of the heat spreader. You simply have to put a pea sized amount in the center and spread lightly or just let the HS spread it for you. I have yet to reapply TIM on any CPU, but I have had to clean up friends installs because they did something similar to you.Putting the TIM on the edges risks the material seeping out and possibly onto the board which could cause issues especially if its conductive.

The sole purpose of thermal grease is to remove the microscopic gaps of air between spreader and HS.

My first build went horribly, horribly wrong. I plugged in the AT power connectors incorrectly and burnt it to a crisp. Very sad. That was the only one I ever broke. The little stuff like hooking up pin headers wrong or accidentally grabbing the wrong screw and misthreading in to a stand off has happened, though.

My last ten builds, though, I've got a perfect record. First build, first boot, first install of Windows with no hiccups. Of course I'm not building them nearly as often anymore.

You will go to extraordinary lengths to keep your screws organized and tidy, but if you're like me, you will try to do this by using small bowels from the kitchen...

Did it not disturb anyone else that this guy uses organs as kitchen utensils?

Wow. If he can't apply thermal paste properly I wonder if he has trouble wiping his ass.

Whole article sounds like a console-boy come PC newbie building his first big boy machine. Complaining that a PC is never fast enough (or not for long) applies to pretty much everything in life and is not an argument against building a PC or for getting a slower console. It's twisted logic, but some may argue that at least with consoles, you have no choice about the level of performance, so you can't agonize over it. For thermal paste, just torque the bolts down tightly enough whatever method you use.

Also, why does the image of screws & bolts not show a single screw or bolt actually used when building a computer? None handy? The author would probably be more comfortable building an Ikea desk or something.

I learned one thing from this article. I did not realize there were so many different methods (right or wrong) people use to apply thermal paste. I've been building PCs since around 95 and the most logical way always seemed to be to put a dollop of paste in the center and let the pressure of the tightened heatsink do the rest. I find the idea of trying to spread that goo yourself to be ridiculous.

Like others here I always hated putting on the heatsink during the early days of building for fear of cracking my new cpu or motherboard.

Those front panel wires are always annoying but I wouldn't consider them hard or the "worst" thing.

I've only destroyed one component since I started building PCs. In 2001 I left in an extra standoff which shorted out the board. I've never felt dumber while trying to return something...

Well I'm about to upgrade, and the worst problem is MONEY.

I cant afford mobo/cpu/ssd/win7x64 all in one go, if I choose mobo/cpu I cant utilize all my 8gb ram as I only got 32bit OS (yes i have 8gb but currently only using 4gb), and if I choose ssd/win7 it wont run at full speed as my current mobo only got sata2.

So I'll have to split it up over 2 months, probably going with ssd/win7 first mopnth, mobo/cpu next.

Bah.

And nowhere in the article does it mention the sickening creak LGA sockets make when lowering the latch.

Confirmed for bullshitter.

I remember my first build... it was a fantastic experience and didn't have as many issues as this guy.

They ground you and discharge the static electricity that's built up from all that time you spend sliding over your carpets in your socks

Why would you scoot around with socks on your carpet if you're building a computer?

This thread is a good example of Americans not getting self-deprecating sarcastic humour. As a Brit I thought it was hilarious. Things like using kitchen bowls to divide up the screws, which I totally don't do *shifty eyes*

Lighten up you bunch of grumblers :p

I would say: GET LAID!:p
That was a humor article, but some people just don't get it.

The method for applying thermal paste almost doesn't matter, as long as you don't use way too much. These are problems people can only have if they worry about how to do something without considering why.

There seems to be some confusion between thermal compound and thermal adhesive. They are not the same thing. Paste is sticky, holds the heatsink to the chip, and you spread an ample amount of it out to get a good hold. Compound is not sticky and you use as little as possible and don't spread it out to fill in microscopic gaps in the surface of the metal. Compound is what you use on heatsinks that are mechanically held down with screws, clips, etc. which includes most (if not all) modern desktop processors.

I still have the Athlon CPU and spacer from my first build. I remember being so CERTAIN I was gonna crush it putting on the heatsink. Everything went perfect.

I got the spacer after I crushed my Athlon, unfortunately. :D

I'm bored, I'll nitpick him.

2. Spending $100 on a new Windows license

Well first Apples OS isn't free so that point is moot, Using the OS on the XB1 is a piss poor example and I reuse my OEM license of Windows when I upgrade. So really no clue what he is talking about other than a possible early admission he hasn't the faintest clue what he is doing.

It may not be free, but it's just $20. And just because you can easily trick Microsoft into re-authorizing your OEM does does not mean you aren't violating the license. It's just like any other frequently pirated product, chances are if the price was lowered or protections were relaxed most people would just pay for it.

It may not be free, but it's just $20. And just because you can easily trick Microsoft into re-authorizing your OEM does does not mean you aren't violating the license. It's just like any other frequently pirated product, chances are if the price was lowered or protections were relaxed most people would just pay for it.

Comparing the cost of OS X to Windows is meaningless. Especially in the context of building a device and then selecting an OS which is something that isn't supported by OS X.

what a load of crap. it's not hard at all to build a computer unless you want to run linux on it... then... yea, you need all the tech forums and video guides you can get :p

This guy is a whiner.

On my second build, I spent 3 days trying to figure out what I did wrong and why I could not get windows to load on the PC. It would start instaling and then fail. Turned out, NewEgg sent me a broken hard drive.

I'll agree with #7 only... although I'm hesitant to say that because apparently all of you are god damn engineering gods and no one can ever have an issue with anything hardware related.

I'll agree with #7 only... although I'm hesitant to say that because apparently all of you are god damn engineering gods and no one can ever have an issue with anything hardware related.
It has nothing to do with being an engineering God and everything to do with having the tiniest shred of mechanical ability.

1. Judgy people - Only a problem for people who either a) care or b) didn't research their parts.

2. Windows license - I bought Windows 8 for $30 when it was first released and sat on it until last month. Thinking ahead solved that problem.

3. People actually use anti-static straps?

4. Screws - They're included with everything and they're all standard. How is this a problem?

5. The thing you need but don't have - For n00bs who can't plan ahead.

6. People over think thermal paste. They really do.

7. Those tiny front-LED cables - Needle nosed pliers and a flashlight or lose a couple of pounds fatty.

8. The games that still don't run smoothly – meet the specs, install the drivers, run the game. Easy.

9. Manufacturers have made overclocking so simple it's retarded. An issue 10 years ago, not so much now.

10. If it's not fast enough buy better hardware.

It has nothing to do with being an engineering God and everything to do with having the tiniest shred of mechanical ability.

Yeah, I got a tad mechanical ability, however tiny locations that are cramped in a case can be problematic. So much so that you never want to build a PC ever again? No, but lets not pretend that someone who has an issue with something is a "retard who should go back to consoles"

Comparing the cost of OS X to Windows is meaningless. Especially in the context of building a device and then selecting an OS which is something that isn't supported by OS X.

But the statement still stands, if you are trying to do it legally that $100 is a big chunk out of your budget which puts some people off. As time goes on and things like the browser or app store becomes more important than the OS it's going to become a bigger problem. This is why you are starting to see ad supported, or out right free versions for specific devices. Otherwise people would go with linux or android and be perfectly fine.

Intel changing cpu sockets every week just to screw people over should be on this list.

But the statement still stands, if you are trying to do it legally that $100 is a big chunk out of your budget which puts some people off. As time goes on and things like the browser or app store becomes more important than the OS it's going to become a bigger problem. This is why you are starting to see ad supported, or out right free versions for specific devices. Otherwise people would go with linux or android and be perfectly fine.

$100 USD really isn't a lot of money these days, especially for something that can last for 3 years. Sure you can install Linux on a gaming PC and save that $100 and a whole lot more considering the games that you won't need to buy because they don't run on Linux. The issue of the cost of Windows has long been a point that Linux folks have made. It's just not worked out for desktop Linux because in spite of the cost of desktop Windows, desktop Linux just doesn't have the support.

$100 USD really isn't a lot of money these days, especially for something that can last for 3 years.

Yeah, and Windows can last a lot longer than 3 years. I mean, Windows XP was supported until very recently, and Windows 7 will probably still run most applications for years to come. Extended support for Windows 7 will last until 2020. There's rarely a need to upgrade from whatever version of Windows came with your computer.

So really, versions of Windows are supported for closer to 5-10 years.

In fact, I got Windows 8 Pro for only $40 when it first came out, and then got a free upgrade to 8.1 from there. I thought it was a pretty good deal since I like Metro and find that the system performance is just as good.

I'm bored, I'll nitpick him.....

thank you for the review of the review Dekoth-E. I had barely started when my brain began to sieze up.

Meh. Everyone was an idiot their first time, unless they had a vet holding their hand in person. Course most people weren't silly enough to fill column inches about it

I remember the 486/50 I I had bought. It was so beautiful I had to take it out a few times :D Back then they had a small part of one corner lopped off to designate orientation BUT the pins were perfectly symatrical on all sides and you couldn't see it with the heatsink fan cradle cupping it......I inserted it rotated 90 degrees :mad:

Back