10 Ways Blu-ray Is Letting Movie Lovers Down

I bought one Blu-Ray from Wal-Mart. Resident Evil Degeneration. $13.99.

The last time I went for a Blu-Ray it was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1. It was $9.99 at Best Buy. There is nothing wrong with the price of Blu-Ray movies unless you purposefully go seek out the most expensive ones for the sole purpose of complaining.

You trolling or what, seriously, virtually all newer movies are 20+ bucks at wal mart.

Of coure if you wait a whle they'll drop in price, the point is that they ar estill having 20-30 bucks a pop at the start.

I bought one Blu-Ray from Wal-Mart. Resident Evil Degeneration. $13.99.

The last time I went for a Blu-Ray it was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1. It was $9.99 at Best Buy. There is nothing wrong with the price of Blu-Ray movies unless you purposefully go seek out the most expensive ones for the sole purpose of complaining.

Wait a minute you bought that piece of shit B movie Resident Evil Degeneration :)?

Most Blu-Rays are going for around 20 to 30 dollars. Sure there are B&M stores that offer sales on Blu-Rays.

Hi, 2012 here again. They recommend you move to Europe. 100Mb (with the option of 200Mb) downlink, no caps.

Now all we need is a legal alternative to torrents.

It has nothing to do with living in Europe or the US or anywhere else. The problem currently lies in the fact that no streaming service or download service provides the same bitrate as Blu-ray, nice attempt at a troll through.

You trolling or what, seriously, virtually all newer movies are 20+ bucks at wal mart.

Of coure if you wait a whle they'll drop in price, the point is that they ar estill having 20-30 bucks a pop at the start.

Yup. List (release) price is almost always $30.

Buying movies on DVD seems a waste to me --- how many times do people actually re-watch a movie?? Once is enough for me.. I can see, on occasion, watching a movie a second time because it is the type that has replay value, because a friend hasn't seen it, or maybe it's a children's movie. There is a particular reason that DVDs have such a huge depreciation...

Buying movies on DVD seems a waste to me --- how many times do people actually re-watch a movie?? Once is enough for me.. I can see, on occasion, watching a movie a second time because it is the type that has replay value, because a friend hasn't seen it, or maybe it's a children's movie. There is a particular reason that DVDs have such a huge depreciation...

I've seen some movies dozens of times. Terminator 2 for instance, one of my favorite movies, I've seen probably 30+ times. Same with the Star Wars movies, Matrix movies, etc.

Not all movies are worth re-watching but if I think a movie is good I'll usually watch it at least 2-3 times.

I like to re-watch movies that have sequels coming out soon - a sort of refresher course, if you will.

Other than that, I only re-watch movies when we have company and they pick a movie. There's also the 12 year old and 6 year old who likes to re-watch the same movies 20 times before picking another one :-P

Its amazing how I said this 2 pages ago yet I got flamed for it. I completely agree with you.

You can buy Terminator 2 from target for $5 on blu-ray (cheapest movie they have in the store). A lot of other ones are $10 aswell. Just an FYI for you thrifty blu-ray shoppers. Target has some really good deals.

I have 3 DVDs. The first two Matrix movies, and Black Hawk Down. I've watched all of those a bunch of times so it was worth it. But 99% of movies...naw.

Not trolling at all. When you say "$20 to $30" what do you mean exatly? You act like $20 is a problem. DVD's were $20 ultimately dropping once Blu-Ray finally hit. I don't see the issue. There are multiple versions of Blu-Ray discs that come out with a new release. If you actually bought Blu-Ray's you'd know that. There's normally the version with just the movie itself and little or no extras at around $9.99 at Best Buy. Then you've got the version with special features for $19.99 and the "special" or "extended" editions for around $30.

Blu-Ray prices simply are not as insane as people here seem to think. DVD is on the way out, suck it up. ;)

I must admit I have yet to really justify buying a BD player. I just can't get excited about it. I guess I've bought most of my fave classic movies two or three times already (VHS/Widescreen VHS then DVD) and I really can't be bothered to buy them again.

The reason that occurred to me after I bought mine: Because for $120 you get an awesome high definition streaming player that also plays blu-ray movies.

Not trolling at all. When you say "$20 to $30" what do you mean exatly? You act like $20 is a problem. DVD's were $20 ultimately dropping once Blu-Ray finally hit. I don't see the issue. There are multiple versions of Blu-Ray discs that come out with a new release. If you actually bought Blu-Ray's you'd know that. There's normally the version with just the movie itself and little or no extras at around $9.99 at Best Buy. Then you've got the version with special features for $19.99 and the "special" or "extended" editions for around $30.

Blu-Ray prices simply are not as insane as people here seem to think. DVD is on the way out, suck it up. ;)

Quoting myself.

Also something else you have to look at is a lot of these Blu-Ray packages also come with the DVD version as well as a digital download. Very much worth it if you ask me.

The only movie release I waited a long time to get the Bluray treatment was The Big Lebowski. The DVD version was crap. Watching it in HD was a huge difference.

IIRC a lot of people complained about the video being over-processed with that release, some were saying the hd-dvd was better. Did the video treatment bother you at all?

I'm a big fan of the film though but don't have it yet.

Back to being relevant, I agree on the pricing of blu-ray not being as bad as some make it out to be. If you are a decent shopper you can get away with $10-$15 blu's. From my DVD buying days I feel the prices have normalized over the years. If you are looking for some obscure blu ray movie then it's not unusual for it to be $30+ but DVD's were pretty much the same.

The top is stll mising the ultimate #1...17 hours of unskippable bullshit before you can actually watch the title. If they honestly had a switch on blu-ray players that when enabled just played the movie...people would be a hell of a lot happier in their movie purchase/rental and would be more than likely to not give a shit about the rest of the top 10.

I actually like the "Rental" only discs I get from RedBox. No extra features minimal ads and the movie.

I hate those discs, typically Disney movies, where you can't hit the menu button because "That function is not supported/allowed".

I am merely stating facts, you seem to think they aren't high, but compared to dvd prices of new releases (before blu ray) they are in general higher then what dvds were.

I know you can find them cheaper later on, I do buy blu rays myself and have plenty of them (about 60 of them or so).

I spend only 15< on them unless it's a special set I really want or a box set (LOTR, Matrix, Ben Hur, etc).

Onto other topics, I buy blu rays of movies that I know I'll watch again, that are to me classics.

Robocop
Man with no name trilogy
Matrix
Lord of the Rings
Conan (Arnold version)
Alien collection
Blade Runner
etc.

If you have a good high definition tv and sound system for high end sound movies just aren't the same as watching a dvd.

Watch a movie like Aliens or Blade Runner vs dvd to blu ray, it's quite a differences.

The unskippable ads are the worst, and why I don't pay for movies anymore (nor do I go to the movies, either, because people don't know how to act in a theater)

No Netflix, as I run Linux.

No blu-ray here, just DVD, and that was enough. The worst experience so far with a disc has to be the original "The Fast and The Furious". It had interminable FBI screens, in different languages no less, then trailers, and none of it could be skipped, with any combo of button pressing. I got about halfway through it, mainly wanting to hear the big Mopar at the end (I know it was fake but the sound effects might've been good on my sub setup) when the disc reset back to the start. All those FBI screens again, the ads, again, when all I wanted was the scene at the end- I ejected the disc and, in a fit, destroyed it with an awl.

That was the last retail movie I bought, and will ever buy.

white van ftw

So I timed it yesterday on my Game of Thrones blurays on my Oppo BD-93

From the time the disc is inserted to the first warning screen appearing is exactly one minute if it shows up at all. If it takes longer than one minute it appears to never come up. This is a black screen with no feedback that it's working.

From the time of the first warning appearing to a functional menu appearing averages 70 seconds.
There are no previews (thankfully).

Over 2 minutes from the time the disc is inserted to when I can select an episode on the disc to watch....
This is with BD-Live disabled.... when I enabled BD-Live there was no change in the time but the video was choppy.

More anti-Bluray rhetoric.

Most new movies arent $29.99. Only an idiot would say such a thing.

The problem is not with the media, it's with the content. People don't like blu rays because you drop $20 - $30 on a disc and it's garbage that you watch once, maybe twice (excluding the rare, quality movies). Streaming is attractive because you don't feel ripped off because its cost is imperceptible (maybe a fraction of your $8 monthly netflix fee).

I love watching a good blu ray, especially when I only pay $1.50 to get it from red box (who cares if I have to wait a month.) Give me mind blowing audio and video and eliminate the possibility of an annoying re-buffer at crucial moments in the movie. I don't care about the unskippable ads either (even though they are annoying). I just pop the disc in way before I want to watch the movie.

I'm dreading the shift to streaming because it's happening too soon for internet bandwidth to handle. When iTunes opened, songs were encoded at 128k bitrates with a lossy algorithm. 128K! lossy! Now we're all the way up to 256k! Still lossy! Sure, a lot of people are ok with that, but think of the giant step backwards we took for convenience and cost. Same thing is happening with video all over again. My kids can watch compressed episodes of Avatar the Last Airbender, but I want to watch the Dark Night in all its glory and at the moment blu ray is the only medium that delivers.

The problem is not with the media, it's with the content. People don't like blu rays because you drop $20 - $30 on a disc and it's garbage that you watch once, maybe twice (excluding the rare, quality movies). Streaming is attractive because you don't feel ripped off because its cost is imperceptible (maybe a fraction of your $8 monthly netflix fee).
Why are you buying garbage movies in the first place and then blaming Blu-Ray? lol?

Why are you buying garbage movies in the first place and then blaming Blu-Ray? lol?
I'm not - I don't buy discs. Haven't bought one since the Matrix came out on DVD. I'm just relaying observations. For example, someone gave us a copy of the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie as a gift - I wanted to tell them that they should've just given me $30 cash.

My point is that blu ray technology is fine. It's the content that is "letting movie lovers down".

Back