10 things a web developer should do for the client

adam30k

Gawd
I have this article bookmarked from 2006 and I use it for reference when working on web sites for myself. I was curious nowadays if there's anything in the article you consider outdated or things that should be in an updated version of the article..

[Article Source]

The article's first point should be "Work with the customer's environment". You may not have 100% control on certain aspects, and need to be adept and willing to adjust to make things work in the existing environment (and with those supporting that environment).

The article is adequate as a jump start written for the "... for Dummies" perspective, but it's nothing monumental. Once you've completed a few decently-scoped websites for different customers, then each of those points should be completely engrained as habit.

Yeah, pretty much all habit by now for me.

The biggest struggle with web design is defining the scope up front, so that everyone is on the same page. Scope creep of adding features, integrations, custom content, etc. can be very painful.

Yeah, pretty much all habit by now for me.

The biggest struggle with web design is defining the scope up front, so that everyone is on the same page. Scope creep of adding features, integrations, custom content, etc. can be very painful.

Good point, I work for a large automotive vendor, with an in house
intranet.
Our developers, obtain written requirements in advance and require
our users to sign off, either on each step or the final project. We supply a
template of what the interface would look like, to kick things off. There
department head, allocates the programming time to there budget.

If the project is completed, and our users protest over the work done, we
refer to there signoff. If they still want changes made, new requirements
are drawn up, they sign off again and pay up again.

When you can hold project costs to project requirements, they learn real
quick to get it right the first time around. Money talks.

It also eliminates any blame game, when things are written down.

Back