10 Reasons You Shouldn't Upgrade To Windows 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you base your OS upgrade decisions on a top 10 list of reasons NOT to upgrade (in slideshow format to boot), you probably shouldn't be upgrading.....anything.....ever. In fact, it's probably a good idea to leave your helmet on in the house too. ;)

Microsoft, to its credit, makes no bones about the information it’s collecting in Win10. Of course, if you’ve been using Google search, Gmail, or Google Drive on a free account, or Chrome, you’ve already been examined 10 ways from Tuesday. Microsoft is entering the Google league, and if you decide to take the plunge, you should do so with your eyes open. Is “Moogled” a word?

Funny. Win10 is better than 8.1 in every way imaginable if you use your computer as an actual desktop.

Majority of "gripes" mentioned can be switched on or off. Come on, who writes this shit? Lots of click bait articles as of late, the trend is getting out of hand.

Funny. Win10 is better than 8.1 in every way imaginable if you use your computer as an actual desktop.

Majority of "gripes" mentioned can be switched on or off. Come on, who writes this shit? Lots of click bait articles as of late, the trend is getting out of hand.

I didn't even bother clicking... lol

That's how I feel. I hated Windows 8.1 with every fiber of my being. Windows 10 has been a huge improvement for me.

I like how the article says it has 452 comments, but when you scroll down, there's only 17.

I actually clicked it, but didn't bother with the freakin slideshow, just wanted to see the comments, I face palmed lol

Or you can disable all that crap and live happily ever after.

No you cant. The only way to stop it is to actively block it at the firewall. Turning off the switches does nothing. Windows 10 WILL spy on you. Now this isn't usually a big deal for tech companies, but for MS it is. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to deploy Win 10
(even enterprise) in a corporate environment because I cannot guarantee its safe without watching the wire 24/7.

10 Reasons you should not upgrade to Windows 95 from 3.1.

Oh, and thank you Steve for giving us the heads up on the slide show format. The one best reason for not even bothering to view that site. Slide shows = laziness or worse, shoving more ads in your face and Google data mining. :D

I use classicshell in Win8.1 which is better than the start menu in Win10. My 8.1 boots to the desktop, has no charms bullshit and has a fully functioning start menu just like in Win7.

I only made it to number 7. Two of the mentioned things apply to me though. The mail app rarely opens.. apparently this is because there is an update for it. Yet the update in the Store won't complete. Pretty annoying and the second is the change to a full blown desktop OS on tablets. I really enjoyed the metro screen on 8.1 (tablet specific of course).

The second issue is really my fault by not looking at these changes before upgrading. So I just suffer through it.

I consider anyone who upgrades to a new windows OS within the first year an alpha tester. :p I run Linux now but when I did run windows I'd always gave a new OS a good year before considering it as my main production OS. Heck even with Linux just because a new version of my distro comes out I wont upgrade the next day. Sure I'll play with a new OS in a VM or what not but not on my production machine till I think it's ready. Heck, my company is still in the process of doing the xp to 7 migration. I don't imagine them even thinking about 10 for a long time.

In the case of windows 10 the privacy issues are pretty scary never mind the rest. But I'm sure in a couple months from now someone will have combed through all that and write a script or app that kills all that stuff. What's crazy is how most people don't even care about their privacy, this tells companies and the government that they don't care if they get spied on. This spying stuff is only going to continue getting worse if the majority of public don't even care. "I have nothing to hide" is piss poor attitude towards the problem.

What I'm curious about is how long it will take before Microsoft's spy data collection servers get hacked. I'm sure some Russian hackers will find a way to send specially formed data in such a way that they can gain remote control of the servers and can dump all the data on the internet, such as the 35MB of web cam footage it takes when you plug in a web cam.

I'm surprised the EU havent kicked up a storm over it.
Perhaps its coming, I hope so.

No you cant. The only way to stop it is to actively block it at the firewall. Turning off the switches does nothing. Windows 10 WILL spy on you. Now this isn't usually a big deal for tech companies, but for MS it is. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to deploy Win 10
(even enterprise) in a corporate environment because I cannot guarantee its safe without watching the wire 24/7.
Just use some of that tin foil on the wire and you can stop watching it.

Because you can turn it off. And if you still believe they're watching, what makes you feel safe on 7 or 8? Or XP?

Because you can turn it off. And if you still believe they're watching, what makes you feel safe on 7 or 8? Or XP?

Can you provide proof that turning it off stops data being leaked?
There other threads with counter experiences.

I am safe because I have very tight security.
Not even MS get to talk to my PC unless I decide.
Its also something that has not been flagged as an issue so there is less cause to be concerned.

I don't use 8. Windows 7 was developed before telemetry became the in-thing. Further, we have been watching windows 7 for a LONG time and have its behavior down cold. We know exactly what it does and does not do. Using those same tools, we see that Windows 10 behaves VERY differently. Turning it off does nothing, the machine still sends data. Stop saying you can turn it off, all you do is move the slider.

For an average user, who isn't concerned that much about privacy, Windows 10 may be fine.
That said, even with everything theoretically disabled, there still are a lot of packets I see going back to Microsoft that didn't in Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Additionally, based on the privacy agreement and the legal rights you have to agree to give Microsoft, then REGARDLESS of the actual data sent back and/or what you think you have turned off or blocked, you would effectively be breaching HIPAA if you had any form of PHI on a Windows 10 based platform. I have already spoken with one lawyer who has read it and he is of the opinion that unless/until Microsoft alters the privacy agreement, it is effectively illegal to install Windows 10 on any computer used in a medical practice or any other environment that contains PHI.

Can't you just disable all of this in the group policy settings? I imagine this is how it is for enterprise. It took me less than a minute to find all of the Group Policy and corresponding regedit entries for Windows 10. The spreadsheet even has pre-built filters, so you can pick windows 10 and the latest IE from the list.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25250

I don't use 8. Windows 7 was developed before telemetry became the in-thing. Further, we have been watching windows 7 for a LONG time and have its behavior down cold. We know exactly what it does and does not do. Using those same tools, we see that Windows 10 behaves VERY differently. Turning it off does nothing, the machine still sends data. Stop saying you can turn it off, all you do is move the slider.

Microsoft just put out a couple of up-dates that adds telemetry to Win7 and Win8. Saw someone post about it in the OS forum.

I had that terrible feeling of those sliders not actually doing anything! Yeah I can see the illusion of people thinking I turned it off! In reality MS is laughing their ass off!

I got to the third slide before adblock broke the website, couldn't even see the comments, and no way in hell i was turning it off for that click bait.

Based on the EULA, by using Windows 10 you consent to send Microsoft pretty much anything they want.

As a person who likes to read the fine print, this is why at best will upgrade to Win8.1

You know it's bad when you feel a shiver down your spine from reading something written in legalese

I had that terrible feeling of those sliders not actually doing anything! Yeah I can see the illusion of people thinking I turned it off! In reality MS is laughing their ass off!

Yeah, Microsoft is going to push that and risk the full weight on the law coming down on them. :rolleyes: Look, if someone does not want to use something because they are uncomfortable of what "might" be, fine. However, that does not make it so.

What I'm curious about is how long it will take before Microsoft's spy data collection servers get hacked. I'm sure some Russian hackers will find a way to send specially formed data in such a way that they can gain remote control of the servers and can dump all the data on the internet,

Dump of what data though is the question. Of course such a breach would cause Microsoft enormous reputational harm and you have to figure that they understand that as well. I imagine that even if these systems were compromised 99% of the data would have zero value or be personally identifiable such that being able to attach it to a specific individual would mean anything. So I did a web search on chocolate cake. Or cocaine. Now if there is information in these systems like credit card numbers or nude celebrity photos or the like, that's much of a problem. Of much more direct value would be information stored in OneDrive or any number of cloud storage system. The average person running Windows still has MUCH more to fear about privacy and data loss from local malware.

And I think some might be over stating people's concern for privacy. If you live in the real world, have a job, own a titled property, pay bills, pay taxes, vote, etc. there's already a VERY long and legally public data trail of you out there. The issues of privacy and data loss are MUCH, MUCH bigger than Windows 10 and in the grand scheme of things the notion that one's privacy is enhanced by not using Windows 10 I think is ludicrous. Perhaps Windows 10 adds fuel to the fire, but the fire is already burning out of control

Yeah, Microsoft is going to push that and risk the full weight on the law coming down on them. :rolleyes: Look, if someone does not want to use something because they are uncomfortable of what "might" be, fine. However, that does not make it so.

The "law". LMAO. it's in the EULA that they can collect all that, brains. Law is on their scumbag datamining side.

Bingo.

We've had financial clients who we've actually actively warned away from Windows 10.

If Windows 10 is dumping what it's being reported as dumping, on an automated basis, that can't truly be disabled (only "turned off" until a Microsoft patch turns it back on), then Win10 is completely unsuitable for Sarbanes-Oxley or HIPAA compliant institutions.

No you cant turn it all off at the o.s.

Turning it off is not the same thing as disabling it.

Because if you can't disable it, the next random Windows patch can turn it back ON. And you aren't alerted until you go looking at your settings.

And, even with the options turned off, Win 10 is still burping out data.

And, even with the options turned off, Win 10 is still burping out data.

Burping out what data with all the privacy options off. The only thing I've seen that's been said about it from a decent source, Peter Bright from Are Technica, is that a local search will send what looks to be a machine id with no actual data related to the search. I get that why would there be anything sent while doing a local search but if it's just a machine id with no personal info attached then it's privacy impact is minimal to nonexistent.

I do think that Microsoft should be more transparent about this as it does look like they're being questioned a lot more over this stuff than anyone else ever has been.

You can't use the default browser Edge for alot of stuff like Battlelog ect...
Also Windows 10 makes your origin game unusable so you have to download like 100 gigs...

I really feel like they got windows 10 right on the surface. The move back to a desktop environment, the user experience and all that but the stuff their doing in the background is concerning. A lot of the outrage may be tinfoil hat wearing exaggerations but there's still enough to cause concern.

With Windows 10 the more I read about it the more I don't like and the more I don't want it. Still no reason for me to move from Windows 7.

Back