10 Reasons You Should Upgrade to Windows 8.1 Now

Nice strawman creating a scenario that didn't actually exist. The issue about multi-monitor is its the ONLY thing desktop oriented thats better in 8.1.

I have no idea what the concept of the straw man fallacy has to do with the fact that a number of Windows 8 opponents seem to have an issue with better multiple monitor support in 8. Many 8 opponents simply discount it saying that it's not important. I've never seen anyone discount it as being a tablet feature, which is probably why Unknown-One pointed that out as that makes ZERO sense.

Everything else changed from 8.0 to 8.1 is tablet oriented Metro stuff, and increased intrusion of Microsoft's online service ambitions with default spydrive, ads in default apps and ads in default search.

I agree that the focus of Windows 8.1 was on the modern side of things, considering the extreme maturity of the Windows desktop compared to the modern side, not exactly a surprise. And you can discount the online integration all you want, it's the type of thing that appeals to average people because they have become accustomed to it with phones and tablets. To criticize Microsoft for adding features to Windows that are beyond wildly popular is disingenuous at best.

For desktop users you're better off sticking with Win7, or Win8.0 with a start menu replacement or better yet Ex7ForW8 so you run the true Win7 shell which prevents Metro from even hooking into resident memory.

Unless you are a desktop user with multiple monitors. Talk about a strawman.

Best reason to upgrade to 8.1?
You already have 8.
Best reason not to upgrade to 8.1?
You have ANYTHING but 8 already.

all this ignorance is pissing me off. that damn thing is new. ios was once new android was once new shit windows 90-fn-5 was once new. people don't like change but they get used to it. mine as well get with it because in this technologically infused world it doesn't take long for things that are a year old to become outdated get with it WINDOWS 7 IS IN THE PAST

Lol.

I have 8 on my media PC. Before I threw my keyboard through the TV I installed Classic Shell. Now it works fine, though the windows are ugly as hell.

From reading about the bugs people are having with 8.1 I'll pass for now. You guys can keep beta testing it and I'll wait for 8.1.1. It'll save me the trouble of uninstalling the new Facebook app.

Maybe I'm the only one out there that likes all the ms release (beside me)? I am glad they are moving towards a more modern ui because lets face it old start menu is boring as hell. People that complain about os release are people that hate change or just sheeple that follow and type what their buddy says. Last I checked an os that is more secure and runs faster is a good thing.

Every windows os has been solid like a rock except me. I just don't get what spewing a bunch of non sense accomplishes on the internet.

Unless you are a desktop user with multiple monitors. Talk about a strawman.

Like arguing with a woman, I swear. Multiple monitors work just fine in Windows 7. Windows 8.0 adds multi-taskbars. Windows 8.1 adds multi-monitor support for METRO crap.

Whoopdy. Fucking. Doo.

Actually, I'm pretty happy with it. For reasons that are too long to state here, I moved to Windows 8 (permanently) and after you get used to it, it ain't too bad. My system in sig feels a lot more snappy than it did before. And all the default internet BS is easily disabled at the time of the 8.1 upgrade. Simply select the other button on install (Custom, I think) and uncheck the tracking, ad-supported stuff that you don't want.

Now there are a couple of things that I don't like with it. Namely, DX 11.2 only being on 8 and above. Technically, there's no reason Windows 7 can't support it and benefit from the performance increase. That's one thing I don't like about it. The "show-all" button on the Start menu kind of scared me at first, too. :D

But on the whole, Windows 8.1 is fast, snappy, and many of the key complaints (tracking, skydrive, etc) are easily bypassed. Yeah, it sucks that I have unused apps on the computer. But from messing around with it, it looks like they're uninstallable. Call me converted - I actually like the OS. The initial shock is a bit to get over, but once you're over it - Windows 8 is a perfectly usable OS.

Those of you not willing to go over to 7 - that's your prerogative. I love Windows 7. In fact, that's another plus of this upgrade to 8.1 - I now have a free Windows 7 license for my LAN box build. :cool:

Now I'm going to go all Rodney King here and just ask "can we all just get along?" And I'll ask that you NOT club me. :D

I am happy with it so far minus this stupid secure boot watermark. I really hope they release a patch to get rid of it. Other than that I haven't noticed any issues minus I have a slightly longer boot time and they did something to mouse acceleration.

come on people im on 7. I had windows 8 and the issues/adaptation difficulty I had with it are all covered/modified/fixed in 8.1. im going their as soon as I get the switch prepared on my pc.

Like arguing with a woman, I swear. Multiple monitors work just fine in Windows 7. Windows 8.0 adds multi-taskbars. Windows 8.1 adds multi-monitor support for METRO crap.

Whoopdy. Fucking. Doo.

Like arguing with someone that doesn't use the stuff. The task bar on all monitors is a pretty major change. All of my main systems are multiple monitor, including my Windows 7 work laptop which has a dock that supports two additional monitors for three screens including the laptop screen itself. Not having the task on all monitors has become kind of annoying like anything else that Windows 7 users complain about simply because it's different and not familiar. If you don't use modern apps then you wouldn't really understand how some on them are useful or how much better they integrate with the desktop, especially with multiple monitors.

Now I'm going to go all Rodney King here and just ask "can we all just get along?" And I'll ask that you NOT club me. :D

And this is really what it is about. Windows 8 simply isn't the thing the universally hated thing that some want to claim. It is controversial. People will point to lower PC sales but that was happening long before 8 came along and doesn't explain why Mac sales have declined about as much as PC sales in the last year. What average people want and expect from a computing device has simply extended beyond what the 20 year old Windows desktop was designed to do. And at this point there's no full understanding as to how computing will change in the coming years. Windows 8 haters just assume that people will never adapt and that classic keyboard and mouse computing is king.

While that may be true and while I don't see the traditional desktop going away anytime soon, the days of it's growth do seem to be at an end. Yes, the world will need tons of traditional client PCs for years to come, but where is the growth? What will compel increasing numbers to need and want desktop PCs.

Microsoft couldn't answer the question and no one here can either.

I am happy with it so far minus this stupid secure boot watermark. I really hope they release a patch to get rid of it. Other than that I haven't noticed any issues minus I have a slightly longer boot time and they did something to mouse acceleration.

I read that ur limited to 125hz polling rate for mice...can anyone confirm w/ mouse rate checker?

And this is really what it is about. Windows 8 simply isn't the thing the universally hated thing that some want to claim. It is controversial. People will point to lower PC sales but that was happening long before 8 came along and doesn't explain why Mac sales have declined about as much as PC sales in the last year. What average people want and expect from a computing device has simply extended beyond what the 20 year old Windows desktop was designed to do. And at this point there's no full understanding as to how computing will change in the coming years. Windows 8 haters just assume that people will never adapt and that classic keyboard and mouse computing is king.

While that may be true and while I don't see the traditional desktop going away anytime soon, the days of it's growth do seem to be at an end. Yes, the world will need tons of traditional client PCs for years to come, but where is the growth? What will compel increasing numbers to need and want desktop PCs.

Microsoft couldn't answer the question and no one here can either.
And the growth towards tablets and phones would be much better off with its own OS.

I am happy with it so far minus this stupid secure boot watermark. I really hope they release a patch to get rid of it.

fO7kKcT.jpg

seems more like 10 more reasons not to upgrade from windows7

The independent dpi on multi monitor is coming handy, amd drivers suck at setting up the scaling automatically but now Windows does it for me on the fly. So far I'm enjoying it. Steam is still giving me sit but I bet that's valve stuck crying buckets, I just just set direct shortcuts.

Same old same old. Don't you people get tired of bashing windows 8 and don't you get tired of defending it. The OS works great and does what I need it to do. Windows 7 does as well, but I needed a new OS key and my school sold me a Windows 8 key for cheap. Loved it so much I ended up adding to all 6 of my computers at home and even taught my wife and mother in law how to use it. However, if you don't need to upgrade then no reason to, but if you do Windows 8 is great and simple to use.

Top reasons not to install,

1)Metro
2)No Aero-Glass
3)Having to buy a $100~ OS license when Microsoft sold them to anyone for $20 just 6 months ago.

I'm still getting them for $65.

The $20 was a special offer, I guess you didn't bother?

I know this argument has been done to death, but, I dont understand why so many people hate windows 8 or 8.1 . I just upgraded some work machines from windows XP to WIndows 8.1. Sure the users were stumbling around for a bit, but after sitting down with them for about 20 minutes each they started to get a handle on it. They even started bragging, to the other users who hadn't been upgraded, about how nice windows 8.1 is.

The new start button is GREAT. The old start button was way outdated.

The new search in 8.1 is awesome.

Because Windows 8 is trying to be two things at once, while failing at both. MS should have made two versions of Windows 8. One for tablets/phones, and one for desktop computers. Focus on the Metro experience for tablets/phones. Focus on the desktop experience for desktop computers. Excel at both.

Right now, it is trying to walk the line between a tablet and a desktop computer, and this merging of the two pisses off people on both sides.

If not two versions, then the option, upon install, to install the components you want. For example, if you are on a desktop computer, then give us the option to not install Metro and "apps." That would solve the problem as well. But MS is stubborn.

Because Windows 8 is trying to be two things at once, while failing at both. MS should have made two versions of Windows 8. One for tablets/phones, and one for desktop computers. Focus on the Metro experience for tablets/phones. Focus on the desktop experience for desktop computers. Excel at both.

Right now, it is trying to walk the line between a tablet and a desktop computer, and this merging of the two pisses off people on both sides.

If not two versions, then the option, upon install, to install the components you want. For example, if you are on a desktop computer, then give us the option to not install Metro and "apps." That would solve the problem as well. But MS is stubborn.

My thoughts exactly from day 1 when Win8 was first announced. Maybe they'll learn with Win9 :rolleyes:

1) LoL "smaller "tiles", ever heard of making a desktop shortcut? Or do you need to always know what the temperature is in Phoenix? Apps.......I'll bet over half of the people you talk to don't know what "app" is short for.
Apps are for iPad and phones.

2) The Facebook app is there.....shit I can die now, my life is complete.

Help me Jesus.

It's funny how a lot of those new "features" were already possible in Win7. Re-inventing the wheel is not needed. It's like we went backwards, and are having to catch up to functionality found in past OS's.

Like arguing with someone that doesn't use the stuff. The task bar on all monitors is a pretty major change. All of my main systems are multiple monitor, including my Windows 7 work laptop which has a dock that supports two additional monitors for three screens including the laptop screen itself. Not having the task on all monitors has become kind of annoying like anything else that Windows 7 users complain about simply because it's different and not familiar. If you don't use modern apps then you wouldn't really understand how some on them are useful or how much better they integrate with the desktop, especially with multiple monitors.
How much does MS pay you? Or are you just on a personal mission to convert the Windows 7 heathens to the glorious new ways of windows 8? You are in every single windows 8 thread talking about how amazing windows 8 is, and dismissing everyone's complaints about windows 8 as if they're stupid.

I'd give 10 reasons to not get Windows 8, but typing "Metro" 10 times would get old.

I am telling you, most would have been lost here on Amiga, OS/2, BEOS, and any other OS that did not have a Start Menu. Oh well, feels good to be able to use things without whining and complaining. Although, my favorite OS was the Amiga OS. :D

So far, all I have heard is opinions on why something is not working, not facts. (Or at least very few, far an in between facts.) Stability, compatibility, a new way of doing things as well as the old way working the same, faster and more enjoyable is what Windows 8 brings to the table. Also, being able to use a tablet with the same OS and being able sell my laptop was a plus as well.

Laptops are no longer a wanted or needed option for my own computing needs.

I am telling you, most would have been lost here on Amiga, OS/2, BEOS, and any other OS that did not have a Start Menu. Oh well, feels good to be able to use things without whining and complaining. Although, my favorite OS was the Amiga OS. :D

So far, all I have heard is opinions on why something is not working, not facts. (Or at least very few, far an in between facts.) Stability, compatibility, a new way of doing things as well as the old way working the same, faster and more enjoyable is what Windows 8 brings to the table. Also, being able to use a tablet with the same OS and being able sell my laptop was a plus as well.

Laptops are no longer a wanted or needed option for my own computing needs.
I think most understand that apsect of it, but also realise that the OS needs to be split.

I dont want touch on my desktop(dont really like it on my phone/tablet).

Tablets are replacing the more bulky laptops expecially for what alot of users use it for which is browsing. Its common sense, desktop OS for a desktop and tablet OS for a tablet.

I think most understand that apsect of it, but also realise that the OS needs to be split.

I dont want touch on my desktop(dont really like it on my phone/tablet).

Tablets are replacing the more bulky laptops expecially for what alot of users use it for which is browsing. Its common sense, desktop OS for a desktop and tablet OS for a tablet.

If it were to split, then both would be mostly useless to me. I use my tablet for laptop duties when I need to without having to own a large, bulky laptop. If it were to split, then the tablet would be of no more use then a Kindle Fire.

Touch is an available option, of course, and not something someone has to use. Otherwise, that would be like saying I have to use a trackball and have no choice. (Trackballs are not very good for my uses and not at all comfortable for me.)

all this ignorance is pissing me off. that damn thing is new. ios was once new android was once new shit windows 90-fn-5 was once new. people don't like change but they get used to it. mine as well get with it because in this technologically infused world it doesn't take long for things that are a year old to become outdated get with it WINDOWS 7 IS IN THE PAST

Not every change is for the better. AT one point Microsoft suggested BoB would be an improvement to the UI. Not everyone who dislikes Microsoft choices with Windows 8 finds the OS nonfunctional. So just think it was a poor choice in how they handled the transition. Oddly Microsoft was not super fond of metro when it was first released inside the company:)

If it were to split, then both would be mostly useless to me. I use my tablet for laptop duties when I need to without having to own a large, bulky laptop. If it were to split, then the tablet would be of no more use then a Kindle Fire.

Touch is an available option, of course, and not something someone has to use. Otherwise, that would be like saying I have to use a trackball and have no choice. (Trackballs are not very good for my uses and not at all comfortable for me.)

I am not sure I would split them, but why should a tablet have all the desktop OS baggage if it is not needed. IF a tablet could run all x86 apps you needed, or have its own version which uses less memory would it make that much of a difference to you?

Conversely why should a desktop users be forced to have tablet features which they do not need wasting memory and space when they are not needed or be forced to use an UI designed for an tablet?

Microsoft has a long history of being a bit silly at how they handle OSes. What people want is the ability to have all devices fit their need, not have the same OS everywhere. They could care less what each OS is called as long as the device functioned well for their intended need.

Just silly how easily this could have been avoided, had they been willing to listen.

Yep. 8.1 changes nothing that really matters. The same people who loved 8.0 love 8.1, and the same people who loathed 8.0, loathe 8.1.

All Microsoft had to do to keep just about everyone happy was keep the very different UI paradigms separate. Instead they keep trying to meld them together, while annoying a huge part of their customer base.

This reminds me of the old days, like in Windows 3.x or Win 9x. Windows was kind of crap, but you held your nose and used it because it was the only real game in town. Then with the NT kernel OS's: 2K/XP and especially Windows 7. It became a great OS, with Windows 7 possibly the best ever desktop OS.

I will likely NEVER upgrade the OS on my win7 machine but some future machine will likely force me to return to holding my nose while using Win 8 or 9 variant. Or perhaps Microsoft simply won't be the only game in town and I won't go Windows at all.

Anyone know if you can keep running an OEM licence indefinitely (like through MB failure)? If so, this might be my last copy of Windows.

I know this argument has been done to death, but, I dont understand why so many people hate windows 8 or 8.1 . I just upgraded some work machines from windows XP to WIndows 8.1. Sure the users were stumbling around for a bit, but after sitting down with them for about 20 minutes each they started to get a handle on it. They even started bragging, to the other users who hadn't been upgraded, about how nice windows 8.1 is.

The new start button is GREAT. The old start button was way outdated.

The new search in 8.1 is awesome.

It's not an option where I work due to the number of users we have....

20 minutes per user * 100,000 users is over 33 thousand person-hours of lost productivity. That's over $2.1 billion lost. Not gonna happen.

Windows 8.1 doesn't fix a damn thing... it's the same OS. No thanks. And no thanks to 8.2, 8.3, or 8.anything else. I'm not interested in having you troll me by claiming the start menu is back only for it to be a button to access the same crappy menu system from Win8. What if I told you I want to launch a new program without it taking up an entire monitor to do so?

Why should I have to get third-party software to fix an OS that isn't improved over Windows 7, anyway? Microsoft can claim they've fixed whatever they want, but I know better. My next move is to Linux, which I already use in a multi-boot system. Period.

Try teaching your client how to use Windows 8 when your client has a hard time understanding Windows 7 because he was so used to windows XP. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Try teaching your client how to use Windows 8 when your client has a hard time understanding Windows 7 because he was so used to windows XP. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Add in: The client still was never really good at XP, but after bothering me for simple stuff a million times, he finally had it figured out reasonably well as to not call me every 5 seconds.

Back