10 reasons to wait for PS3 @ IGN.

i wonder, if i made a list of 10reasons why you should have sex with your own mom would people listen to that?

Since you are still "stuck with E3 info", then you should know SONY said dual 1080p support. Then, they later said that it wouldn't....go do some digging since all the "news" sites seem to be slurping SONY and not clearing that up from the confusion.

Tiny said:
Did they mention that the PS3 can't run two monitors/TVs at 1080p?

No?

Hmmm....Sony is good at keeping that fact on the low-down.

Actually, the head of guy of the ps3 has said it was dual 1080p support. I want to believe it but I wont till it comes out. Still tho, its going to be at least 720p dual support still godly in its own right and tahts 2 tv's off 1 console for multiplayer... Less consoles more poeple playing. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Granted you need 2 hdmi tv's, I also haven't seen if its going to support dual display off the reg av cables or not, only time will tell.

Since you are still "stuck with E3 info", then you should know SONY said dual 1080p support. Then, they later said that it wouldn't....go do some digging since all the "news" sites seem to be slurping SONY and not clearing that up from the confusion.

It would be impossible for a 7800GTX to run any current game @ 1980x1080 resolution with mid to high texture/lighting turned on, and certainly not at 120fps. And since a 7800GTX is what is in the PS3, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Especially not running two monitors at 1080p.

Also, remember that Sony is leaving HD resolutions up to the developers, so while a game may be able to run at an HD resolution, there is no promise from Sony that the developers will make it standard practice to do so. As well as with FSAA, it might be able to do it, but there is no stipulation on the part of Sony that game makers must use FSAA in their games.

Personally, I will end up owning both. (I already own and Xbox360 and enjoy it so far) They both have their strengths, at least the PS3 does with the specs I have seen so far. It is hard to pass judgement on a product none of us have actually seen working.

The ONE thing that the PS3 has going for it in my book is the support for a KB&M. Which means I might get to see some online strategy games like Command and Conquer Generals or WarCraft 3 on a console.

Baker said:
Better graphics running in 1080p at 120 fps.

This may be true but seeing as how so many gamers don't have HDTV's to hook up to there xbox360's how many can afford a TV that does 1080P which is still rare and expensive. I have an HDTV but it does not do 1080P. Don;t get me wrong I will be buying a playstation 3 (I will also be getting a 360 when some decent games come out) but I don't think this should be a serious reason to buy one console over another.

I own all 3 current consoles and intend to buy all 3 next-gen ones. The main reasons to buy each console are the games that come out for it. Hardware and specs mean jack. If you are only going to buy one you have to buy the one that has the majority of the games you want to play on it. If you can't live without halo then hy would you buy a revolution??? That is the only reason that matters "GAMES". That's what these things do play games.

spigunk said:
I own all 3 current consoles and intend to buy all 3 next-gen ones. The main reasons to buy each console are the games that come out for it. Hardware and specs mean jack. If you are only going to buy one you have to buy the one that has the majority of the games you want to play on it. If you can't live without halo then hy would you buy a revolution??? That is the only reason that matters "GAMES". That's what these things do play games.

Exactly! Hi-five, you stole the thoughts directly from my brain.

Thought stealer :(

Whatever happened to buying each console that comes out?

They all have titles that are worth playing even if you don't buy them at launch...you should at some point own one to play all the great titles.

Reason #7: You Can Still Pre-Order
It seems to happen during every system launch, but nobody ever learns their lesson...This can be avoided, however, if you just plunk down fifty or so bucks a few months ahead of time.... With a release date of just under a year away, the PS3 still lets you do this. The Xbox 360, on the other hand, does not.
LOL, I love they way they've twisted the fact that the Xbox 360 is out NOW into a plus for the PS3 because you can still pre-order the PS3 but you can't pre-order the Xbox 360!

Excellent reasoning skills.:rolleyes:

Whatever happened to buying each console that comes out?

If the PS3 comes out at the price point that's currently predicted, the cost of it plus the 360 plus the revolution will likely be more than most will spend. Then once you add $60+ games, I don't see too many people that will drop that much just to have one of each.

spine said:
LOL,
Excellent reasoning skills.:rolleyes:

Tell your wife/gf/'paid associate' : " I would like to sex you up now, but then I would not have the satisfaction of knowing that I will sex you up at some point "

What ever works I guess.

I don't like Matt very much, but his comparison was better written.

TVs that do 120fps :rolleyes:
Dual HDMI ports :rolleyes:

Get the damn system for the games that you want, not dumb reasons like those.

KidzMD said:
If the PS3 comes out at the price point that's currently predicted, the cost of it plus the 360 plus the revolution will likely be more than most will spend. Then once you add $60+ games, I don't see too many people that will drop that much just to have one of each.

I know...I bought a ps2 @ launch but did not buy the Xbox or GC @ Launch...I waited for those. I got the Gamecube last Xmas when it was $99 for GC+ Mario Kart + about 7 games which were mostly $20 each. Not saying everyone can afford to buy every console even if you wait until they're "bargain bin" but there's no excuse to come out and say "X console is hands down better than Y Console"

Drives me nuts... either buy them all and enjoy them for what they are or buy the one you can afford and keep quiet ;)

Well xbox 360 will be good enough until then. I'll buy all 3 system no matter what. I don't system hate. :)

the ps3 does look promising (and loads more expensive) but this article suffers heavily of ps3 fan-boyizm with their "boo-yah's" and other 360 bashing.. these kids should go back to school to learn how to write an objective article :rolleyes:

Kahnvex said:
Does anybody even recall the shit that shipped with the PS2?

Uhhh... what was that fireworks tech demo called again? Yah, that one. Was Tekken Tag even a launch title?

Edit:

And how's this for a reason to wait? Because by the time you save enough for a PS3, you can get a 360 and whatever slick games (Crackdown, Saint's Row, Gears of War, Alone in the Dark, etc) are out at that point. PS3 has ONE game that interests me so far and that's MGS4. The only other one isn't technically a game yet, and that's the FFVII demo which was made by the same guys handling whatever PS3 FF they are cooking up right now.

Kahnvex said:
Lynx, sarcasm aside...when you say you have two HDTV's side by side, what do you mean? Two 24" LCD's? Two 50"+ RPTV's? A plasma and a CRT? Something small and something large?
I have a 42" RPTV and a 110" Front Projection system. When I say 'side by side' I just mean one is on one wall, and the other is on the adjacent, and both being viewable from the same seating position. It was mostly a joke because I don't think I would really want to run both during a game and it wasn't like I setup my room with the thought that some future console would take advantage of it. Maybe if one was just vital stats or something. I do run both during my superbowl parties. :D

Anyway this [H] right, so someone had to step with that setup. :D

LynxFX said:
I have a 42" RPTV and a 110" Front Projection system. When I say 'side by side' I just mean one is on one wall, and the other is on the adjacent, and both being viewable from the same seating position. It was mostly a joke because I don't think I would really want to run both during a game and it wasn't like I setup my room with the thought that some future console would take advantage of it. Maybe if one was just vital stats or something. I do run both during my superbowl parties. :D

Kinda like an oversized Nintendo DS. :eek:

That list is mostly very valid... but there is some cheese in it too.

# 10 - 360 has no killer app:

Well, in all honestly the PS3 doesn't have one either. I mean, there are lots of games that look very good, but none that are making me want to rip my pants off yet. That of course will change once the first FF game for it is officially confirmed with a release date...
Killer apps are open to personal taste, different people like different games.

#9 - Dual 1080p

Well, this was what Sony officially said, so, I see no reason not to believe it. Until Tiny and the other detractors can post some hard evidence saying it isn't so, then we should all assume this is true.

I can think of some very useful features for this. I have a 57" HDTV in the main living room, a 34" HD set in my bedroom and my roomate has a 20something inch HD LCD in his. HDMI cables can run very far with no loss of signal. Technically we could just run some long HDMI cables to his room or mine from the system, one or several of us on the main screen, another person or couple people on one of the smaller screens... to save the split screen headache.

#8 - Connectivity

Booyah here. I love that I will be able to use my memory sticks as memory cards. The PS2 with its 8MB memory cards... well, those filled up way too fast. I've got three or four old 512 Meg memory sticks that I just don't use since upgrading to 1gig models for my camera, so, those will make excellent replacements. I also love the built in wifi, bluetooth, and god knows what else. Not sure what I will actually do with it, but it is comforting to know it is there.

#7 - Pre-Order

Yeah, this one was total BS, I agree (though I will be pre-ordering, I hate camping out for junk).

#6 - 7 Player Wireless

I am in a minority here... but I don't like wireless controllers. I don't like having to charge them, I don't like how the signal drops out at random moments, I just don't like them. Although 7 players at once is pretty hot, and I do play a ton of Madden with friends, so that will be quite cool, pretty nifty for FIFA too. Hopefully you will be able to use wired controllers via USB.

#5 - HD IP Camera

Err, yeah, whatever, the itoy is a joke... I don't imagine this will be much different

#4 - Full backwards compatibility

This is absolutely huge. Sony has by far done the best job of making sure a customer can consider their games an investment that they can enjoy for a long time, and not something that has to be thrown away. The 360s backwards compatibility is a joke, though I do understand the technical reasons why they had to do it that way...

Nintendo is doing some cool stuff with the Rev and the ROM libraries for all the old releases, but I somehow doubt they will have every single game that ever was released for any Nintendo brand system. Also, I'm getting a feeling you are going to have to pay for ROMs of N64 games, even if you already own the game.

#3 - Japanese Developer Support

Depends on what types of games you like to play.... For me, knowing that Square is onboard is enough to buy the system.

#2 - MGS4

What is up with the hardon these guys have for Metal Gear? I never got it... got five minutes into MGS and tried again with MGS2.... I hated those games with such a passion it can't be described without interpretive dance (who the hell designed that control scheme?)

#1 - Blu-Ray

Now, this, this, is the absolutely fricken huge. I was going to buy a Blu-Ray player the moment I Could anyway, but getting one mostly subsidized by Sony sweetens so much I will wait for the PS3. $500 or less for high definition DVD? Who cares if the games need that much space or not, it will finally let me buy movies and play them taking full advantage of my TV. Honestly, I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be buying PS3s to use them solely as Blu-Ray players.

EDIT:

And even though I realize the PS3 is clearly superior to the 360 (for the reasons listed above) I still bought a 360. Hell, the 360 is a solid system, just not as good as what Sony and Nintendo are going to come out with. I had to have something to hold me over until the PS3 and Rev hit the market...

Lynx that Is one awesome setup. I appluad that, because it's freakin cool.

I concede to the people who pointed out that you could just run a long HDMI cable to another TV. Then you get into the question of which bluetooth are they supporting, and how far will it reach, waht effect on batteries, etc.

I really see the 7 controllers at once thing as something that will be great for party games and such. Whenever it comes out, I may have to pick up whatever sports title supports 7 peeps at once, and give it a shot.

Depending on how much those wireless controllers cost, people may be required to provide their own ;)

And I could swear they nixed the PS3 inbox wireless at one point, but I can't be for sure...

Sounds more like a Sony hype fest than anything based on reality. I wonder how much Sony paid for that article to be written.

#1 - Blu-Ray

Now, this, this, is the absolutely fricken huge. I was going to buy a Blu-Ray player the moment I Could anyway, but getting one mostly subsidized by Sony sweetens so much I will wait for the PS3. $500 or less for high definition DVD? Who cares if the games need that much space or not, it will finally let me buy movies and play them taking full advantage of my TV. Honestly, I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be buying PS3s to use them solely as Blu-Ray players.

I definitely agree with you here. If Sony does indeed support 1080p with PS3, it will be oh so awesome on the HP Pavilion MD5880n. This set supports 1080p in via HDMI and I can't wait to see something running on this TV that is native 1080p. It is unlikely many PS3 games will support 1080p, but if PS3 gets their Blu-ray act together, it will be unsurpassed (at least for a little while) for movies.

bildad said:
Sounds more like a Sony hype fest than anything based on reality. I wonder how much Sony paid for that article to be written.

I don't think it was paid for. They did the same for the other channel (Nintendo) as well. Still !!!!!!-ish, but the most of the answers aren't as lame, imo.

Baker said:
I used to be a big fan of IGN before all the constant adds all over the place, but they have an artical... 10 reasons why you should wait for PS3 over buying a XBox360.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

Some interesting points...

Better graphics running in 1080p at 120 fps.

7 player games (sport games or w/e else they can think up)

Better launch titles.

CD's holding up to 50 gigs of information, 5x more than 360 CD's.

.... Personally I'm holding out on all the consoles to see what they all bring to the table. I wish I had the funds to just blow on all of them, but I'm going to penny pinch for now.

What do you guys think? (please no fan boys, if you come here just to say XBox numa 1 or vis versa please keep it to yourself.)

1. Graphics won't be noticable 'any' better then what the 360 can do at full usage also. /truth. 1080p will be awesome.. however .000001% of PS3 users will have a TV that supports it.. so bleh.

2. 7 Controllers, nice yes. But this is how Sony is making up for a shitcock of no online gaming. I'd trade 3 controllers for Live! anyday.... seriously.

3. Launch titles, they look good so far... nothing is confirmed. When Sony can actually predict when the PS3 will even hit the market, only then can they begin to have a clue what their launch titles will really be. Until then its all speculation.

4. CDs ? No its Blu-Ray. And right now Sony cannot get their disk to stabalize at over 24gb a disk without it failing.. but nice try. Once Blu-Ray is working it will probably be good at about 50-100gb on each disk.. which is amazing. However, it has been stated by many PS3 software developers that hardly any games will be stamped on Blu-Ray disk because it will cost waaaaaaaay too much. Seriously.. expect to pay $70 a game.

In the end the 360 and the PS3 really aren't going to differ much as far as actualy screen output. Consumers will probably buy depending on company loyalty and/or game titles... thats it.

I'm getting a 360 because

1. I'm not a fan on Sony.
2. Sony doesn't have anything to compete against Live! (huge mistake) Online chat, and P2P file system != anything remotely close to what Live! is today.. not even close. Basically the PS3 is a next gen, offline console.
3. Game titles (not a fan of FF series or asian RPGs)
4. Availabilty - the PS3 probably wont hit US shelves until Q4 2006, or early 2007. I have a 61" Samsung DLP waiting for HD gaming, and the 360 is here.

Maybe I'll get a PS3 one day, a long time from now when they lower the price. Sony just isn't my thing... I'd much rather support Microsoft, and their console :) In the end I am a gamer ... and competition only drives the market to get innovated so I don't hate Sony, I appreciate them pushing MS to create bigger and better things :D

my thoughts: spec-wise = pretty similar, x seems to going toward the PC arena, while PS3 is still more of a console.

I am waiting to see the PS3 come out, and even if I do not get it, x prices should come down just a bit to tangle with the new system on the market.

theNoid said:
. And right now Sony cannot get their disk to stabalize at over 24gb a disk without it failing.. but nice try.
Since we are all complaining about old information, might as well replace this old gem.

Panasonic has already upgraded their replication plant in California to mass produce 50GB Blu-ray discs. We'll see their full product line in January at CES along with everyone elses and finally some release info and final specs on Blu-ray.

Thanks Kahnvex. It'll be changing in a couple months when I move and I doubt I'll be able to do the same thing. Oh well.

LynxFX said:
Since we are all complaining about old information, might as well replace this old gem.

Panasonic has already upgraded their replication plant in California to mass produce 50GB Blu-ray discs. We'll see their full product line in January at CES along with everyone elses and finally some release info and final specs on Blu-ray.

Thanks Kahnvex. It'll be changing in a couple months when I move and I doubt I'll be able to do the same thing. Oh well.

Oh, then my appologies.. I was unaware they had stablized that high.

Honestly I think Blu-Ray is great technology, but expensive to produce games on. If developers use Blu-Ray I can only expect games to cost in the $70 range :/ Blu-Ray will succeed only because its backed by the PS3 I think. So good for Sony.

Hey do you know read times for Blu-Ray by chance ? I heard it was like 38kb a sec, meaning something like only 4.32mb a second. That would take 58 seconds to load 256mb of cache. Thats the last I heard.

theNoid said:
Oh, then my appologies.. I was unaware they had stablized that high.

Honestly I think Blu-Ray is great technology, but expensive to produce games on. If developers use Blu-Ray I can only expect games to cost in the $70 range :/ Blu-Ray will succeed only because its backed by the PS3 I think. So good for Sony.

Hey do you know read times for Blu-Ray by chance ? I heard it was like 38kb a sec, meaning something like only 4.32mb a second. That would take 58 seconds to load 256mb of cache. Thats the last I heard.
last i heard it was at 1x so dvd was still > in transfer speed

steviep said:
I don't think it was paid for. They did the same for the other channel (Nintendo) as well. Still !!!!!!-ish, but the most of the answers aren't as lame, imo.

3 of the reasons are simply because the other systems don't have a specific game (metroid, smash brothers, and zelda). :rolleyes: , and TRUE backwards compatibility? give me a freakin break!

anyway, both of these articles are retarded as crap, waiting for a system to come out and assessing it yourself is much more reliable than reading into !!!!!! propaganda.

edit- !!!!!!
edit2- fanbuoy

not another thread on why the PS3 wtfpwns the Xbox360... god all this crap is is just brand loyalties, get what you want and stop trying to further justify your purchase by an attempt to make it look superior

LynxFX said:

Count me in. I just started my job again so add one more lcd 30 to my current set up and an infocus 4805 for the tv/dvd duties.

Also, I dont see the problem with owning all three either. I had all three of the old systems. Maybe not at the same time, but bid deal. Plus, you can get most games used for $5-$20 now so that won't kill anyone either.

Trimlock said:
not another thread on why the PS3 wtfpwns the Xbox360... god all this crap is is just brand loyalties, get what you want and stop trying to further justify your purchase by an attempt to make it look superior

Exactly how I feel. I want all three consoles. Everyone has games that I want to play. Since there is about a year in between the 360 and the other two I can purchase all three without a huge impact on my finances.

I posted this message from a PC.

My "game console" wins, because it does more than play games.

Sony can have the PS3, MS can have the Xbox360. I'll take my PC over all of them any day of the week. I can do incredibly high resolution now. I don't need to wait till 2006 / 2007. By then, next gen CPU's, and video cards will be out, and the PS3 specs will be "subpar" at best IMO.

I say that having owned 2 PS2's in my day. Regardless, I can do 1280 x 1024 now, and 1600 x 1200 resolution. Hell I can do 2048 x 16xx if you want the truth.

Games just haven't evolved to meet the hardware feeding frenzy that is out there IMO.

I mean, I can look at HL2 in 1280 x 1024 resolution, and it looks awesome as hell, when I stand still, as soon as I move, and I start playing "the game" side of things, I forget about the eyecandy, and move on to whats functional, and whats smooth. It can look as awesome as real life, but if it sucks shit through a straw when I wanna PLAY it, not just STARE at it, then its pointless.

Not to mention, all the graphics in the world don't make bad games good. With that said, there's a few titles we know will exist on both platforms eventually.

Xbox360 will have Halo X, it can't be denied.

PS3 will have Gran Turismo X, it also cannot be denied.

Both of these games, are good enough, solid enough, and deep enough in their respective genres to sell consoles. I can play Madden on anything from a PS2 and on.

So no matter how good the hype, pro or con, its gonna always come down to the games, who has the game you want? For me, the PC is where its at, has been for years, and will remain to be for a long time coming, because RPG's, and RTS, and FPS are king on the PC. 8 multiplayer, woo that sounds awesome, I been playing 64 player CS:S for awhile now, 8 players, ROFL, what a joke.

This isn't really supposed to be a PC vs Console thread, because the PC will almost always win in so many points that comparing is really moot, but still...

Lot of valid points there, and I'll agree with you that 64 > 8 players, if all you're doing is playing with people online. The experience consoles bring in multiplayer is that you can have 8 guys( or more ) in two rooms, and you've got people hooping and hollering about whats going on.

yeah you can bring in 8 pc's, but its a lot easier to put a console lan party together than a PC one. Theres a lot to be said for the ability to plug a few things together and have them work without issue, theres also less to mess with in terms of hooking things up.

Having played both sides of the coin for so long, I agree that nothing can top 32-64 player online matches in terms of sheer crazy. Consoles provide different types of fun, so the PC as a game console doesn't 'win' it just provides different options that some people prefer.

If you were into platformers at all, the PC would be a huge loser for you. Thats just a different perspective.

The article isn't made to bash the 360....they have one for "why you should wait for revolution" as well. It all connects to make one whole point: pick these points out and choose what suits you....if any of you go to IGN frequently, then you would have seen the "10 reasons TO get an Xbox 360......if any of you think they are doing it to dis the 360 or because it's "weak", then you are mistaken! ;)

Any time you base anything off of what you have heard from a Sony Exec or a Sony rep you are REALLY reaching. I mean Sony originally said the Killzone2 trailer was realtime, which has been proven false. Anyone remember the promises of the PS2? How about the multiple press releases stating that a fix for the rootkit was available?

Sony has a history of exagerrated truths, white lies, and flat out knowingly saying something completely false. I wont trust a single thing about the PS3 until I see an actual game running on an actual PS3. Until that time anything you hear is about as reliable as an 80yr old with Alzheimers.

Torgo's Complete List for Buying A XBox360
#1 It'll have good games

Torgo's Complete List for Buying A PS3
#1 It'll have good games

Torgo's Complete List for Buying A Revolution
#1 It'll have good games

I think that about covers the reasons why you buying one of the above console systems.

All 3 systems will be great, it boils down to company loyal and/or game titles. <-- period The consoles have finally come around are (imo) finally over taking the pc gaming realm. This coming from an avid pc gamer of 13 years.

Why spend $2500 on a computer that only performs just as good as a $400 console that you can play in 720p HD on a 61" DLP ? lol ....

Consoles are back!

Back