10 pro 64 pre-order for $130

ep0x73

2[H]4U
Not terrible for a price through NE.

OEM

Promo :EMCAVKR223

Last edited:
If you don't want to deal with the upgrade BS this is not a bad price to get a legit full copy with a product key.

Correct, OEM, I forgot to mention that.

Funny thing is since 10 will be "forever" what is the point of moving it to another computer?

Might as well save some coin and go OEM.

Home OEM is $90 with promo

EMCAVKR222

Home OEM is $90 with promo

EMCAVKR222

I always go with OEM myself...no issues with reformatting and re-installing multiple times

$90 sounds good...might get it since I know I'll eventually have to switch to Windows 10 (mainly because of DX12)

It's mixed, some say you can just call and explain to MS and they will activate.
Others say because OEM is attached to your MB you would need to replace with the same brand/model.

10 might be better or worse, the activation attaches to the MB device ID far as I've read.

Least once it's activated you can reinstall 10 and you won't have to do it again.

I've never had to replace a MB with OEM so I can't say for certain how many hoops you might have to jump through.

All I remember is 7 OEM was a bitch to activate, I had to do it by phone.

Funny thing is since 10 will be "forever" what is the point of moving it to another computer?

You're on [H]. Does this question really need to be asked? :)

Motherboard dies? Motherboard gets upgraded? And if you upgrade/swap/replace enough components besides the motherboard it can also nuke activation (CPU, harddisk, memory, NIC - they're all 'weighted' individually and if enough things change such that the combined 'weight' of changes passes a threshold, activation goes poof)

If you already have a PC with 7 or 8.1, why would you buy an OEM version of Win 10?

How many will install 10 free, then a few weeks/months later want to upgrade to the z170 skylake boards? There's a 'gotcha'.

If you already have a PC with 7 or 8.1, why would you buy an OEM version of Win 10?

If you don't want to do the upgrade and want a hard copy to do a fresh install.

Mostly for those still rocking XP and Vista though.

It's mixed, some say you can just call and explain to MS and they will activate.
Others say because OEM is attached to your MB you would need to replace with the same brand/model.

10 might be better or worse, the activation attaches to the MB device ID far as I've read.

Least once it's activated you can reinstall 10 and you won't have to do it again.

I've never had to replace a MB with OEM so I can't say for certain how many hoops you might have to jump through.

All I remember is 7 OEM was a bitch to activate, I had to do it by phone.

OEM rules changed with Windows 8 so it would be fair to assume similar rules worked with Win10. Previously it was not 'legal' to use OEM installs in your private computer at all, let alone transfer it.

How many will install 10 free, then a few weeks/months later want to upgrade to the z170 skylake boards? There's a 'gotcha'.

But according to ZDNet there are no "gotchas" and we are all tin foil hat wearers.

I'm keeping my tin foil hat on until this is clarified.

While the deal isn't bad, why not roll with the free one as long as possible? I plan to make them force me to buy a copy down the line. They've claimed that users who upgrade will be given the option to download an ISO that they can use for clean installs on the same mobo. Upgrade, format, and then use that to do the same thing.
Even if your mobo is shot, you're only a phone call away from support. There's at least a decent chance of being able to negotiate a license transfer to another mobo if your current one dies or is replaced. I probably called support for re-installing XP 10 different times.
Might as well roll with the free option until they say you can't.

Well, the thing is I know my 8.1 is good to go until 2023 on any mb so why risk losing that for Win10 which may only be good until my next mb upgrade in a year or so?

But according to ZDNet there are no "gotchas" and we are all tin foil hat wearers.

I'm keeping my tin foil hat on until this is clarified.

I was talking to a guy yesterday that was convinced that you won't actually own a copy of Win10, you will only be leasing it like Office 365. While I am skeptical on the whole thing I still felt the need to show him Microsoft denying it.

I'm just hoping my Win10 release preview will be eligible for a free upgrade :D

I was talking to a guy yesterday that was convinced that you won't actually own a copy of Win10, you will only be leasing it like Office 365. While I am skeptical on the whole thing I still felt the need to show him Microsoft denying it.

Well, the guy is wrong but hey, up is down and down is up in this new world. :D

True, I'm actually considering on moving to console gaming and ditching windows all together.

Why would you "move" at all. Gaming is not an either or situation. I personally use an XBox One, 360, Original and my computer for gaming. Why limit yourself for some preconceived ideal?

I'm really confused how this is so much more trouble or more expensive than previous OS upgrades.
Even going back to the 90's a fresh OEM install of Win95, 98, 2K, XP, etc. was in this price range if not a little higher when you take inflation into account.
For upgrades it's full-on FREE. Even if they decide to charge you for it down the line, it's still cheaper than previous iterations.
It's one thing to think Windows 10's UI is a steaming pile, but I fail to understand why installing it is such a pain or so expensive or why it would drive someone to drop PC's altogether.

Back