10 Million Point Challenge

pututu

[H]ard DC'er of the Year 2021
We have a 1M point challenge thread here. What about making this to 10M point? Should we stop here? Who knows.

GPU projects can easily achieve this milestone. CPU project....more difficult. So with all the recent rigs upgrade, this should be an interesting and fun challenge. Will help in FB and DC-Vault overall team standing.

Free-DC has a stat for the top 500 contributors with 10M point project here. Click on the "Team" header and you will see our team listed first other than solo members without a team.

[updated] Here is the link to our members ranking for the 10M point project.

As of 5/30/2018, here are the [H]ordes making it to the top 500 list. I'll try to keep this updated whenever there are changes.

Last edited:
You guys are going to kill all my team #1 rankings! The horror!

Seriously, though, Phoenicis could stomp me in almost all categories at any time. I have been bobbing and weaving ever since he joined the team. :eek:

You guys are going to kill all my team #1 rankings! The horror!

Seriously, though, Phoenicis could stomp me in almost all categories at any time. I have been bobbing and weaving ever since he joined the team. :eek:

Woke up you mean. He was on the team long before I came along.

I had no idea. I am not afraid to say I am jealous of his rigs. If I were still single, I would challenge that without a doubt. But with a new wife and son, I don't have the disposable income I once had.

They are... But will say I am on the fence about building a new, ridiculous i9-7980XE rig. I was thinking about a lower processor, but decided that if I am going to spend that much cash, I may as well spend a bit more and get as many threads as possible. I would hope to run it on BOINC 24/7 at 4.0GHz. That would be a CPU project beast (CPU projects are most of my goals) . Still trying to decide on whether spending $4k+ on a new box is doable right now.

I was looking at a $1000 i9, and just think well if I work a few days of overtime I can afford the i9-7980xe. :D

Oh, I have 2 projects at over 10 million.
PrimeGrid: 257,812,603
Collatz: 60,174,834

First I want to get every GPU project over 1 million, before slowly getting them up to 10 million.

Last week, I added two more 10M point projects. I've 10 now :D

upload_2018-6-4_22-9-10.png

They are... But will say I am on the fence about building a new, ridiculous i9-7980XE rig. I was thinking about a lower processor, but decided that if I am going to spend that much cash, I may as well spend a bit more and get as many threads as possible. I would hope to run it on BOINC 24/7 at 4.0GHz. That would be a CPU project beast (CPU projects are most of my goals) . Still trying to decide on whether spending $4k+ on a new box is doable right now.

Check this out https://www.techpowerup.com/244853/intel-unveils-28-core-56-thread-hedt-processor

Hmmm, I'm at 14 and 2nd place. Yoyo looks like an easy 10 mil for me but I guess I should knock off the 1 mils first.

Holy crap!

I just checked and the server version of that CPU goes for $10k. I am dying over a decision to pay almost $2k for a CPU... No way I could justify a stretch to even half that $10k figure... Sure would be nice, though... Maybe I'll win the lottery and build four of those rigs... It's fun to dream.

Don't pay $2K for a cpu, that would be silly. Pay $1K each for 2 x Threadrippers instead :D Dreaming may be fun but kicking arse is more fun.

I see you sneaking up on me for the top spot in Gerasim btw (y) The game is afoot!

...snip....

Don't pay $2K for a cpu, that would be silly. Pay $1K each for 2 x Threadrippers instead :D Dreaming may be fun but kicking arse is more fun.

I see you sneaking up on me for the top spot in Gerasim btw (y) The game is afoot!

My understanding is the AMDs have crippled AVX support - two cores share 1 execution unit or something. Aren't they half the speed or even slower than the Intels. I know certainly the AMDs are much slower in PrimeGrid, and I haven't had the time to dig into the runtimes of other projects. I'd rather have one set of ram, one psu and one case instead of buying two threadripper systems.

My understanding is the AMDs have crippled AVX support - two cores share 1 execution unit or something. Aren't they half the speed or even slower than the Intels. I know certainly the AMDs are much slower in PrimeGrid, and I haven't had the time to dig into the runtimes of other projects. I'd rather have one set of ram, one psu and one case instead of buying two threadripper systems.

I also like the 1MB of L2 cache per core in Skylake-X. I have a feeling that will really help speed up WU processing time at most, if not all, projects.

I also like the 1MB of L2 cache per core in Skylake-X. I have a feeling that will really help speed up WU processing time at most, if not all, projects.

Have you started looking into water coolers, or are you not that far yet?

If I want to make this happen, I feel like I should do it sooner rather than later, since my 2019 spring might be filled with some larger adventures and this computer would be off for awhile.

Have you started looking into water coolers, or are you not that far yet?

If I want to make this happen, I feel like I should do it sooner rather than later, since my 2019 spring might be filled with some larger adventures and this computer would be off for awhile.

I have had good luck with the Corsair AIO coolers, so I was thinking about going with the H150i. However, I would replace the 3 120mm fans with Noctua 3k RPM units for a little extra cooling capacity (I don't care about the noise, as this will be in my basement) and much better reliability (I have yet to have a Noctua fan fail on me and I have some that have been running 24x7x365 for 4+ years).

I discussed the relative BOINC performance of 7960X vs 1950X on this thread. I only crunch Primegrid on GPUs but if Primegrid CPU applications are a major interest then I suspect Intel would be a perfectly good choice.

I discussed the relative BOINC performance of 7960X vs 1950X on this thread. I only crunch Primegrid on GPUs but if Primegrid CPU applications are a major interest then I suspect Intel would be a perfectly good choice.

Would you mind giving a rundown of all your boxes you have crunching? I'd like to know exactly what I am up against. It might just help me make some purchasing decisions. :D

He doesn't hide anything. Look his hosts up on a project.

$1300 for i9-7980XE (brand new) for sale by forum member.

Really tempting. Saw that last night.

Edit: I'm not organized right now to build a new rig. I think these will continue to come down since the performance difference is weighted towards the Ryzen and Threadrippers.

Last edited:
I would wait for Threadripper 2 and see how much this will push the original Threadripper price down. Unfortunately no "budget" X399 motherboard. If anyone know, please post in this DC forum. I don't need all the bells and whistles but I guess for the HEDT system, they don't seem to make such stripped down MBs.

$1300 for i9-7980XE (brand new) for sale by forum member.

Call me crazy, but I just messaged the seller and told him I would buy that from him. Hopefully he hasn't sold it already. Assuming I get that CPU, my build is as follows:

CPU: i9-7980XE (hopefully w/all cores @4GHz)
MB: Gigabyte Aorus 7 Gaming
RAM: 64GB G.Skill Sniper X DDR4-3600
Drive: Samsung 970 EVO 250Gb NVMe SSD
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow
PS: Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000W
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: ASUS 1080ti Turbo (blower fan)

Well, bad news... He sold it last night. Oh, well. I won't pay full price for one of those CPU's, so I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for another deal like this one.

Toss a bid on this one.

..nevermind. Only has a 14 feedback.

Keep an eye on this one though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core...310953?hash=item520b43cca9:g:A0cAAOSwn8pbG9q3
Thanks! I'm bidding on it now. If I don't get this one, I decided I will just give up 4 threads and get a 7960X instead. One benefit of that is I could likely run a higher clock speed with better temps since there are 2 fewer cores running.

I was toying with the idea of building a TR 1950X system instead, since that CPU can now be had for $800, but decided I really want the higher IPC and better AVX performance of the Skylake-X.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I didn't end up winning the bid for that CPU. It ended up going for $1700, which is almost the price of one through a legit retail channel. Too much $$$ for me. I have decided to wait to see how AMD prices the new 32/64 Threadripper 2 now. That could be some serious bang for the buck if it is priced right.

Last edited:
Back