10 can't see ssd

ep0x73

2[H]4U
Went to install a blue SSD onto a relatives computer, 6 year old AMD system set up in raid1 mirror for the OS
Drive shows up in bios splash screen but 10 does not see it, nothing in storage management.

Older black spinner shows up just fine.
makes no sense, tried different ports, same.
ports 4-7 are not on the raid array so it should have shown up there.

drive works because I prior had it installed on a older Intel system to run benchmarks and put some hours on it.

never had a drive just not show up.

If you boot to a Live Linux USB drive does the distro see it? if it does open Gparted and reformat the drive as NTFS and then check to see if Win 10 sees it. Hope this helps.

I did not have any linux disc with me even though I have a copy of mint somewhere.
For fun I popped it into a 10+ year old Intel system, core2duo and it was right there in CDM and disk management.
Has to do with the raidxpert mirror even though as noted ports 4-7 are not part of the array, only 0-4 so
it still should have showed up.
guess I will save them for a new build, not worth sending back and they are now opened/used.

as for cables, tried brand new gigabyte cables, old cables are newer and they work on the WD black.

I did not have any linux disc with me even though I have a copy of mint somewhere.
For fun I popped it into a 10+ year old Intel system, core2duo and it was right there in CDM and disk management.
Has to do with the raidxpert mirror even though as noted ports 4-7 are not part of the array, only 0-4 so
it still should have showed up.
guess I will save them for a new build, not worth sending back and they are now opened/used.

as for cables, tried brand new gigabyte cables, old cables are newer and they work on the WD black.
even if its not part of the array maybe you need to initialize it in the raid bios?

I actually tried that, forgot already but it's control something and the drive was not even listed there either.
I really don't get it, never had this happen in over 20 years but then again I generally don't build AMD systems
The system is still snappy, I was just going to make it even more snappy.

Least it works, guess in the end that's the best scenario.

OK- you set up a RAID 1 mirror for a Windows boot drive. Windows loads up fine... I dont get what you are asking here. You will not see a second drive in a RAID 1 mirror in Windows (or anywhere else for that matter other than the RAID controller).

OK- you set up a RAID 1 mirror for a Windows boot drive. Windows loads up fine... I dont get what you are asking here. You will not see a second drive in a RAID 1 mirror in Windows (or anywhere else for that matter other than the RAID controller).
he has 4 ports setup as a raid he is trying to add a 5th drive that is stand alone and the system wont see it.

he has 4 ports setup as a raid he is trying to add a 5th drive that is stand alone and the system wont see it.

Thanks for the info..

There is no mention of the controller being used, but there are RAID controllers where you need to put stand alone drives (not in an array) on the same controller into passthrough mode otherwise they wont show up. Just like you are describing. If you are using onboard RAID, then odds are also that you have additional add-on SATA and/or RAID controllers. You could try putting the stand alone drive on a separate controller from your array. Putting it on a second controller would get around having to configure it as a passthrough device.

It could also be that the PCH is controlling ports 0-3 which are active, and your motherboard has another SATA controller (or more than one) which handles the other ports. That controller may be disabled in your BIOS/EFI so check which controller handles which ports, and make sure they are enabled.

I went through bios but did not see anything not enabled.
The board is about 6 years old, Gigabyte UP4 and the raid is the build in AMD raid which as I recall was made by promise for AMD.
The fact a WD black spinner and HD-DVD both show up on ports 4-7 which can only be sata or IDE mode the blue's should have shown up too, it's in SATA mode.
certainly possible I missed something, I did not build it with SSD's in mind.
The computer in question is over 500 miles away so I can do anything now.

As for the other posters question.
ports 0-3 can be set up in raid, 4-7 cannot, unlike Intel you can't have two raid sets.
So ports 0/1 have a pair of raptors in raid1
The plan was to swap out the raptors for the blues in the same array.
Pull, copy, pull, copy......done
If windows can't see the drives on any ports you can't swap them out of course.

I can either save the SSD's for a build down the road or try and sell them here.

Wonder if anybody wants a pair of Blue SSD 250GB?

are there any missing devices in control panel?

iirc older amd boards only had 6 native 6gbps ports.

is there a third party controller?

It's a F2 with A85X controller that states 8 SATA ports native without any 3rd party controller.

6 has been the norm for ages with Intel, native.

Back