10 Best Scary Video Games of All Time

Amnesia is easily the most creepiest / scariest game that I've ever played in my entire life. BAR NONE!
More like is the most creepiest / scariest game I have play even me goose bump just think about it rigth now hehehe.
This How I see it
1 Amnesia: The Dark Descent
2 System Shock 2
3 Pathologic
4 Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
5 Penumbra: Black Plague
6 Penumbra: Overture
7 Dead Space 2
8 Dead Space
9 Thief: Deadly Shadows
10 BioShock

I'm going back in time, but the game Haunted House for the Atari 2600 was scary as fuck! Mind you I was a kid at the time it came out, but still!

Ghostbusters? Really? I agree with resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Clocktower. CT is a good #1 for sure.

Penumbra. Even "The Thing" based on JC's movie was a bit intense.

Penumbra black plague is one of my favorites. I remember picking it up some time in 2009 and being blow away with how innovative/scary it was. I saw a few others mention amnesia, which wasn't bad, but I still think Penumbra black plague was better.

What? No original Aliens vs Predator? That game used to scare the shit out of me when played in full surround!

Who the hell made this list? First off, Resident Evil is last? It should be first IMO. It started the whole scary games idea to begin with.

There's no mention of Doom 3. I honestly was very scared for a while after playing that game. Always checked my shoulder for no good reason for a while.

Then there's Dead Space. The Dead Space games are perfect horror games for nerds. If anything, watching human beings mutilated and mutated, are now trying to kill you.

F.E.A.R games prove that little girls can be very scary. Except F.E.A.R 3, that game just sucked. The thought of buying the game scares me.

I'm going back in time, but the game Haunted House for the Atari 2600 was scary as fuck! Mind you I was a kid at the time it came out, but still!
Just wonder was you smoking at time??.
Yup I recall playing one back 1980s as well I tougth it was boring

Morgansaur
Ghostbusters PC is not even close to creepie / scarie
Really ?? never heard of that one got a web link to it or did you mean something else?.
Resident Evil it ok combat survival horror
Silent Hill it ok combat survival horror
Clocktower (1995) was boring not all that much diff from DarkSeed, Never play any of the newer one after there where console only.

DoggyDaddi as for Aliens vs Predator PC ok but it not really that scare to me not one bit

Where the hell was Undying? That beat out at least 5 of the games on there :confused:

Where's Zork I? At night I'm still afraid of running into a Grue on my way downstairs...

Who the hell made this list? First off, Resident Evil is last? It should be first IMO. It started the whole scary games idea to begin with..
Truth that wrong it was Alone in the Dark (1992) MSDos that was forefather of that even knowing it was base as traditional adventure game challenges is still the frist the survival horror genre then there Clock Tower (1995) which come out before Resident Evil did.

There's no mention of Doom 3. I honestly was very scared for a while after playing that game. Always checked my shoulder for no good reason for a while.
Yes a Good but a bit up my list

Then there's Dead Space. The Dead Space games are perfect horror games for nerds. If anything, watching human beings mutilated and mutated, are now trying to kill you.
Yes a Good but a bit up my list

F.E.A.R games prove that little girls can be very scary. Except F.E.A.R 3, that game just sucked. The thought of buying the game scares me.

That list is complete B.S.!!!! Kyle needs to complain on the main page for a few days. :p

Of that list i agree with Silent Hill. The original was just something else when it came out, stupid controller vibrating with your heart rate, and the stupid radio >.< >.< . Believe it or not the Wii one is quite interesting since you have no weapon at all, ever, so when it is monster time you have to run and hide like a little girl.

I would put like others have said, the Amnesia+Penumbra games up there. You dont know how freaked you can get as a grown man until you have played those.

Also the Dead Space ones... Quite creepy at times.

Bioshock could get just a bit creepy at times.

Resident Evil is so so, i wouldn't really call it scary, although Nemesis could get stressful at times, same as 4

All in all Gamepro's list seems much better >.< weird i know:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/223789/the-15-best-horror-games/

Who the hell made this list? First off, Resident Evil is last? It should be first IMO. It started the whole scary games idea to begin with.

No, there were many many adventure games before it that started scary games. Even Dungeon Master was scary in the 80's, but welcome to the world outside of the little one you created.

My Serious 10 Best "Scary" Games In Alphabetical Order.

Amnesia
Aliens vs. Predator 2
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Condemned 2
Fatal Frame 2
F.E.A.R.
Dead Space
Doom 3
Eternal Darkness
The Suffering

Honorable Mentions - Deadly Premonition, Penumbra, Bioshock, System Shock 2

RE and SH are good games, but I've never found them scary just fun.

Clive Barker's Undying.
I came to add this. I don't think Eternal Darkness was mentioned anywhere but that game was fairly scary as well. First scary game i ever played was the original Alone in the Dark on PC. Also Silent Debuggers for turbo graphics 16 back in the day.

Just wonder was you smoking at time??.
Yup I recall playing one back 1980s as well I tougth it was boring

Morgansaur
Ghostbusters PC is not even close to creepie / scarie
Really ?? never heard of that one got a web link to it or did you mean something else?.
Resident Evil it ok combat survival horror
Silent Hill it ok combat survival horror
Clocktower (1995) was boring not all that much diff from DarkSeed, Never play any of the newer one after there where console only.

DoggyDaddi as for Aliens vs Predator PC ok but it not really that scare to me not one bit

Post something that did scare you, then.

That list is horrible. Some of them were good games but not in the scary list.

FEAR 1

Resident Evil Directors Cut

Everything else really didn't me.

As for FEAR 2, Unless you played the hospital level with surround sound the game wasn't scary at all. However that hospital part got me while playing surround sound at night with lights off.

I have to agree with other posters. The author of that piece is an idiot when it comes to scary. Scary isn't jump-scares every 15 seconds. Capcom Horror games, I'm looking at you.

My list of "I need a change of pants" are as follows:

• Clive Barkers Undying and Jericho: Say what you will about the quality of the games themselves, and yeah, Jericho wasn't actually that good, Clive Barker does know how to write and communicate horror.
  • Zelda: Majora's Mask: Probably one of the coldest storylines Nintendo has ever produced. Not only is Link transformed in a nightmare fuel inducing cut-scene into a Deku, Link later takes up the mantel of a murdered Zora. Think about that for a second. That's not even getting into the nightmare fuel of the moon itself, or the tragedy of the Skull Kid.
  • First.Encounter.Assault.Recon.: the first F.E.A.R. game was loaded with set design that continuously outlined the shadows of the world, then coupled that legendary set-design with some of the best voice acting and writing Monolith had ever pulled off. Unfortunately F.E.A.R.2. completely forget to implement the whole "legendary set-design" and the writing wasn't exactly amazing. That said the Reborn DLC showed that Monolith still had a handle on how to make a good F.E.A.R. game, and John Carpenter is helping with F.E.A.R.3... so maybe things are looking up again.
  • The Thing: Speaking of John Carpenter, do yourself a favor and find a copy of the 2002 The Thing on Playstation 2, Xbox, or Windows. Also, pick up some diapers. You'll need them.
  • Dead Space 1 and 2: Do I really need to explain this choice? Really?
  • Silent Hill: Another one that really doesn't need any explanation. Silent Hill is legendary for the atmosphere it creates.
  • Left 4 Dead: Admittedly, I'm not a fan of L4D2. I think it added too much stuff to the idea. The first L4D captured and delivered on the idea of 4 survivors, with not much to work with, caught in a Zombie Apocalypse. The only two things that were worse than the warning cries for the smoker, hunter, and boomer... were the warning cries for the Tank... and the inevitable: "YOU AGGROED THE WITCH!!!"
  • Amnesia: Dark Descent: Atmosphere. Lots of it.
  • Monolith AvP2 / Primal Hunt: While this game and it's expansion are better known for it's awesome Multiplayer setup than it's Singleplayer campaigns, the Human storylines had no difficulties communicating just how frigging scary it could be to be that sole human between a horde of Xenomorphs and a pissed off predator.
  • Parasite Eve 1 and 2: Made during Square Enix's good years on the Playstation. If these games didn't leave you suffering nightmares, I don't know what will. There is a third one, but it's a PSP game... which well... yeah. Doesn't really bode well now does it.

My list of games that are supposed to be scary, but, well, just aren't.

• Capcom Games: This is where Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Clocktower and Dino Crisis go. The first Resident Evil through Code Veronica were hampered with some of the worst controls ever implemented in a video game, and pretty much relied on jump scares. It got so bad even Penny Arcade was taking pot-shots at Capcom's formula. With Resident Evil 4 Capcom admitted that they dialed back on the fear factor in order to focus on making a good game, and RE:4 was definitely a good game. Problem is RE:5 promptly forgot everything RE:4 did right, such as building up the encounters between players and bosses. RE:4 had numerous occasions pitting Leon in verbal combat against Sadler and Salazar, and by the time you got them, you wanted nothing more than to take a rocket launcher to their heads. RE:5 completely forget character development. I still can't tell you who any of the bosses are without resorting to Google. Resident Evil might pride itself on creating the Survival Horror Genre... but delivering horror is a completely different matter.

Clocktower falls into the same... problem... The first game wasn't really anything to write home about... and the 2 sequels produced by Capcom just well... sorry... they ain't scary.
  • Half Life: Specifically Half Life 2 and Ravenholm. Valve knows how to create intense experiences and the Ravenholm segment may stand as one of the greatest scariest game experiences. The implications of the Combine and the Overwatch also have elements of Nightmare Octane, and yes, I'm thinking of the reproducing regression. For the most part Valve hasn't really delved into or addressed the omg I do NOT want to think about that! elements of Half-Life, which is probably why the Half Life series doesn't leave the nightmarish impact that Zelda: Majora's Mask managed.
  • Doom 3: For game that is supposed to be about hell breaking loose, it wasn't actually that scary. For starters there was the color palette... or lack there-of. Then there was the formulaic response to everything. Once you got over boo-ah-boom there really wasn't a lot to talk about. The expansion pack, Resurrection of Evil tried to amp up the atmosphere of the game, but it really didn't help.

Silent Hill series was the most scariest game I've ever played. Well, at least up to Silent Hill 4.

I don't really like Dead Space's horror though, as it mostly involve monsters jumping out of nowhere, similar to Doom 3. It shocks you, but it doesn't create the constant feel of fear.

Fatal Frame 2 - Freakest game I've played. I couldn't finish it because it was creeping me out so much. *blushing* I did almost finished it! And I love the horror genre.

Silent Hill 2 - This is game is not only creepy, it is so iconic in characters and even being held up as a strong choice for representing art games.

Amnesia - While this didn't scare me, I can see why it's held in such high regards.

Condemned - Man this game just dripped with fear. Supernatural hobos!? Freakin abandoned mall stage?

Resident Evil 2 - I don't care what anyone says, I love RE series and this one I still think was the best. "OH god it just went through the wall!"

I didn't think Condemned was that great of a game to play, but something about it always really creeped me out, especially playing it in the wee hours.

Doom3 while scary, became overly predictable. Good nonetheless though.

STALKER: SoC. Oblivion Lost mod. Some parts get just way too chilling for me.

What a lame list.... Clocktower was laughable, and at any time of day. What little fright factor it had in the beginning goes out the door when your character hides in a bedroom and holds a sheet in front of herself to prevent the Scissorman from seeing her.

Some of the scary games that come to mind are:
- They Hunger (mod for HalfLife)
- Undying
- Amnesia
- System Shock 2

System Shock 2, at the time, had me shitting bullets.

agree, i was scare shitless when i played that...and i was 15 during the time

System shock 2 gets my vote for scariest game played at night. I still remember that game 12 years later.

SYSTEM SHOCK 2

/list negated

Totally agree. The damn moaning that you could hear from miles away.... so you KNEW the damn zombie was there but you wouldn't run into him until you gave up sneaking around!! AAAHhHHHH.

Nothing scared me like AVP2 on the PC, ever.

There actually were some great scary moments in that game, I agree.

...And a big error in many of these lists. Dead Space 2 was not nearly as scary as one. I think the more open spaces in DS2 lost the claustrophobia you had in the first one and took some of the tension away.

DS2 creepy: yes, scary: not so much for me.

I was 12 when I played Parasite Eve II for the Playstation. That game did some things really well that I still remember, such as investigating down a hall way and finding a wounded SWAT member hiding behind a vending machine; later you find a control room with security cameras and one of the screens has that same hallway but only a large blood stain where the SWAT guy was hiding.

Back