10.8 Server and network sharing

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

Looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction here.

There's two issues that are most likely related:

1. We have a 10.8.4 OS X Server with the server app, open directory and work group manager that are configured and working. We have a Synology NAS configured to iSCSI to the server and user data is stored on the NAS. We have 10.5/10.6 clients that are binding to this OD server in order to login. Local home users can log in with no problems. Network users with local home creation can also login with no problems. Now, network users with mobility profiles on the NAS can login as long as the profile is on the root of the iSCSI drive. Once I create a folder within the NAS and point the network profile to that folder, an error comes up and the user cannot login.

2. Second problem is we want to move users off of network profiles and have them login locally (with home folders being created locally); however we want to be able to auto mount their specific user folder from the NAS when they login. Is there any way to do this from WGM or Server.app? With 10.5/10.6 clients the settings to do this do not seem to work (I'm configuring WGM under preferences -> login items to automount a share point, but this does not seem to work).

Anyway, any pointers would be helpful. This is driving me up the wall and I'm hoping someone knows where I should look. Thanks and have a great day!

I've attributed problem #1 with permissions propagation not occuring under the new folder so I just went about placing all users on the root of the iscsi mount. This is not ideal for me, but it will have to do as it creates the least headaches.

#2 I've also worked around by using targeted mobile sync folders - again not ideal - but this will at the very least create less 'teachable' headaches in the future. My concern here is the failure rates in syncing and the 'sync conflict' messages that will undoubtedly occur.

if anyone has any pointers here that can create a more ideal solution I'm all ears, thanks for reading!

Back