10/23 Apple media event discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, materials can make a product look and feel premium. But in many cases they can in fact make it less durable - case in point, glass iPhone 4.

Apple tax is just another name for profit. If Google can sell a 32GB Nexus 7 for $249 there is certainly more than enough room in pricing. Lets not forget that Apple gets lower prices for sourcing components since they place such huge orders.

Google will have also placed massive Nexus orders, likely for 10 Million + units. Are really going to argue it makes much difference after 10 million units?

Again you are ignoring the more expensive materials and the larger screen and other parts. It will cost more to build an 8" Aluminum Mini, than to build an 7" plastic nexus.

They have the highest profit margins of any consumer electronics manufacturer. There's nothing wrong with that, but that is the definition of overpriced.

No it is being smart, by not following it's competitors in a race to the bottom, that would suck out all the profit margins.

If I am selling my product for 30% profit margin and my competitor is selling it for 0%. I am not overpriced. I am fairly priced. My competitor OTOH is an idiot, who would soon be out of business if his only income is selling such products.

Again you are ignoring the more expensive materials and the larger screen and other parts. It will cost more to build an 8" Aluminum Mini, than to build an 7" plastic nexus.

No it is being smart, by not following it's competitors in a race to the bottom, that would suck out all the profit margins.

If I am selling my product for 30% profit margin and my competitor is selling it for 0%. I am not overpriced. I am fairly priced. My competitor OTOH is an idiot, who would soon be out of business if his only income is selling such products.

WOW,now the LARGER SCREEN is a selling point for Apple??..They are truly an amazing company..They can convince people that a smaller screen is better when they need to and on the other other hand convince the same people that the larger screen is better..I applaud them...Pure GENIUS! ;)

All your talk about it being aluminum is pointless when a huge majority will encase it in plastic or rubber anyways for..wait for it...protection!

WOW,now the LARGER SCREEN is a selling point for Apple??..They are truly an amazing company..They can convince people that a smaller screen is better when they need to and on the other other hand convince the same people that the larger screen is better..I applaud them...Pure GENIUS! ;)

I am Just pointing out the facts of parts cost.

Just like the Aluminum case, the bigger screen cost more money. It doesn't matter if you don't like bigger screens, or aluminum they still cost more money.

You are always free to buy plastic devices with smaller screens elsewhere, if that is what you want.

But Apple isn't doing anything wrong charging more money for parts that cost more, nor are they wrong for actually making a profit selling their products.

You would think Apple melted down some peoples first born to produce their products, with the way some of you people like to needlessly bash them and their products.

Ah I still remember the days of "M$" bashing. Now everyones like "but the Surface! the underdog is coming in with a crApple competitor!"

it's very lol-worthy.

No, your argument is idiotic. A Hyundai and Audi share nothing. A MacBook/pc and iPad/any other tablet have the exact same components (chipsets, memory, boards etc) made by the same oem's, Apple just packages it up in a nicer chassis, exterior etc.
Actually, that argument is right on.

Who cares about components that they share? Are you a motherboard who talks to chips and stores bits in RAM?

Or are you a human user who uses the hardware+*software* as one unit with your fingers as input, and you can appreciate the *User Experience*? A Hyundai and Audi might have the same horsepower engine (i.e. same CPU speed), but have a very different driver experience (i.e. different OS and ecosystem providing different user experience).

Your argument would be true if iPad ran the same OS/ecosystem as Android tablets or whatnot.

Take the rubber band/elastic scrolling as an example.

On iOS, it serves as very nice very nice feedback showing you there's no more to go. It's impossible to miss since it relies on your peripheral vision. On Android, you get some crappy blue or orange bar that barely appears (on the opposite side of where you're looking) and is very easy to miss, so you begin thinking your device froze rather than it's at the end of a page.

Now, the thing is some people might prefer Android over iOS or vice versa, just like some people prefer BMW over Mercedes and vice versa. But they are most definitely different. Unless, you really disassemble your phone into its components and use them directly, of course.

Last edited:
Pretty much anyone can afford a tablet, this alone doesn't mean anything. Not everyone puts it high enough in their priorities list to actually buy it.

Jesus H Christ...

Buy an Apple product or don't.
Buy a Microsoft product or don't.
Buy a Google product or don't.

Read the reviews and decide for yourself, but for fuck sake, don't trust a Gizmodo review.

Just my $0.02. :D

I knew what I was getting into when I made the switch. I invested in an ecosystem essentially and haven't looked back: An iMac, MBA, 2 iPhones, and an AppleTV. It all works together just fine with minimal effort. I'd like to think I can essentially turn my brain off when I get home from troubleshooting shit all day and for the most part, I have. And that's a nice feeling. Apple tax or not, I'm cool with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back