10 & 15k rpm 3.5" Drives?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Zarathustra[H], Feb 24, 2016.

1. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Hey all,

So I was doing some poking around just for fun the other day for a theoretical "I will never be able to afford it" high budget fantasy storage server.

I was looking to equip it with drives that both are large and very fast at the same time.

I found some really fast (10 & 15krpm) 2.5" drives from HGST, but they were all smaller in capacity than the 3.5" drives we have become used to.

I also found 3.5" drives with very high capacities, but all of them seem to top out at 7200rpm.

Is the high speed 3.5" drive dead?

2. jordan12

jordan12 [H]ardForum Junkie

The WD Blacks are 7200RPM..

3. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

SSDs have really destroyed the market for high-end mechanical drives. Anything above 7200rpm is mostly pointless, and even the argument for 7200rpm drives vs a slower drive is getting harder as we get to the point where the only thing a mechanical drive is useful for is bulk storage.

If you are really going for a "best of both worlds" type approach, why not consider SSD caching? Something like IntelĀ® Smart Response Technology.

4. vsboxerboy

vsboxerboy 2[H]4U

Yes, outside of certain enterprise applications.

5. extide

extide 2[H]4U

Yeah >7200 RPM on 3.5" drives has been a thing of the past for quite some time now. Basically you have those 3 tiers, 7200RPM (commonly called nearline) for mass quantity storage, 10/15k 2.5" drives for general stuff, and then SSD's .

6. mrluckypants96

mrluckypants96 Limp Gawd

The WD Velociraptor Drives come in sizes up to 1TB in a 3.5" 10K RPM version, although it's really just a 2.5" drive with a big heatsink.

If you want other options, you're likely going to have to look at enterprise-grade SAS drives.

7. AthlonXP

AthlonXP [H]ard as it Gets

Yup that is the only route in the 3.5 mechanical drive realm and even those Raptor drives now are getting quite expensive now.

8. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

I had a couple Velociraptors in RAID0 a few years ago, and the speed was definitely impressive. The volatility of such a setup is not worth the money, though, with how far solid state technology has come. I would just get 2 or 3 M.2 solid state drives these days, with an external drive enclosure composed of a few WD REs for backup. The read and write speeds of M.2 are more than I'll ever need.

9. mrluckypants96

mrluckypants96 Limp Gawd

Not to mention the increase in reliability. It seems like the SSD has come so far in terms of reliability that it can outlive practically any HDD.