10/100 Router & Gigabit switch Question

Gillette

[H]ard|Gawd
If I have an unmanaged 24 port gigabit switch with a 10/100 router connected to it (dhcp/gateway) will two computers on the switch communicate with each other at gigabit speeds, or will all traffic still hit the router as the switch will not cache the mac addresses locally?

I know when I was working in labs with cisco 2950s they would keep a local ARP cache with the listings of the MACs of all devices connected to it so all local traffic would be forwarded by the switch, however I'm unsure if this would function the same way on an unmanaged "dumb" switch.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

In most cases if the devices are connected to the same gigabit switch, then it should transfer files at gigabit rate. The 10/100 router will only be responsible for internet speed and act as the DHCP server.

If I have an unmanaged 24 port gigabit switch with a 10/100 router connected to it (dhcp/gateway) will two computers on the switch communicate with each other at gigabit speeds, or will all traffic still hit the router as the switch will not cache the mac addresses locally?

I know when I was working in labs with cisco 2950s they would keep a local ARP cache with the listings of the MACs of all devices connected to it so all local traffic would be forwarded by the switch, however I'm unsure if this would function the same way on an unmanaged "dumb" switch.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

managed or unmanaged if you look at the OSI model, the traffic is still going to be sent to a MAC address not an IP address. Even unmanaged switches still have a MAC table, and will send it to the right port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122058
This switch for example has an 8000 MAC table which is quite alot.

Even unmanaged switches still have a MAC table, and will send it to the right port.

Exactly what I needed to know, thank you! I guess logically it would need to keep that table or else it would broadcast all traffic (like a hub).

Managed switches are for when you really need data sent to a specific port and or put restrictions on.

Back