1 Year old Macbook with water spill

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I was given a free macbook that is only a year old. This does not get any power whatsoever. Nothing turns on.

The person previously who had it spilled water on the keyboard.

Is there anywhere that can fix it? Is it worth fixing? Or should I just ebay it as a parts laptop?

I would check the power supply with a voltmeter, and if that works, start taking apart the computer. Remove the battery first, of course. If it's still wet inside let it dry, then try powering it again.

It is definitely dry now as it has just been sitting in my shop the past 3 months, lol.

I don't like taking laptops apart, pain in the ass. Rather pay someone else to do it.

Macbooks are easy to take apart. Just open 'er up. Worst case, you decide to say screw it and you can just sell the parts off.

Last time I had a problem with a macbook I just started unscrewing. Before I knew it, the problem had been fixed. Just give it a shot. There are tons of "How to" videos if you run into a problem.

Worst thing is you take it to get repaired....with parts in hand.

Last time I had to replace a hard drive in an old G4 laptop. I had to take the whole damn thing apart to get to the hdd bay. Pain in the ass.

Last time I had to replace a hard drive in an old G4 laptop. I had to take the whole damn thing apart to get to the hdd bay. Pain in the ass.

A MacBook is not a G4 iBook. Those were a huge pain in the ass. My MacBook Pro is fairly simple to remove the top case and take a good look at the components inside.

Here is a fairly good resource for doing so:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

World of difference between fixing an iBook and a MacBook. Basically for like Hard Drive removal 42 steps compared to 8 steps. The MacBook seems rather easy to fix a water spill just by disassembling the whole unit.

Back