+1 to team 33

Cypher-

[H]ard|Gawd
I used to fold for a small forum that I was apart of. The guy who started the folding team has switched to another team himself so I thought I would join you guys. Sadly all I have a is a Q6600 at 3.2ghz which gives me about 2000PPD but at least its something.

Glad to be apart of the [H] team :D

Welcome and we are here to help.

Do you have 1 instance of the SMP client or are you running 2SMP in a VM?

I used to fold for a small forum that I was apart of. The guy who started the folding team has switched to another team himself so I thought I would join you guys. Sadly all I have a is a Q6600 at 3.2ghz which gives me about 2000PPD but at least its something.

Glad to be apart of the [H] team :D

Hey every little bit helps, welcome aboard :D

Welcome! We have free beer and tamales so dig in and enjoy! :cool:

Welcome and we are here to help.

Do you have 1 instance of the SMP client or are you running 2SMP in a VM?

I have 1 instance of SMP running.

gwarren007 said:
What videocard do you have, please list your computer specs.

I only have a 7900GS or I would be running a GPU client as well. I have plans to build a new rig by Christmas with a i7 and and at least a GTX260.

The right right now:
Abit IP-35 PRO
Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
4GB DDR2 5-5-5-18
3.5TB across 5 hard drives (no raid or anything)

I built this computer nearly two years ago as my first attempt at watercooling. I decided to watercool the videocard and thought I would just upgrade it and the block at a later date. Now I'm far to lazy or I would pick up a folding compatible video card.

Smp in linux vm's can bring you up into the 3200-4000ppd range, and adding a 9800gt can bring you an additional 3500-4000ppd for you rig to be at ~7500ppd. What is your PSU?

Should I be adding instances in linux vms in addition to the one I have running in windows or just running in linux vms? I do have vmware installed so I can easily do this. I always thought that if the computer is running at 100% to begin with that running another instance will just increase the time it takes to complete each work unit so it would even out.

The power supply is a Antec truepower tiro 550 watt.

You should be running in just linux vm's. Your computer "says" its at 100%, but that isn't true. Its actually running at `67%. That is why with 2 vm's of SMP you get the additional points-the Vm's fully use the idle clocks to the fullest.

Give this a try: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1459402 It's the beta VM player that supports 4 cores. Have not had one issue with it for weeks. Set and forget.

I've got it running on my Q6600 and I'm getting a bit over 5k ppd out of it. Runs fine during day to day. I just shut it down when I game.

And welcome to the [H]orde!

Welcome Aboard!!

And yea download the new VMplayer and run a single instance of Notfreds and you can crank out about twice what you have now.

+1 to Notfreds. Since it uses all 4 cores, the new VMWare takes up less memory, and gives you more ppd - each instance of VMWare on my i7 at 3.6GHz gives about 6000ppd max (4500 when running with the other VM). It's bloody awesome. On Windows SMP the 1920 WUs take about 15 minutes for 1%, on Linux SMP they take about 6 minutes.

Welcome!

+1 for the new VM player that was posted above. It will use all 4 cores and give out 4500-5000 ppd at your speed with the Q6600.

Ok I think I got it all setup properly. :D

Right now fahspy is reporting 4930PPD. What a huge boost. Thanks for all the help guys. You are the best.

Ok I think I got it all setup properly. :D

Right now fahspy is reporting 4930PPD. What a huge boost. Thanks for all the help guys. You are the best.

All on the same team.

Fold on!

Nice to have you on board with us Cypher! Welcome to the [H]orde... :D

It's always great to see new people interesting in folding for the [H]orde. ~5000 PPD is no modest output, especially off a CPU.

~5000 PPD is no modest output, especially off a CPU

Bingo... and any ppd is better than no ppd... there are a lot of us that put out less than that. Slow and steady really does work, may not be all that glamorous, not big dog status, but every little bit helps.

Back