1 minute 8 seconds from post beep until ram is shown. 3:20 total boot time. Ideas?

shaxs

n00b
Computer was working fine, but when I added the second video card I put it in the primary slot.

Okay, now I am having wierd error after opening up the case and switching the cards so that the Radeon 5870 was in primary slot.

You know when the computer posts and it shows the processor type then shows the amount of ram? Well, I get a weird freeze of 1 minute 8 seconds between those steps. Finally it sees the ram and continues the rest of the boot process.

Then when I get to the windows start screen it freezes at just saying Windows (Windows 7 64 Ultimate) and after a long period the Windows logo appears and it starts to load Windows.

I did a check on times. Here is a breakdown on the boot process:

1 minute 8 secs: time from boot beep to ram showing up in post process
12 seconds: time from ram showing up to getting to 'Starting Windows' screen.
1 minute 6 secs: time from 'Windows Starting' screen to actually loading Windows and the Win7 logo appears
52 seconds: Time from Win7 logo appears until desktop appears.

Total: ~3:20 seconds. That seems wwaayy too long.Once I am in Windows it seems to be fine, but booting into Windows takes forever. Any idea what can cause the freeze at the beginning and the freeze at the end?

More info: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 965, 2x2 gb OCZ Amd Black Edition ddr3-1600, 3x750gb hard drives in raid 5. Windows 7 64 bit Home Ultimate.

I have never messed with 2 video cards but it is certain that is the issue. One of the very first things after the cpu is "alive" is to set up the video then test rest of system. Trouble is I have no clue about how two video cards are supported on that system if you have them in X fire are they both 5870's or even both ATI's. Brand new card as well so it is not uncommon for strange issues until the drivers calm down/mature. Bet it works great with just one card (after cleaning up any driver issues in the OS).

So nice long post saying I dont have a clue. Give us more vid card info.

Might want to abandon this post and see what they say over in the video card forum, ATI sub forum.

Are you getting an actual error or message? or is it just taking forever to check your ram?
Your bios might be verifying the sectors or something. Check your boot options.

I have never messed with 2 video cards but it is certain that is the issue. One of the very first things after the cpu is "alive" is to set up the video then test rest of system. Trouble is I have no clue about how two video cards are supported on that system if you have them in X fire are they both 5870's or even both ATI's. Brand new card as well so it is not uncommon for strange issues until the drivers calm down/mature. Bet it works great with just one card (after cleaning up any driver issues in the OS).

So nice long post saying I dont have a clue. Give us more vid card info.

Might want to abandon this post and see what they say over in the video card forum, ATI sub forum.

Okay so I have two cards- a Radeon 3400 and an Radeon 5870. The 5870 is used for games and 2 monitors and the Radeon 3400 is used to just drive my third lcd.

I HAD the 3400 in the primary slot and the 5870 in the secondary slot. Windows and everything booted fine and fast ~45 seconds from power button to on.

I switched the 3400 and 5870 so that the primary slot now housed the 5870 (since I needed it for gaming). It was at that point I had these issues.

Are you getting an actual error or message? or is it just taking forever to check your ram?
Your bios might be verifying the sectors or something. Check your boot options.

No actual errors. Just sits there for over a minute. Ram has been tested for over 9 hours in memtest 86 with no issues.

Assuming you updated drivers etc but I have to ask.

Back