1 Long beep, 3 short, pause, 1 short?

PCunicorn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, on my Crosshair V forumula I am getting a Long beep, 3 short, pause, and 1 short. What does this mean?

Solution 1 the power LED is on
1.1 Make sure all cables are connected well
1.2 Please clear CMOS to have a try(refer to motherboard manual for details)
1.3 Keep the necessary components ( a CPU, a memory, a graphic card )on board to test
1.4 If there is still blank screen, please connect the connector of speaker to check if there is any beeps
1.4.1 If there is no beep, please contact your retailer for a check
1.4.2 If there is beep, please try to judge from the beep code as the following steps, if the problem still remains after the troubleshooting, please contact your retailer for a check.
1.4.2.1 Memory issue: Beep (1 long 2 short)
A Clean the Golden Finger of memory
B Clean the memory slots
C Leave only one memory stick to test
D If convenient, please change different memory to test again
1.4.2.2 Graphics card issue: Beep (1 long 3 short)
A. Clean the Golden Finger of graphics card
B. Clean the graphics card slots
C. Try to test the onboard graphics card if there is onboard VGA integrated
D. If convenience, please change different graphic cards to test again
1.4.2.3 CPU issue: Beep (5 short)
A. Check whether the CPU is in our CPU support list
B. Check whether there are any damagers of your CPU or CPU socket.
C. .Check whether the CPU fan is correctly connected
D. Check whether the ATX_12V power cable is connected well
E. If possible try to test with another CPU
1.5 If the PC could POST after the troubleshooting as the steps 1.3, please plug components back one by one to find out which one may cause this problem

2 the power LED is off
2.1 Make sure the power cable which connects to the front panel is well
2.2 Please swap a power supply for a try if possible.
2.3 If the problem still remains, please contact your retailer for a check.

Link

Also from your manual. Three short beeps No VGA detceted, and One short beep VGA Detected, quick boot set to disabled and no keyboard detected.

Not a single one of these replies helps. Fightingfi, pretty snarky title for something that doesn't even help.

Nexiluus, I am POSTing. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be getting beeps, would I?

Deathhorse, thanks, but I'm getting a 4 short beeps, 1 long, 3 short, pasue, then 1 short.

I should note I don't have a GPU installed, so that's probably what it is. I just want to make sure nothing else is wrong, because shouldn't I be getting the beeps deathhorse replied with?

Hey all, on my Crosshair V forumula I am getting a Long beep, 3 short, pause, and 1 short. What does this mean?

Not a single one of these replies helps. Fightingfi, pretty snarky title for something that doesn't even help.

Deathhorse, thanks, but I'm getting a 4 short beeps, 1 long, 3 short, pasue, then 1 short.

I should note I don't have a GPU installed, so that's probably what it is. I just want to make sure nothing else is wrong, because shouldn't I be getting the beeps deathhorse replied with?

First post you posted something different than your 2nd. Quit being a smartass to people trying to help you. Post up correct information if you want correct answers. What does your Q-Code read-out say?

Deathhorse hit it right on the nose, and all he did was look it up in the MB manual.

Rule one, consult the manual.

So, your board POSTs fine? But you don't have a GPU placed....and the board is telling you something, like......you don't have a GPU placed.
You are just POSTing on a bare board or do you have an OS installed on a HDD/SSD?

Giving people all the pertinent information would have been helpful.

Sounds like the board is fine.

I would swap or take out components to narrow down the issue sounds like you might have two different ones. Pull the video card and run it headless and see if you get post beeps.

First post you posted something different than your 2nd. Quit being a smartass to people trying to help you. Post up correct information if you want correct answers. What does your Q-Code read-out say?

I'm not being a smartass. Seems they all didn't read OP properly.

My thingy (I don't have a Q-Code) stops at VGA, so I would definitely think it's just not having a GPU. Still, why this beep code?

Deathhorse hit it right on the nose, and all he did was look it up in the MB manual.

Rule one, consult the manual.

So, your board POSTs fine? But you don't have a GPU placed....and the board is telling you something, like......you don't have a GPU placed.
You are just POSTing on a bare board or do you have an OS installed on a HDD/SSD?

Giving people all the pertinent information would have been helpful.

Sounds like the board is fine.

I did read the manual. It didn't have anything for the code I mentioned. And I said nothing different in my second and first post.

Perfect way to get help here on hardforum! Such courtesy!

Well sorry, but if I'm a little worried and the posts don't help me, I get a little agitated, mostly when they don't read OP correctly.. And your post is real helpful, isn't it?

Well sorry, but if I'm a little worried and the posts don't help me, I get a little agitated, mostly when they don't read OP correctly.. And your post is real helpful, isn't it?

I see you've only been here a year. Look. This is fucking [H] Show some respect. It's okay to be frustrated man, and I can understand that. But these guys are just trying to help you. Good luck, hope you get it sorted out.

Your saying we didn't read, we did. You did not post much to go off of besides BIOS beeps. Second, you changed what we’re receiving in the beeps. As seen above the first beeps are pointing to a VGA problem or no VGA detected in which you confirmed you did not have one installed. As for the four short beeps beforehand, try removing CMOS battery and re-seating memory. Memory is the closest thing I can correlate to the bios beep guide in the Crosshair V Formula manual.

Last edited:
Long beep and 3 short beeps is generally video and has been on nearly every platform for the last ump-teen years. You gave us 2 sets of beep codes, but again the closest matches graphics card. Your Q-Code is showing graphics so I would start there.

Guys, Nome if you seem to understand, that its 1 Long beep, 3 short, pause, 1 short. I'm sorry that I'm being rude, as I know your trying to help. But you guys need to look through the links you provide, it would save both of our time. I never gave you 2 sets if beep codes either.

Matthew, neither of those links have the proper beep codes. I'm pretty sure its American Megatrends which I think is AMI.

Jesus christ..... You need to look at this link. www.google.com and figure this shit out on your own. Everyone has been helping you out. Its called troubleshooting.

Everyone is correct on the reason. The last short beep is simply signaling that POST is complete. You can POST headless you know. Removing the video card, and trying to post will likely give you the exact same results.

Everyone is correct on the reason. The last short beep is simply signaling that POST is complete. You can POST headless you know. Removing the video card, and trying to post will likely give you the exact same results.

Everybody seems to have a LOT of trouble figuring out what I'm talking about.

But this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Everybody seemed to be forgetting that i said there was a pause and a final beep. It wasnt 1 long, 3 short (i guess it kinda was but nobody noted what Ruoh said), not 1 long, 4 short. And yes, Ocean, everybody knew I didnt have a GPU.

And yes Doz, I know how to use Google, and you should to. If its so easy, why didnt you just give me a link to a good result?

The very first post got you the answer and you really should have RTFM and connected the dots yourself, especially knowing you don't have a GPU installed.

Later you worded your post poorly and indeed looked like you were talking about a different set of beeps.

And you still insist on acting a bit like a d... when people are just trying to help.

I'm looking for help, not for flak. I did RTFM, but nothing in there said that a final beep would occur at the end. You are right, I did put 4 short beeps at the beginning of that sentence in my second post, so yeah, I did word that wrong. If I'm trying to help, but I'm wrong, I don't mind being told I'm wrong. Guess that makes me different than most of you.

I'm looking for help, not for flak. I did RTFM, but nothing in there said that a final beep would occur at the end. You are right, I did put 4 short beeps at the beginning of that sentence in my second post, so yeah, I did word that wrong. If I'm trying to help, but I'm wrong, I don't mind being told I'm wrong. Guess that makes me different than most of you.

You need to go back and read your first post in this thread.
You give no information regarding what is/isn't mounted on your board.
You give no equipment list.
You don't explain what you did/didn't do to sort it out or if the board is NIB, used, BIOS version, etc.

To get pissed at people for trying to help you when you make the whole thing a guessing game isn't the way to go about it.;)

Did we all get trolled? The OP really did not have a fucking graphics card installed? This has got to be a joke or something..... No video card installed, beeps give you graphics card error, Q-Code shows graphics card error, and the OP is wondering what is wrong?

Good god.... Lock your own post please.

Did we all get trolled? The OP really did not have a fucking graphics card installed? This has got to be a joke or something..... No video card installed, beeps give you graphics card error, Q-Code shows graphics card error, and the OP is wondering what is wrong?

Good god.... Lock your own post please.

Yep, was thinking the same thing. why would you even post something like this. BUY A GPU. If your board does not boot right then make a thread. :rolleyes: or am I missing something here :confused:

You need to go back and read your first post in this thread.
You give no information regarding what is/isn't mounted on your board.
You give no equipment list.
You don't explain what you did/didn't do to sort it out or if the board is NIB, used, BIOS version, etc.

To get pissed at people for trying to help you when you make the whole thing a guessing game isn't the way to go about it.;)

Try thinking outside the box, and make some basic assumptions. It was pretty damn obvious to me what he was trying to ask.

Back