1 ip address, 2 networks, 2 routers

Hello everyone, I've been dealing with the following problem for a few days now and would kindly ask you for suggestions on what did I configured wrong.

In my Office I need 2 networks, one for my desktop & notebook & android, my camera and my printer, the other one for the whole office & colleagues.

1. Router (main router, for the whole office, works perfect)
Static IP from the ISP with gateway and DHC (all correct)
IP: 10.40.1.5
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DHCP enabled, WiFi disabled

Cable from LAN port 1 on Router 1 to WAN port on Router 2

2. Router (only for me, LAN works, camera works, WiFi connects and sometimes works – very poor performance + terrible ping, loosing packets, than drops)
Dynamic IP from Router 1 (10.40.1.20)
IP: 10.1.40.5
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.40.1.5
DHCP enabled, WiFi enabled

What should I do? If I try it with another router the problem is the same.
What have I missed?
I'm kind of new in this, but I educated myself to set it up and get it working, but I can't google up a solution for this.

Thank you for your help.

What is the purpose of this setup? You're adding complexity to segment yourself from the network?

If you do it this way, you should disable DCHP on your 2nd router, and change the subnet mask in order to completely separate the two networks. Also, I dont know what the IPs you mentioned for router 1 and 2 are, but 2 should use 1 as the source for the internet, so its config would be like anything else on Router 1's network (though not using DHCP). Doing this will completely remove any devices connected via Router 2 from Router 1. So printers, shared drives, etc on router 1 will not be accessible to devices on Router 2 (as visa versa)

Ideally you would do this with a vLAN instead of by physical devices, but it can still be done. I would set it up like this:

1. Router (main router, for the whole office, works perfect)
Static IP from the ISP with gateway and DHC (all correct)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DHCP enabled, WiFi disabled

Cable from LAN port 1 on Router 1 to WAN port on Router 2

2. Router (only for me, LAN works, camera works, WiFi connects and sometimes works – very poor performance + terrible ping, loosing packets, than drops)
Dynamic IP from Router 1 (10.40.1.20)
IP (LAN address): 192.168.1.1 (using 192.168.x.x makes it easier to see which network you are on, but the 10.x address you currently have could be used)
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway: **if this is for your LAN address then the G/W should be 192.168.1.1** (otherwise it could be the Router1's IP)
DHCP enabled, WiFi enabled

Overall I think your main issue is your G/W setting on Router2.

Disable DHCP on router #1 and buy a third router (#3). Plug the WAN ports of routers #2 and #3 into #1. Set router #2 to serve a 192.168 network and router #3 to serve a 172.16 network (you'll thank me for this when it comes to working out why things don't work). Now you have two separate networks which can both talk to the internet.

Thank you for all your posts.

I'm not sure why the first router is on IP 10.40.1.5, it was from the begining and can be changed I suppose.
The second router which is on 10.1.40.5 has to stay so, because the camera is set to work here.

So if I change the first router to 192.168.1.1 and leave the second one on 10.1.40.5 that might solve it?
But if I turn DHCP off on the second router, devices connecting to WiFi don't get an IP?

J-Will: Yes to segment this network off, so the rest of the office don't have access to it

Quartz-1: The third router might solve this? Like(?):
#1 Router 192.168.1.1 DHCP on
#2 Router 192.168.2.1 DHCP off, gateway 192.168.1.1
#3 Router 10.40.1.5 DHCP off, gateway 192.168.1.1

But I don't understand if devices connected to #3 Router WIFi would get an IP. If #1 Router does the DHCP...

In my scenario, both routers #2 and #3 do DHCP for their respective networks.

Actually, numbering them probably makes it confusing. You have a main router, a personal network router, and a work network router.

just sounds like a crappy router to me...

i don't see a problem with the setup per se, besides it being pretty unorthodox... (who puts the router at .5? i mean i've seen guys who always put it at .254, but it's just annoying )

DHCP won't magically jump between broadcast domains... it's a pretty clear and simple double nat, just kind of confusing the 2nd and 3rd octets are swapped between the two tiers...

although.... the gateway on your 2nd box should probably still be 10.1.40.5, i don't see how it would work if you used the gateway for the 1st router on the 2nd router's network... how does it even route to 10.40.1.x network to get to that 10.40.1.5 gateway?

I tried this setup:

ISP modem

#1 router connected to ISP modem, DHCP on
IP: 10.1.40.5

#2 router connected to #1 router, DHCP on
IP: 192.168.1.1

#3 router connected to #2 router, DHCP on, WiFi

Used a different router for Wifi and it worked fantastic for about 1 hour.
It doesn't drop anymore, no more loosing packets, but the ping is high again and it works really really slow.
Any other ideas what could cause this.
Speed on LAN is 10/20MB

Back