1 Gig vs 2 Gig in XP for Photoshop

iqwertyi

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm getting my friend some memory because she desperately needs it to run photoshop in XP. Currently, she only has 512 in her system.

So, the notebook takes a 533 DDR2, now most of the ones I've seen for a great price are DDR2 667. Three questions:

First, the 667 will automatically slow down to 533 correct?

Second, will 2 gig vs 1 gig make a difference in XP running Photoshop?

Third, should I consider setting it up as One 1 gig and One 512 MB? Or just get another 512 for a total of 1 Gig?
The reason I ask is that I don't know if the 512 in her system uses one or two banks.

Thanks

1. find out how the memory in her laptop is currently setup, 1 bank 2 banks whatever.

2. Then either buy 1x2gb sim or 2x1gb simm depending. Don't go halfway max out the memory, if you can go to 2gb do it. Not only will Photoshop thank you but XP as well.

Checked online for the specs on her laptop, it looks like it can only go 2 gig max, so 2x1 gig it is.

Thanks

It really depends on what medium you work with for PS. If you're only creating and editing small-sized gif images for websites, 1gb or even 512mb (=O) should suffice . But if you're working with pre-press material, where the file size can be huge - 2gig would be a minimum.

When I had 2gigs, PS would literally max out my available ram - ending up hitting the pagefile for memory access, hence degrading performance drastically. Another 2gb helped this out alot.

i hit almost 2G when opening about 10-20 raw images from my 20D or working with multiple tiff files.

filters and other things like ram...

Back