1 basic question on Photoshop CS4

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
This is the 2nd time I use Photoshop CS4, and I have 2 photos. I scan a magazine of an actress, each scan is 8.5 x 11, the photo is large, so the left side of her face is on the 1st part (left part) of the 8.5 x 11, and the right side on her face is on the other 8.5 x 11

When I try to merge the 2 photo in 1 new background, exactly what is the step by step to make the 2nd part (right side) of the photo land at the exact spot that I want?

Because I first select a rectangular area and click Paste. Now w/ some other graphics software, the Paste photo would have landed at the exact spot of my Selected Rectangular area.

But CS4 is not doing that, it leaves an approx. 2 cm gap in between 2 photos. I have try Paste or Paste Into. It just wouldn't paste in the exact spot of where I want it.

So how exactly what is the step by step to make the 2nd half of the photo land on the desire location on the new background?

Each photo is about 3400x2000, so w/ the new background, I selected 7000x2000, which is more than enough

you can use guides but you can also click on V and just use the arrow keys to line it up after you paste the second layer..

I don't know if CS4 shows if the layers are lined up, those are the purple lines in this layout I just did, the blue line is the Guide I added.
The right layer is the second one and will snap to the guide.
photoshop-guide.jpg

photoshop-guide2.jpg

you can use guides but you can also click on V and just use the arrow keys to line it up after you paste the second layer..

The V symbol works, thank you very much

All I need is some basic trick, as my other software is old and is limited to 4096x4096

You should be able to move it around easily with the Move tool (V); click and drag it into place; it will probably snap into place when it hits the edge of the other image, then use the arrows to nudge it around if needed. I doubt you will need guides for this.

Also, you can open multiple images in PS and use the Move tool (V) to drag multiple images into the same layered file.

It looks like you already figured this out, but use the Image > Canvas Size option to give yourself more room around the edges of the first image.

By default the Background layer is locked and can’t be moved (I find this annoying too); unlock it by double-clicking the name of the Background layer in the layers panel, and change the name of the layer to something else (will be labeled Layer 0 by default). After that you can also select the original layer and move that image around too.

When you’ve got everything lined up, use the Crop tool (C) to remove the blank edges.

What is the default "Paste Into" or "Paste" location of a new untitled area?

In another graphics software, when I paste, it default to Top Left.

With CS4, it seems to be at the center of a default area, is that so?

It's dead center on CS6.
It's also in the center of a selection.

Back