$1,900 Death Stranding Jacket Released, Sells Out Instantly

erek

[H]F Junkie
Why are people spending almost 2-grand on this with the economy the way it is?

"If you’re wondering about the links between the two, I spoke with Kojima Pro’s Yoji Shinkawa and Acronym co-founder Errolson Hugh about their collaboration last year, which resulted in Hugh making a cameo in the game, and a few pieces of Acronym gear featuring.

This particular jacket isn’t one of those pieces, it’s just one of Acronym’s most famous jackets—the J1A-GT—done in a Death Stranding style in honor of their collab, with the signature chest pocket done in yellow to mimic the baby jar and some Bridges logos on the chest, arms and back."

https://kotaku.com/1900-death-stranding-jacket-released-sells-out-instan-1842949514

I am glad this was out of my price range and that I knew nothing about it. It is hideous..... oh well wasn't made for me anyway since I can't afford it lol.

I hadn't heard of Death Stranding until now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If a game is anticipated enough that people are willing to pay $2k for a piece of clothing from the game, maybe, just maybe, that game is worth checking out.

I forgot all about that game with the delayed PC release. Feels like it came and went pretty quickly.
Looks like that clothing maker charges an arm and a leg for lots of different items, so at least it isn't a complete money-gouge.

I hadn't heard of Death Stranding until now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If a game is anticipated enough that people are willing to pay $2k for a piece of clothing from the game, maybe, just maybe, that game is worth checking out.

It's Hideo Kojima, so it is brilliant and absolutely stupid at the same time, One thing you can never say about Kojima's games is that they are unoriginal.

It's Hideo Kojima, so it is brilliant and absolutely stupid at the same time, One thing you can never say about Kojima's games is that they are unoriginal.

I'm not really that familiar with his work.

I googled him. Looks like he is repsonsible for the Metal Gear series. I vaguely remember playing the first one once or twice on my NES back in the 80's, but that's about it.

WHat kind of titles does he make these days. Are they by any chance First Person? Is struggle with non first person titles.

I googled him. Looks like he is repsonsible for the Metal Gear series. I vaguely remember playing the first one once or twice on my NES back in the 80's, but that's about it.

WHat kind of titles does he make these days. Are they by any chance First Person? Is struggle with non first person titles.

His games aren't first person shooters. Death Stranding is bizzare and grindy. It's a post apocalyptic FedEx simulator.

Original Metal Gear isn’t really Kojima. Metal Gear Solid (1-5 starting on Playstation) are his Metal Gear games.
They’re typically 3rd person games that are in the stealth action range of genres. Knowing a small amount of your tastes you could possibly find enjoyment in the 5th game, it’s the easiest to play as a action shooter, but it’s not exactly a “good” FPS. Personally I say the 3rd game is the best but it’s pretty much fully 3rd person and semi archaic stealth controls.

Kojimas real main draws are his often batshit insane and in-depth plots. MGS2 infamously has an ending cutscene after the final boss that is an hour+ long. It’s out right ridiculous.

I like his games. I even enjoyed Death Stranding what I played of it. But I’d be very hesitant to recommend the games to you, especially Death Stranding, people call it a walking simulator but that does it a slight disservice despite being accurate. It’s not as simple as just walking from point A to Point B, but the gameplay is walking. It’s finding a path. Using tools to create your path. Button prompts and walking speed to balance your pack load and not go ass up and drop your gear while running.
It’s just straight up not for everyone, and you can probably tell from some gameplay footage if it’s for you or not.

"If you’re wondering about the links between the two, I spoke with Kojima Pro’s Yoji Shinkawa and Acronym co-founder Errolson Hugh about their collaboration last year, which resulted in Hugh making a cameo in the game, and a few pieces of Acronym gear featuring.

This particular jacket isn’t one of those pieces, it’s just one of Acronym’s most famous jackets—the J1A-GT—done in a Death Stranding style in honor of their collab, with the signature chest pocket done in yellow to mimic the baby jar and some Bridges logos on the chest, arms and back."

https://kotaku.com/1900-death-stranding-jacket-released-sells-out-instan-1842949514

because the poor economy is affecting the have nots far more than the haves.

1587471920620.png

looks like a cheap halloween costume tbh.

If most of the sales go to the Japanese, then this isn't surprising, the Japanese have a culture of worship, you see it in their idols, rock stars, sports teams......those people set the bar for "buying the merch", make us Westerners look like amateurs. Also, in this case, they may legitimately be preparing for their next actual job. Deliveries, in case you haven't noticed, are up lately.

Last edited:

Because we just gave them all 1200 dollars. You think people are responsible? That's cute.

Certainly looks like an interesting game idea...(Division like) And looks like a game i would purchase for pc...I could see maybe spending 100 bucks for the jacket Maybe. The current economy has me extremely concerned on wasting money on stuff like this and i really hope it bounces back soon.

Certainly looks like an interesting game idea...(Division like) And looks like a game i would purchase for pc...I could see maybe spending 100 bucks for the jacket Maybe. The current economy has me extremely concerned on wasting money on stuff like this and i really hope it bounces back soon.

I've never played the division, but i'm pretty sure it's polar opposite.

I've never played the division, but i'm pretty sure it's polar opposite.
Lots of running around and exploring open world? Yes beyond that, not so much.:) There both kinda end of the world/country themed games?

So how many did they sell? I didnt see that in the article. Anything can sell out instantly when you only make a few.

Pretentious ones that fail in sales.

Maybe that is why he and Konami parted ways?

While his particular titles don't look like they appeal to me, I am glad that there are studios that still pursue more niche titles. I've always liked more intellectually challenging games that don't even try to go for mass appeal, and instead know what they are and try to be the best at it they can. Some of my favorite titles of all time have been like this, whicle some of th eones I cannot stand are usually those titles that pursue the lowest common denominator, like the Call of Modern Battlefield and Halo series.

Oh, there are many layabouts who are getting more money as opposed to less in all this—just the type of people who would blow that money on something like this, in fact.

Not hard to sell out if you only make as many as you sell. Guarantees you have 0 left in stock.

It would have made a better TV series, to be fair, but...

Pretentious ones that fail in sales.

Hey, say what you want - he did a better job of worldbuilding and conceptualization in this title than most of his Konami work. I don't have a PS4 but I watched all 11 hours of the cinematics on Youtube and they alone will be worth the PC pricepoint IMHO.

Hey, say what you want - he did a better job of worldbuilding and conceptualization in this title than most of his Konami work. I don't have a PS4 but I watched all 11 hours of the cinematics on Youtube and they alone will be worth the PC pricepoint IMHO.

11 hours of cinematics.....you say you play games, do you? :)

It's not from the game, they just but some game branding on it.

I never understood the love for kojima and I really don't understand this 2k jacket.

Kojima created a totally new type of game genre with Metal Gear (on the MSX) where it wasn't about killing everything in sight but rather sneaking your way around problems. Metal Gear Solid was one of the best PS1 games if not as beloved as say FFVII. I can understand a certain respect for Kojima even if you don't like that style of play, but it's not like he's Shigeru Miyamoto or anything.

The jacket on the other hand? Don't get it at all.

Last edited:
Back