1 7900GT vs 2 SLI 7900GT?

dborden

Limp Gawd
I am going to be building a new PC soon. What kind of performance increases can I expect from an SLI configuration? I want to at least get a BFGtech 7900GT 256 MB card. If I get 2 of these and use SLI will I even notice a difference playing today's newest games? Assuming the PC also has 2 GB of decent memory, and a dual core processor of decent speed.

long answer short: Yes, you will. But only at high resolutions. At lower resolutions, you won't notice a difference.

Though i would advise against a 7900GT ATM, from all the horror stories i've heard.

Nothing wrong with the 7900GTs and seems to be affecting a small number of cards. I'd just try one and see how you get on :)

Much easier to justify a purchase to my wife in one fell swoop than having to come back and say, oh honie I know I just spent X dollars but now I need another 300....

dborden said:
Much easier to justify a purchase to my wife in one fell swoop than having to come back and say, oh honie I know I just spent X dollars but now I need another 300....
heh. Actually, I would buy a single 7900GTX if I were you. Though if those faulty 7900GTs problems only happen in small numbers, then sure, get a 7900GT or 2 and see how they work out for you.

Those X1900XTXs are pretty sexy </ ATi patriotism>

Thats exactly the other thing I was considering. Instead of spending 600+ bucks on 2 7900gts I was thinking about a 7900gtx.how much more powerful is a gtx over a gt?

Back