1.6lv

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
I was thinking of building a cheap dual rig for my first go at SMP.

Looking at 1.6LV Dual XEON and OCing them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for heatsinks? I want to have the quietest system i can cause this will probably be my main rig and it will be in my room.

I dunno if i want to go water cooling cause that might cost big bucks.

help please.

-M

I don't think you would need to go with watercooling with those procs (assuming you weren't going to OC a great deal). In a drunken stuper I commited myself to a matching pair of these yesterday from Ebay. So, I guess I am looking for a mobo and ram.

Great procs though. I'm sure you will enjoy.

phas3d

I have them (specs in sig). I went with the stock windtunnels from ebay and they are loud as hell. I

IWTs can be quieted down if you use 60mm-80mm adapters with a little bit of modding
Depending on how much you are overclocking, the coolermaster heatpipe heatsinks have been run passivly on these CPUs

Not too much of a selection on Xeon heatsinks anyway, so anything that takes 80mm fans can be run quietly.

As for watercooling, it's not *that* expensive. If you've got $300 or so lying around, I say go for it! A pair of swiftech or DD blocks will be $100 or so, a good DC pump is $70, and you could easily use a 2x120mm radiator, so that's $80 or so.

I am totally a newb to water cooling.

I don't even know if my case will fit the water cooling stuff..

I have one of those antec SXblah blah blah cases.

Soho or something. ITs got a door and what not.

-M

Cooljag make some pretty inexpensive, actively cooled, heatsinks... They are like $20 each (with fan) and are rated for 3.4GHz and up.... so they should be able to keep the 1.6LVs cool when the fan is running really low rpms.

If you're thinking about the CoolMaster heatsinks, you may as well get watercooling as they are nearly the same price... the Coomasters are $50+ each ($100 total) and I don't even think that includes a fan... If you're thrifty you could get watercooling for that price.

peace,
OriginalOCer

OriginalOCer said:
If you're thinking about the CoolMaster heatsinks, you may as well get watercooling as they are nearly the same price... the Coomasters are $50+ each ($100 total) and I don't even think that includes a fan... If you're thrifty you could get watercooling for that price.
Good luck finding a pair of xeon WBs for less than $80 or so, maybe $75 for two used. A cheap heatercore will be $35, a cheap pump $30, run a t-line and cheap vinyl tubing, and you'll do it for $150 total. But the performace is going to be shit compared to those coolermaster sinks.

This is on an Asus PC-DL, with 1.6 LV Xeons. No mods, stock voltage and the stock heatsinks that do not have fans on them. I added a 90mm Panaflo L1A on it and used AS3 on them as well. You will need a healthy power sipply as well, one with a strong 12 volt rail. I recommend and am using the Antec EPS 550 watt. The Processors are running @ 12X200MHz. I am using just plain jane Crucial CAS 3-3-3-8 PC3200, 512MB X2.

1_1024.ts1108266839421.jpg

wow. THose are some nice temps.

Hmm.. I was thinking of going watercooling, i just don't know yet. If i do go water cooling i wanna cool the chipset also. ANyone got a good place to recommend to look at WC stuff?

If i don't go WC, i think i would get some swifttechs, but i don't know much about the coolmaster stuff, could you provide more info?

-M

Vertigo Acid said:
Good luck finding a pair of xeon WBs for less than $80 or so, maybe $75 for two used. A cheap heatercore will be $35, a cheap pump $30, run a t-line and cheap vinyl tubing, and you'll do it for $150 total. But the performace is going to be shit compared to those coolermaster sinks.

You think those coolermaster will perform better than watercooling and be as quiet (I am not being sarcastic... I just haven't used those particular sinks before)? Even for $150 I still think you would be better off for a modding/overclocking standpoint. I mean you wouldn't need to worry about vcore being to high, and I just can't see air cooling being as good as water.

I guess I just hate the fact that those Coolmaster heatinks will literally be more expensive than the processors themselves.

Psyco: Are those SL6XKs? Also what speeds were you able to reach with 1.6v (1.55v actual) vcore? 3.2GHz?

peace,
OriginalOCer

OriginalOCer said:
You think those coolermaster will perform better than watercooling and be as quiet (I am not being sarcastic... I just haven't used those particular sinks before)? Even for $150 I still think you would be better off for a modding/overclocking standpoint. I mean you wouldn't need to worry about vcore being to high, and I just can't see air cooling being as good as water.

I guess I just hate the fact that those Coolmaster heatinks will literally be more expensive than the processors themselves.
I guess what i'm saying is that a WC rig for $150 for a dual CPU system won't be able to be run very quietly. You'll need a fairly sizable fan on a single 120mm rad to keep the temperatures reasonable, and I know that with this board and overclocking, airflow over the mosfet sinks and the NB (which is passivly cooled!) is crucial for stability. So why remove airflow that will help stability by watercooling instead of using a pair of 80mm fans that you can run fairly quietly on those coolermaster sinks? With my WC rig on my Xeons I have an 80mm fan that is hanging over the NB/RAM until I get a WB for my NB... I decided to add that when I got burnt from touching it :eek:

Just some more proof that she is stable. They will post at 2.8 and run windows but fail shortly after running prime95. IT is back to 2.6@stock voltage :) ;)
3_1024.ts1108384825468.jpg

Back