1.65v ram too much for SB?

1. I would not buy Patriot ram. Its lower quality than Corsair, GSkill, Crucial, and even Kingston.

2. 1.65V is the max but it will still work. I would however get a 1.5V set. There are so many of them and they are not that expensive. Well unless you go with 2000 MHz ram or something like that.

Yeah, I don't really know Patriot very well, they're reputation was uncertain to me. I think I will go with the Vengeance set. Thanks!

Page 80 of the Intel datasheet lists VDDQ as Min: 1.425V, Typ: 1.5V, Max: 1.575V. Admitedly I don't fully understand memory voltages and how they work on SB setups, but I'm taking this as my guideline. I'm currently testing DDR3 1600 1.65V memory, that i've already purchased and installed, at 1333 1.5V. If I were buying today I would find some 1.5V memory.

Someone told me 1.65v ram is frying some SB chips.
It's probably not 1.65v memory frying SB chips. Some people are just going crazy with the core voltage.

Intel's datasheets list 1.5v +/- 5%, which gives close to a 1.6v max safe memory voltage. The prior generation LGA 1156 chips have the same exact specification. Some of the limits are explained here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665723

Back