1/4 mile wireless cheap?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
My fiancés father wants internet to his butcher shop 1/4 mile down the driveway. I got a useable signal to the barn when I put in a security camera. I have direct line of site between buildings. This only needs to be fast enough to sync quickbooks and possibly run a couple security cameras. Long Ping times won’t matter much. Will this be feasible with 2.4ghz equipment on the cheap? For $30 a month we can hotspot a visible phone with a wisp router. But just looking at options

You can do two Ubiquiti Litebeam 5AC Gen2 dishes for about $130 and will get 600-700Mbps all day long with good LOS. I have used many of these combos with great results. I even 24/7 stream 4K cameras across them to NVRs up stream.

https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-devices/products/litebeam-5ac-gen2

UI has a ton of other options, but this is the perfect cheapo solution. They just look like a wire to your devices when set up properly. Can't say enough about how easy UI has made PTP and PTmP with this stuff.

If you are trying to do it on the cheap and have LoS, you can always build a directional waveguide antenna out of spare parts / the appropriately sized metal food tin.

Edit: saw this is for your fiancee's father. High street cred risk reward with a future family member. I would build one in secret and test it thoroughly before considering putting it into that production environment.

He’s waiting for the local better cable company to service the area. For right now. I showed him how to turn on Wi-Fi hotspot on his cellphone when he need’s internet down there. He’s on a prepaid plan so there is no risk of extra fees. Keeps him happy for now

Back