1-3MB file transfer speed in WHS

Jordan1

[H]ard|Gawd
Very similar to the problem in this thread.

When the build was fresh I could copy files fairly quickly. 20MB/second+ if I recall correctly. Probably faster. Several months ago speeds dropped drastically. I changed nothing in my setup. File transfers average at about 1.6MB/second. This has been making my photo editing painfully slow. It's hideous.

After doing some reading I concluded "it's got to be my crappy motherboard Realtek NICs on both machines." Today, I finally replaced both with Intel's PWLA8391GT PRO 1000Mbps PCI NICs.

And it solved nothing! Exactly the same behavior as before. There seems to be several other cases like this where all is well with file transfer speeds and then BAM, slow as a snail...many without a clear solution.

Any ideas?

Everything good with your networking gear like router or switches?

I believe so. I just did a file transfer from my desktop PC to another desktop on my network @ 65-75MB/second. It is connected in the same manner as the server.

Just out of curiousity how close to being full on youre drives are you? My whs slows down a lot once a drive reaches over 90% full. Also, just an fyi a ton of small files chokes the speed also

Just out of curiousity how close to being full on youre drives are you? My whs slows down a lot once a drive reaches over 90% full. Also, just an fyi a ton of small files chokes the speed also

34% full across 4 drives, 3.3TB total.

check your cpu usage... my whs v1 constantly goes 50% usage on one of its cores...

ends up being the primary and secondary ide channels. Found the fix online a while back searching for a fix. I end up having to uninstall them and reboot.

while this issue is happening, I can barely even use the machine let alone transfer anything to/from it.

What connection speed is your nic connected to the switch at? Also your mtu which should default around 1500 frames/sec may,have some how dropped very low.

check your cpu usage... my whs v1 constantly goes 50% usage on one of its cores...

ends up being the primary and secondary ide channels. Found the fix online a while back searching for a fix. I end up having to uninstall them and reboot.

while this issue is happening, I can barely even use the machine let alone transfer anything to/from it.

My CPU goes to 100% or near it while doing large file transfers and becomes almost unusable (very sluggish). I checked my drives in device manager all channels are set to "DMA if available", but some of the channels read "Not Applicable" under the current state mode. Whats most worrisome is only one of the channels current state reads "PIO Mode" even though it is set to "DMA if available". That could be the problem! I checked my BIOS settings and could not find anything related to DMA/PIO that I could change.

What connection speed is your nic connected to the switch at? Also your mtu which should default around 1500 frames/sec may,have some how dropped very low.

1Gbps. MTU size is 1500.

Whats most worrisome is only one of the channels current state reads "PIO Mode" even though it is set to "DMA if available". That could be the problem!
That one is the culprit! Programmed IO (PIO) relies on the CPU to initiate and control the data flow which is what causes your CPU load to go up.
If all drives in your WHS are connected via SATA cables, find the drive that has lists the PIO mode and check the connection (cable) first. Even if you're still using PATA drives (connected via the 40/80 pin ribbon cable), try to replace the cable...

-TLB

That one is the culprit! Programmed IO (PIO) relies on the CPU to initiate and control the data flow which is what causes your CPU load to go up.
If all drives in your WHS are connected via SATA cables, find the drive that has lists the PIO mode and check the connection (cable) first. Even if you're still using PATA drives (connected via the 40/80 pin ribbon cable), try to replace the cable...

-TLB

Just fixed it. I selected "uninstall driver" for the channel reporting PIO mode. Rebooted server, and just did a 70+MB/s transfer. Woot!

All drives are connected via SATA cables FWIW.

21cw9ps.jpg

told ya =)

now help me figure out how to stop this from happening.. just happened to me again and I uninstalled all channels and rebooted and now its fine again

told ya =)

now help me figure out how to stop this from happening.. just happened to me again and I uninstalled all channels and rebooted and now its fine again

Maybe I need to find newer/better drivers.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully DMA mode will stick for a while.

Back