1/2" Barb choice

nonlnear

2[H]4U
What are people's opinions on the various metal 1/2" barb options? Is there a difference between the Swiftech and the Dangerden designs? I'm primarily interested in tightness of hose fit (tighter is better for me, as I'm going to run 7/16" ID hose with no clamps), and the length of the threaded portion of the barb. Also, are they bored to the same ID?

I'd rather not get EK barbs because the triple lip design makes me a little leery - especially running without clamps. I know EK does a lot of things right, but I don't like his barbs much. I got them with my DDC top from Petra, and have used them reluctantly.

Are there other barb options I'm overlooking?

PS. I'm getting barbs for two brand new Swiftech rads (so not the old threading), and possibly for my Petra-topped DDC. AFAIK, they are all G1/4 compatible.

I like the EK barbs for 7/16" ID tubing, as it's a nice tight seal, but it's still easy to get the tubing on. I don't like it for 1/2" ID tubing though.

Haven't tried these, but I have their compression fittings and I like them:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6..._G14_Barb_Fitting_-_12_ID.html?tl=g30c101s178

A lot of people seem to like the D-tek barbs:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/dhifig1th3od.html

Or this new one from danger den:
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=318&cat=34&page=1

The swiftech and DD barbs are very similar... having used both there's really no preference for one or the other.. Haven't had a leak from either barb (except where tube connects to the barb... clamps are a MUST!).

The ones with the o-ring retention/compression groove are a must. Almost no point in an o-ring that is twisted and unevenly compressed by the hex shape of the nut. Might as well not have one at that point.

I use the danger den fittings with 7/16 masterkleer. I do recommend at least using zip ties. I have an external rad with hoses running out of the back of the comp. My wife pushed it against the wall cutting off all flow to my overclocked 165. Both hoses became swollen from the heat but they didn't come off. My box was saved by zip ties. Anyway they're cheap insurance and unobtrusive.

I'm really not worried about clamps. I've been running 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs for almost a year now with no adjusting or tightening, and they haven't leaked a drop. I don't move my rig at all though. If I went to LAN parties, I'd run clamps for sure. Also, my setup is going to be all internal, so there isn't the same risk of somebody kinking the tubing like what happened to phedre. The tighter seal that 7/16" tubing makes on a 1/2" barb really does make clamps optional. If I were going to bother putting zip ties, I'd just go all the way and put propers steel clamps on anyways.

I really wasn't wanting to discuss the pros and cons of clamps. Just looking for barb information because the specs posted by the stores really aren't all that informative. It would be nice if they started posting all the actual dimensions instead of just the threading and the intended tubing size. How about posting the length of the threaded section, the total length of the barb, the outer diameter of the largest diameter lip, and the inner bore fo the fitting. Now that would be useful information.

The DD fatboy fittings look suspiciously similar to the ones at frozencpu that Fallencow linked. I like the look of them too... Thanks for the links guys.

Back