1:1 monitors are so awesome

bigbluefe

[H]ard|Gawd
I would kill for a G-Sync version of a monitor like this.

https://www.amazon.com/FlexScan-EV2730QFX-Monitor-1920x1920-EV2730QFX-BK/dp/B00R58MLSY

The size is...

6L2M.gif

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Perfect monitor proportion is 1.61803398875:1 with 16:10 being next best thing.
Anything wider and it seems to be too wide and anything less wide it seems too narrow. Only 16:10 looks like it have proper proportion for a monitor.

For games however wide screens are very acceptable.
16:9 starts to looks stupid, not to mention those super wide monitors that are available today...
1:1 must look too tall. It would be however perfect as sidekick monitor for properly DPI matched wider central monitor. Pivot sucks for this due to subpixel font rendering looking terrible on it and generally being too tall for anything other than 4:3

Perfect monitor proportion is 1.61803398875:1 with 16:10 being next best thing.
Anything wider and it seems to be too wide and anything less wide it seems too narrow. Only 16:10 looks like it have proper proportion for a monitor.

For games however wide screens are very acceptable.
16:9 starts to looks stupid, not to mention those super wide monitors that are available today...
1:1 must look too tall. It would be however perfect as sidekick monitor for properly DPI matched wider central monitor. Pivot sucks for this due to subpixel font rendering looking terrible on it and generally being too tall for anything other than 4:3

What's so awesome about 1:1 is that it's equally good for both vertical monitor arcade games and horizontal monitor arcade games.

It's amazing for web sites, too. You want the height.

It's also pretty much the best thing ever for people who actually do work.

That actually looks really nice for productivity, especially web development. However, I game too much to switch to something like that.

Isn't out vision around 1:1? I will say, having used 16:9 or :10 for years I find myself using applications that are sized at nearly full height and nearly half width a lot. The only things I really keep maximized are games and video.

Aren't widescreen formats mostly around because of some weird issue from 100 years ago where video had to be wide so people pretty much deal with it?

Must be tough to decide whether to use it in landscape or portrait orientation.

Seriously though, I remember reading about this monitor years ago, and then nothing. I thought it never came out, but I guess it did!

Seems nice. If there were 1:1 monitors with size the same as 16:9 27" displays but higer, there would be no reason not to get one.
Even 16:9 games would look exactly like on 16:9 27" display with black bars. Just make it a good va panel so blacks are good. Black bars on ips monitors are a no go

Well, yeah. But that would be huge. If my math is right that's a 38" diagonal and a 27" height. In current aspect ratios a 38" height is what's on a 60" screen. :eek:

You're doing that thing everyone does where they confound aspect ratio and screen size.

Unless you are a multi monitor user 21:9 or 16:9 in a big enough size (32" and beyond) makes much more sense. For work you have it split in 2 and for movies and games you use it as one big monitor... I personally hate multi monitor setups since they never match. Even the exact same model monitor won't perfectly match another one and it's harder on the eyes than one single bigger monitor, where refresh, colors, etc. is perfectly synced up... In portables (tablets, laptops) where you don't want to carry the extra weight I find 4:3 the best and 16:9 the worst...

Last edited:
Isn't out vision around 1:1? I will say, having used 16:9 or :10 for years I find myself using applications that are sized at nearly full height and nearly half width a lot. The only things I really keep maximized are games and video.

Aren't widescreen formats mostly around because of some weird issue from 100 years ago where video had to be wide so people pretty much deal with it?

Your field of view is rectangular and wider horizontally unless you've lost vision in one of your eyes. An easy way to demonstrate this is to hold your hands together just in front of your face palm together like if praying and then move them apart left to right until you can't see them anymore, and then repeat the process with them rotated 90*. You can go significantly farther left and right before they slip out of your sight than you can up and down.

Back