1:1 1080/720/480 LCDs/Plasmas?

Youn

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking into some kind of monitor for the potential WII / XBOX360 / PS3 / PC setup and am wondering if any support these modes "truly"... I've not ventured into HDTV stuff ever, and until now assumed they could all do 1:1 in any resolution, but now after reading some stuff it seems that this is not the case almost ever.

I've also never gamed much on LCD, when I did it was unbearable due to I think lag or lack of motion blur or something (I know it's not motion blur, but I'm not sure the technical term) also I can't STAND stretched pixels, or "upconvertion" and will only buy something that can do 1:1 without cropping or any other butchering. Of course, 480x2 would be fine, is that pretty common though? Maybe I'm just being too anal, but right now I'm really just wondering: What are my options at the moment? Should I just go with a honkin' CRT?

Price and size is of no concern right now, I'm just trying to figure this kinda stuff out, and get a clue...

Thanks

Plasmas and LCDs have fixed pixel sizes and a native resolution. If you're not running at the screen's native resolution (usually 1920x1080 for 1080p, 720p varies between 1280x720, 1366x768) it's going to be either slightly blurry or very blurry depending on the quality of the electronics. If you're looking for great SD (480p) picture quality you probably aren't going to find it in LCDs or Plasmas since both have to interpolate the low resolution source material to fill the high resolution display. That said PS2 over component using progressive scan (480p) looks pretty good on my Westinghouse LVM-37w3se 37" 1080p monitor. It's obviously somewhat blurry and it doesn't completely fill the screen (maybe 10px gap on the bottom, left and right), but it is decent enough.

For 1080p and 720p 360/PS3, HD-DVD and Blu-ray content, I recommend the 1080p Aquos models, which do dot-by-dot on non-native resolution content.

As an SDTV, though, it, like all HDTVs that I've seen, is borderline awful. I prefer my old Sony Trinitron Vega tube TV for SD.

HD-DVD:
Aquos_06.jpg

SDTV:
Aquos_07.jpg

Gaming:
Aquos_09.jpg

Back