0xc0000221 & 0xc0000225 ntoskrnl.exe not found/No Boot Possible

paraiso

n00b
Hi everyone,

In short, my PC won't boot after recovery using EaseUs TDB free version.

More details:
Windows 10
UEFI
GPT boot

I have three physical disks - C, D and E. C is the operating system drive, D is more or less multimedia and back-up drive, and E is a gaming drive. All my EaseUs To Do Backup drives are stored on drive D. What happened is a programme has been acting weird and I have been backing up incrementally on a weekly basis so I decided to revert to the overall system backup state from one week ago. The recovery has been straightforward and with no errors (so was the backups creation). Upon reboot however I was greeted with 0xc0000221 and 0xc0000225 errors where none of the start-up/boot recovery options would work. I inserted a bootable Windows USB flash drive which gave me more options and I found that out of all my listed drives my system drive C is now named F and is listed as disk 2 in comparison to how generally it should appear, i.e. disk 0 and C.

I presume EaseUs renamed the partitions and now Windows couldn't find its files. I tried different options like bootrec fixes and renaming files but so far with no success. This was all supposed to be a really straightforward process as I was recovering a full physical disk, i.e. C to C, not partitions, however I am now left with a broken PC. The UEFI in its boot section sees drive C and its boot manager, however cannot boot. I used to have WinPE (pre- lock screen recovery option) as part of the EaseUs TDB set-up and when I inserted the bootable Windows flash drive, I can see two "Operating Systems", however none of them seem to work. Also, no System Restore or Start-up Repair options do anything. System Restore is empty despite generally having different Restore Points before the recovery and Start-up Repair couldn't fix the problem.

Any guesses or advice that you can provide so I can save my system without reinstalling Windows? Using Notepad within the console I can see my other drives look intact, C also looks OK but I have never been in such a situation before and frankly, never expected this after a straightforward procedure that was supposed to be absolutely painless.
---
Is the back-up format EaseUs utilises accessible to other system recovery software? For example, if I reinstall Windows, can I use the existing back-ups to recover my C drive from them? Any other ways to get the system to boot?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 7777.jpg
    7777.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 0
I have previously used Acronis True Image without disconnection of extra drives, C: to C:, and it always worked with no problems - no renaming drives, no partition problems, everything as-is and supposed to be. Without explicitly wanting to blame everything on EaseUs, it definitely is something wrong with the software that lead to the situation. I am deleting it off my PC and would never use it or recommend it to anyone. I simply want to however get to the state that I can boot and avoid re-installation.

P.S. Also, the back-up has been on another physically different (not external) drive so I have had no option to disconnect it to do the recovery.

If I were you I would try to make a boot repair with a Windows installation USB. If that doesn't work, nuke the Windows install and start from scratch. You can always try to restore from that backup but it seems that it's corrupt. I never install Windows directly on hardware anymore. It's so much easier to restore a virtual image than start messing with physical windows backups.

You probably have a hundred programs installed which all changed your registry and now you're screwed. Ahh the good old times.

You are right. I have a lot to lose and this is why am researching all possible options before going ahead with a new install.

Do you by any chance know if there is a way via the console and the flash drive Windows installation disk to copy and transfer folders or files from C: to another drive? I have certain (.exe) installation files on the system drive too that I may lose formatting the drive if trying the backups again is unsuccessful.

I will also see if the EaseUs backup files could be read by another recovery program.

if you have a spare drive to install windows on you could disconnect the other drives, install windows(dont even need a key) and set it in bios as the only boot option. then connect the others and you should be able to recover your data.
have you contacted easeus yet?

Yes, I did before posting to this forum. I didn't know Easeus was a Chinese company so the first e-mail I received was very vague (like almost not in English); apparently they also didn't get most of what I have sent them. I explained it in very simple terms and this morning I have got a reply saying that most likely the back-up is corrupt and if I liked they may try to help me in a remote session that will cost $299. Even if I wanted, I do not have another PC to use at the moment.

To be honest I was extremely disappointed when the recovery went wrong and blamed it all on Easeus as both the back-up building process and the recovery went with no errors and with a "Success" message. Now as I have received their communication I can only compliment them for their support, even though I am not a paying user. Probably their solution works in general (and for others), but no matter what happens in my case I will most likely never use their products in my life again.

Thank you pendragon1, I may consider doing this, just need to find an extra drive.

You don't need a second PC as you can just live boot your pc any time you want. But I wouldn't pay that sum nor use that software again.
And I guess you haven't periodically saved any older backup images either so once your main backup corrupts, it's the same like having no backups. Noob mistake unfortunately.
A real backup system takes daily backups and then saves one backup out of 7 separately and a monthly backup separately so you don't lose everything. And backups should always be tested regularly or again, it's like having no backups.

Windows is a very poor OS with it's registry, forcing you to back up a giant mess of OS files, applications and their settings. On other OSes it's so much easier, you can just reinstall the OS and the applicaitons don't have to be touched.

And backups should always be tested regularly or again, it's like having no backups.

Windows is a very poor OS with it's registry, forcing you to back up a giant mess of OS files, applications and their settings. On other OSes it's so much easier, you can just reinstall the OS and the applicaitons don't have to be touched.

I reinstalled Windows but managed to save the required files off drive C where the OS was just a tiny little bit. I have tested the EaseUS To Do Backup images (all backups) for errors for more than 3 and a half hours and the software reported them OK, however once I tried a different full image, it didn't work again, confirmed later on when I used some of the transferred files to reinstall programs (some of them were corrupted). Considering what you said above, even if tested and verified by the software it didn't work in practice so in the end it is up to the program used. And talking about such, what software do you all use for back-ups? Free or paid? Why?

Testing a backup means actually doing the backup restore and seeing it works, not pressing a button in the backup software and see 'all clear'. As you experienced in practice right now...

Considering what happened, I didn't have the chance for something more. If you are a system administrator, have dozens of years of experience and resources and all the time in the world, cool, not everyone is like that. Most people want a reliable solution that simply works. If it fails/doesn't, it fails, that's OK.

I salvaged all my files and this is not because of specific instructions above if you dare to see. If this is noob-ish to you, fine, go on...

Oh by the way, I try to arrange my things always so that the OS is disposable at any time so I never have to back it up. Applications are stored separately and their possible special configurations are backed up at a separate location. With Windows that means that I don't install anything except Steam on it. Steam takes care of the subscriptions and I can just nuke WIndows if need be and Steam will restore my games. Nothing else is installed on a Windows box. With OSX I use the time machine but that's not an actual backup. I have successfully reimaged a couple of macbooks using it though.

Back