0-60 in 2.8 Seconds In Tesla's "Ludicrous Mode'

The power is full and instant from 0RPM so it speeds up much faster at the beginning
than comparable gas cars, especially 0-10....I think even the old RWD P85 with "just" 416HP has a 0-30 of 1.5 seconds? So in regards to 0-60 as a time, it'll match another car that had 2.8 seconds, but in terms of distance traveled, at the point it reaches 60MPH it'll be further ahead. Without the ability to shift gears it won't do much past 100MPH, but it was never intended to be a track car.....It was designed for commuters, and 99.9% of buyers are getting a 5000lb 7-passenger sedan with 60 cu.ft storage for the street. The most it'll see are highway ramps and stoplights, where it'll dominate everything. The only reason it enters these comparisons at all is that it happens to perform in streetable situations exceedingly well. It's not a 2-seater sports car.....People pointing out 1/4 mile trap speeds and overheating on a track might as well complain about a Lamborghini Aventador not holding as much lumber as a Ford F-150.

The joke's already on everyone else, Musk also said the next-generation Roadster in 4 years will have a "Maximum Plaid" mode!

I've got the P85D...and Insane mode is, well, insane.

It is tempting to upgrade.

And yes, as a poster said above, traction control is the unsung hero. I jackrabbit off the line all the time because it is such a kick, and I don't even turn heads because with no engine noise and no tire squeal, you don't draw attention.

I've got the P85D...and Insane mode is, well, insane.

It is tempting to upgrade.

And yes, as a poster said above, traction control is the unsung hero. I jackrabbit off the line all the time because it is such a kick, and I don't even turn heads because with no engine noise and no tire squeal, you don't draw attention.

I see a lady with a model S that hits every stop light and blasts when they turn green every morning. But yet I'm almost always right behind her when we make the final turn off the highway. It cracks me up buuuut it is indeed one very sweet car.

I see a lady with a model S that hits every stop light and blasts when they turn green every morning. But yet I'm almost always right behind her when we make the final turn off the highway. It cracks me up buuuut it is indeed one very sweet car.

LOL!

Probably my wife.

The AWD must help when flooring it, I have the P85 and the Continentals squeal a bit just as TC kicks in. If it wasn't for the value tanking as much as it has, I might have upgraded already, but it's not enough of an improvement over what the P85 does for me to take another bath on a second one yet, maybe a new bodystyle....P120D++ or bust!

The AWD must help when flooring it, I have the P85 and the Continentals squeal a bit just as TC kicks in. If it wasn't for the value tanking as much as it has, I might have upgraded already, but it's not enough of an improvement over what the P85 does for me to take another bath on a second one yet, maybe a new bodystyle....P120D++ or bust!

I think so. I drove a P85+ for the first time a few weeks ago as a loaner while my D was getting serviced. I floored it and got some tire squeal and the back end moved around on me a bit. Caught me by surprise. :eek:

I upgraded from my vanilla 85. I sold it to CarMax right after the D announcement so I think I got lucky on valuation.

Don't know what cars will do about batteries but in homes I heard a great idea from Bill Nye. Make a giant piston and fill it with water with a electric pump. Piston doesn't have to be made of anything special, could be nothing but rock. At night when there's no solar power the pump becomes a turbine and as the piston drops the water generates power. Best battery idea I've heard.

This is not a new idea. It's problem is poor efficiency, power is lost pumping the water and regenerating the power.

I wonder how much more straining on the lifecycle of those batteries. From an RC user standpoint using Lipo batteries, I know they are up to high amounts of discharge very quickly...but I can only imagine the heat cycle they are receiving cannot be easy on the cells. very cool nonetheless.

Not sure why this is making news.People should know being electrically powered provides an instant burst of energy to accelerate vs chemical reaction from gasoline cars.

That is why most supercars are starting to push hybrid models. They don't give a shit about the environment, it's because being part electric allows for the electric engine to kick in during gear shifts and accelerations to reduce time.

Yep. My friend gave me a spin in the VW e-Golf electric he just got; I didn't think much of it initially but holy crap its fast off the line, and he took it to 80 or 90 without it ever pausing to shift, the acceleration was just linear, as if it was gearless.

Don't know what cars will do about batteries but in homes I heard a great idea from Bill Nye. Make a giant piston and fill it with water with a electric pump. Piston doesn't have to be made of anything special, could be nothing but rock. At night when there's no solar power the pump becomes a turbine and as the piston drops the water generates power. Best battery idea I've heard.

Considering his background as a mechanical engineer, I'm surprised this would even come out of his mouth (if it is indeed from him). He should know that the efficiency would be absolute garbage compared to a 'normal' battery.

Back