Cable, Phone Industry Urge FCC To Limit Internet Privacy Protections

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Some are suggesting that this is "an attempt by the phone and cable giants to stop the FCC from protecting the privacy of broadband consumers."

Broadband providers currently collect significant amounts of consumer data and some use data for targeted advertising, drawing criticism from privacy advocates. The American Cable Association, U.S. Telecom Association, Consumer Technology Association, National Cable & Telecommunications Association and other groups wrote FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler urging him to propose limited broadband privacy protections consistent with the Federal Trade Commission's rules that bar "unfair or deceptive" practices.

They want to be like Google, everyone monetizing data to force more and more ads down our throats.

Why can't we, as Western civilization, just say we don't want this. I wake up and turn on the TV, and there's ads. Flip the channels and most of the ads are synchronized. Screw it go online, and more ads checking the weather, then more ads looking at my email, then walk out to my community mailbox and its stuffed full of 30 pages of ads that I didn't ask for and that my mail is hidden in between the sheets. So I get in my car and turn on the radio, and more ads. I punch in Waze on my tablet, and every time I come to a stop an ad pops up. As I'm sitting in traffic, I am staring at more ads on giant billboards some with blue LEDs burning holes into my retinas, because I need The Texas Hammer to get me the most on my lawsuit.

By the time I get to the office, I'm already in this toxic frame of mind from being blasted thinking of ten million products echoing in my mind, with Ronald McDonald laughing at me, holding hands with Billy Mays suggesting how oxyclean would really get the stains off the wall best for when I blow my brains out with discount 1000 round 9mm on sale at ammoman.com for a limited time only, BUY NOW, DO IT, DO IT NOW!

They want to be like Google, everyone monetizing data to force more and more ads down our throats.

Why can't we, as Western civilization, just say we don't want this. I wake up and turn on the TV, and there's ads. Flip the channels and most of the ads are synchronized. Screw it go online, and more ads checking the weather, then more ads looking at my email, then walk out to my community mailbox and its stuffed full of 30 pages of ads that I didn't ask for and that my mail is hidden in between the sheets. So I get in my car and turn on the radio, and more ads. I punch in Waze on my tablet, and every time I come to a stop an ad pops up. As I'm sitting in traffic, I am staring at more ads on giant billboards some with blue LEDs burning holes into my retinas, because I need The Texas Hammer to get me the most on my lawsuit.

By the time I get to the office, I'm already in this toxic frame of mind from being blasted thinking of ten million products echoing in my mind, with Ronald McDonald laughing at me, holding hands with Billy Mays suggesting how oxyclean would really get the stains off the wall best for when I blow my brains out with discount 1000 round 9mm on sale at ammoman.com for a limited time only, BUY NOW, DO IT, DO IT NOW!

Surprised you didn't have an ad stuck under your wiperblade. I hate those.

I think this much different than Google, TV or Radio. Those are all free services and only Google collects info on me. The sheer amount of data that your ISP can collect is a superset of what Google has access to....and again, I pay ever increasing prices to my ISP. If they did this, we'd all have to consider paying for a VPN service just to cut them out of the loop (yet another price increase).

Make it so you must wear an ad on your shirt, or you pay a fine on April 15th.

Until.there is a big enough backlash that - en masse - we punish brands for which we see ads, by not buying them, this will not happen.

I'm.already there. Having seen ada for a brand gives me negative connotations when I see that brand in a store, as I remember them as the fuckera who interrupted my show, or had an obnoxious ad on the site I was reading, and it makes more likely to look for any competing brand other than the one I saw the ad for, but my guess is that most people aren't annoyed enough yet that seeing ads negatively impacts their perception of a brand.

Geeze comrade, why do you hate capitalism so much?

Zarathustra[H];1042137195 said:
Until.there is a big enough backlash that - en masse - we punish brands for which we see ads, by not buying them, this will not happen.

I'm.already there. Having seen ada for a brand gives me negative connotations when I see that brand in a store, as I remember them as the fuckera who interrupted my show, or had an obnoxious ad on the site I was reading, and it makes more likely to look for any competing brand other than the one I saw the ad for, but my guess is that most people aren't annoyed enough yet that seeing ads negatively impacts their perception of a brand.

So you only buy generics? Do you stick to cars made by companies that no longer exist (e.g. a Yugo)? What if all of the local grocery stores advertise?

Geeze comrade, why do you hate capitalism so much?

I'm mostly disturbed that he pays so much attention to billboards ;) Seriously, I rarely notice billboards and they certainly don't bug me when I do.

Zarathustra[H];1042137195 said:

Ask anyone if they are effected by ads... willing to put money down that 99% of people say they are not effected or something very similar to what you have said (hate, negative reaction etc).

If ads don't work on 99% of the population then why is so much money spent on it?

Cause 98% people are too self absorbed to actually entertain the idea they could be "manipulated" by a 30 second ad when they actually are.

Now ask yourself are you really the 1%? All the time? Never effected by ads? I like to think I am a fairly smart person but I know for a fact I am effected by ads. Usually in areas I am not familiar and have less care about.

One thing I have noticed using less ad based entertainment... I don't go to see as many movies as I used to (or rent)... cause I miss the trailers. I still see the big obvious ones I would for sure see... its the fringe ones I don't go see, where a trailer might make me take the risk or put it on my "to see when on BR" list.

Back