Study Suggest Women Write Better Code

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait just a damn minute, I thought there were no women in STEM careers? That means this is obviously a fake study.

The US researchers analysed nearly 1.4 million users of the open source program-sharing service Github. They found that pull requests - or suggested code changes - made on the service by women were more likely to be accepted than those by men. The paper is awaiting peer review. This means the results have yet to be critically appraised by other experts.

So basically if I want to run the best software company out there, hire only women and then save 30% on payroll because they only make 70% of what men do. Got it.

So basically if I want to run the best software company out there, hire only women and then save 30% on payroll because they only make 70% of what men do. Got it.

I have actually run across some small shops that do exactly that - all female owned as well.

It's not that women make better programmers, it just that the average women in programming tends to have more passion about their job than the average male programmer.

These women made the decision to go into a male dominated industry and the attitude to do that is the same attitude it takes to be successful. For a guy who like computers, it's just a default decision, there doesn't have to be much passion about programming.

I'm sure you could find the same correlation with guys in many female dominated jobs.

The study doesnt suggest women write better code generally but they were better at correcting problems with code already written.
I'm not suggesting they arent better overall coders, but this study isnt broad enough to demonstrate that.

The US researchers analysed nearly 1.4 million users of the open source program-sharing service Github.

They found that pull requests - or suggested code changes - made on the service by women were more likely to be accepted than those by men.

They found that pull requests - or suggested code changes - made on the service by women were more likely to be accepted than those by men.

Interesting metric.

It's probably a good place to point out that there are "code of conducts" currently invading the industry demanding that female and minority pull requests be accepted regardless of their worth.

This is especially disgusting when you look at the people they go after in order to throw these code of conducts in our face; Linus Torvald is just the latest example. Here's another:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918

https://archive.is/dgilk

Interesting metric.

It's probably a good place to point out that there are "code of conducts" currently invading the industry demanding that female and minority pull requests be accepted regardless of their worth.

This is especially disgusting when you look at the people they go after in order to throw these code of conducts in our face; Linus Torvald is just the latest example. Here's another:

The higher acceptance occurred only when the profile of the submitter was not gender obvious (non-gendered username like "fuzzlewump", identicon instead of a photo). When the gender of the submitter was obvious, the acceptance rate for women plunged.

How do you achieve acceptance based purely on worth without anonymity?

Interesting metric.

Wow, that second link is super cringe worthy. :(

Statistics also say women are better drivers than men. Obviously statistics lie.

So does this mean that all women are better at coding than all men? Or that some women are better than some men? Well no shit Sherlock.

If anything this only means that this group of women is better at proofing their code. And when I say better I mean they do bother. Because I'm sure as hell often don't :-D

Statistics also say women are better drivers than men. Obviously statistics lie.

No, they don't. You just can't measure being "good" at something by one metric. Especially since "good" is open to interpretation.

Interesting metric.

SJW'ism is a mental illness.

No, they don't. You just can't measure being "good" at something by one metric. Especially since "good" is open to interpretation.

Quite the contrary, statistics lie. For example female drivers cause a lot of rear end collisions by panicing in unpredictable situations and slamming their brakes.

Every such incident is recorded as the rear enders fault despite the real reason for the accident being an insecure driver making an emergency braking in the middle of a traffic flow. Same sort of occurrences come when insecure drivers merge to highways 40mph slower than they should. This leads to heavy braking, quick lane changes and resulting collisions where the real guilty party (merging woman) gets away scratch free and the rest of the highway is in a chaos.

More likely to be accepted is not necessarily better. Better is subjective. Better can mean faster/more efficient. It can be easier to read and interpret. Maybe it was commented better. I guess I'd need to know specifically how it was better.

If a project is calculation heavy for specific case simulation, harder to read more efficient code is better.
If a project is worked on by multiple people and is relatively light, easy to read is more important.

Next, on the five o'clock news, how women are better at everything than men, and how the Obama Administration is reacting to this news, by deciding to allow only women into Marine Infantry battalions.

The study was conducted by the non-profit Feminist Frequency and endorsed by the National Organization for Women and League of Women Voters.

Be sure to tune it at ten o'clock, for a study that shows that the Feminazi-SJW movement may only live a couple of generations, due to the majority of Feminazi-SJW babies ending up as fetal-tissue experiments and medical refuse...

Well, if you measure "good" by skill level, men are much better drivers. However, there was a study that showed that our world's most absolute peak professional drivers that have no equal tend to have on average more severe accidents than the average population.

Basically, driving skill is not a good predictor of insurance liability. Grandma driving at 45mph on the highway changing multiple lanes slowly without a blinker may not herself be hit, even though she causes numerous accidents around her, and when she backs up into the mailbox at 3mph or takes 15 minutes before giving up trying to parallel park, the damages are minimal. Meanwhile when a 19 year old male puts his autocrossing talents to use trying to drift around a 90o turn at a traffic light and goes in just a little hot, he may flip his car on the curb and hit a pedestrian.

So are men better drivers? On average, this is without question.

But are men SAFER drivers? Not necessarily, as women tend to be more passive and defensive than men and speed less often.

Well, if you measure "good" by skill level, men are much better drivers. However, there was a study that showed that our world's most absolute peak professional drivers that have no equal tend to have on average more severe accidents than the average population.

Basically, driving skill is not a good predictor of insurance liability. Grandma driving at 45mph on the highway changing multiple lanes slowly without a blinker may not herself be hit, even though she causes numerous accidents around her, and when she backs up into the mailbox at 3mph or takes 15 minutes before giving up trying to parallel park, the damages are minimal. Meanwhile when a 19 year old male puts his autocrossing talents to use trying to drift around a 90o turn at a traffic light and goes in just a little hot, he may flip his car on the curb and hit a pedestrian.

So are men better drivers? On average, this is without question.

But are men SAFER drivers? Not necessarily, as women tend to be more passive and defensive than men and speed less often.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Whenever I see someone doing something totally irrashional, I check if the driver is female. If it's not I consider calling the police (drunk driver). But if it's female I'll treat the car as if it was a drunk driver regardless of the fact.

So does this mean that all women are better at coding than all men? Or that some women are better than some men? Well no shit Sherlock.

If anything this only means that this group of women is better at proofing their code. And when I say better I mean they do bother. Because I'm sure as hell often don't :-D

Assuming the data holds up, I think it suggests that for the smaller number of women who are actually coding, women are less reckless coders than men on average.

It's a mirror of other aspects of differences in the averages between men and women. I've read something that suggested that the distribution of intelligence for men was more variable, it's still a bell curve but there were more men at the extremes of both high intelligence and low intelligence, whereas women tended to be more concentrated around the mean with fewer examples of exceptionally retarded women or exceptionally bright ones. You still have examples of each but the distributions were not identical.

It may well be that the average female coder is less likely to engage in the inevitable desire to slap ductape and spackle in their coding than the guys are. But this is just speculation.

Isn't this just further evidence of the institutionalized sexism in the industry where men aren't treated in a fair and equal manner? Maybe we need a serious hashtag campaign to raise awareness of #FemalePrivilege that causes so much terrorization triggers and un-safe spaces for our world's male coders.

The PRs need to be accepted on an exact 50/50 ratio, and in order to create a Level 5 Welcoming Community we highly suggest that every project accept a Code of Conduct clearly specifying the target goal of 50/50 acceptance ratios. You need to send a message that your project is going to offer a space where all members feel safe and non-threatened.

And if you don't believe these men are being heavily victimized, then it's just evidence that your entire life of privilege has left you blind to the severe injustices suffered by people who aren't your same gender.

I mean if we are going to rant about the whole sjw thing and the extreme take that women are just better at everything than men. I can't wait, I mean fk it if shes better she can go to work everyday and I'll take care of the kids. I would be more than happy to stay at home all damn day and do chores. I find that shit therapeutic. That and I cook better anyhow. :D

Isn't this just further evidence of the institutionalized sexism in the industry where men aren't treated in a fair and equal manner?
No, it's more like the problem being that since no one here read the source study or easily digestible new story linked above, all sorts of stupid things are assumed. :p

The team found that 78.6% of pull requests made by women were accepted compared with 74.6% of those by men.
"For outsiders, we see evidence for gender bias: women's acceptance rates are 71.8% when they use gender neutral profiles, but drop to 62.5% when their gender is identifiable . There is a similar drop for men, but the effect is not as strong," the paper noted.

"Women have a higher acceptance rate of pull requests overall, but when they're outsiders and their gender is identifiable, they have a lower acceptance rate than men.

So, you're onto something if you intended to be completely wrong. ;)

Back