The Maximus VIII Formula Turns 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
2016 marks ten years of ROG. When we formed the ROG brand in 2006, DFI and ABIT had enjoyed reasonable success catering to enthusiasts. However, these companies operated with limited resources; the motherboards of the era were complicated to use and buggy, which limited their appeal. Consumers were looking for motherboards that made performance readily available, without complications. The modding scene had also grown, so aesthetics were becoming increasingly important. We saw a gap in the market and put additional resources behind our R&D and BIOS teams to create a range of motherboards for various segments of the enthusiast community. We started out by introducing models aimed at the top-end of the enthusiast market. These models were well-received by end-users and media alike. The next step was to distil key features of the high-end models down to a lower price point.

In 2007, the Maximus Formula series joined the ROG motherboard stack. The Formula’s role was to fill a hole between mainstream gamers and extreme enthusiasts; many of the overclocking features of the Extreme series were distilled down to the Formula, albeit with a tilt towards air and water cooling, rather than phase change or LN2. As there was a distinct attempt to lure gamers, the board also shipped with a dedicated soundcard that mitigated the noise issues associated with onboard audio. The first Maximus Formula iteration laid a solid foundation for the future, with plenty of room for improvement. Obviously, the brand was still in its infancy; the de-facto red and black theme that later become synonymous with ROG wasn’t yet employed. Back then, ROG aesthetics were centred around copper colored heatsinks, an uninspiring logo, and classic blue/white ASUS color theme.

For the latest Maximus Formula, click HERE.

Formula and Hero are very solid boards, no argument there.

That is a very sexy motherboard. Only problem is I want it on a 2011-3 platform.

DFI - wow, haven't heard that name in a while.

I used to love Abit motherboards. When Abit went out of the motherboard business one of their key bios programmers went to DFI. I want to say that his name was something like Andrew Chen, or something similar. After he started at DFI it felt almost like they picked up where Abit left off.

Pretty cool they gave honorable mentions to DFI and Abit. They paved the way to what enthusiast boards are today.

i had the abit bp6 at the time, dual celeron 400A OCed with win2K!

DFI i had an another board that i don't remember,

brings back memory,

asus boards are not that impressive tbh, i have R4F and the bios keeps resetting every now and then.

I miss the DFI Lanparty boards

Had a DFI Bloodiron board with my Q6600 that was an overclocking beast. Miss that thing. :(

Damn that is sexy. Like everyone else said, haven't heard of DFI for a very long time!

Why no x99 based Rampage Formula??? I liked the Formula setup better than the Extreme. Is Asus saying that x99 is just not a "gamer" platform anymore? I guess they mean to imply that SLi is also dead then.

13-127-158-01.JPG

after this board died, i drywall screwed it into my wall as a decoration. still lived at home. mom was PISSED, dad loved it.

Why no x99 based Rampage Formula??? I liked the Formula setup better than the Extreme. Is Asus saying that x99 is just not a "gamer" platform anymore? I guess they mean to imply that SLi is also dead then.

They are talking about the Maximus Formula series specifically. I believe that it is the longest run of all the ROG series.

I had the ASUS COmmando, which was one of the very first RoG boards ever. Interesting board, back in the Core2 era.

I had the ASUS COmmando, which was one of the very first RoG boards ever. Interesting board, back in the Core2 era.

I remember it well. It made an impression as the finest P965 motherboard of it's era. I think the first ROG motherboard I reviewed was the Striker Extreme. What a POS. In fairness, it wasn't ASUS' fault. All 680i SLI chipset based motherboards were crap.

Back