PayPal Shoots Self In Foot 'White Knighting' For Netflix

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know if I would call this "shooting itself in the foot." Let's be honest, how much money could PayPal possibly lose over this situation?

Under the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy, or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction. This includes transactions for any device or technological measure that descrambles a scrambled work, decrypts an encrypted work or otherwise avoids, bypasses, removes, deactivates or impairs a technological measure without the authority of the copyright owner.

Ok, let me put this is plain English.

Netflix does not want people using VPN to access from Netflix from unauthorized areas, in this case Canada.

So Netflix goes to Pay Pal and tells Pay Pal to suspend any transactions it was doing for a particular VPN provider (UnoTelly) in Canada.

Pay Pal tells this VPN provider that because the item/service/device that people are purchasing (through a Pay Pal transaction) violates Pay Pals ToS, that Pay Pal would no longer be allowing transactions to them.

So UnoTelly simply tells their customers to use a credit card instead, thus the customers will still be able to access Netflix without Netflix control, and the only party hurt in the end is Pay Pal who is no longer getting a cut of the transaction.

You know I'm glad all this Internet stuff still allows us to recognize physical borders :rolleyes:

Same with MLB blackout zones that are several states in size. Fuck em. :rolleyes:

Under the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy, or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction. This includes transactions for any device or technological measure that descrambles a scrambled work, decrypts an encrypted work or otherwise avoids, bypasses, removes, deactivates or impairs a technological measure without the authority of the copyright owner.

Wouldn't this mean any computer? Or camera? Or anything that can record audio? Or a CD player?

I believe the issue was that UnoTelly specifically promoted their service as way to get around Netflix geo-blocks. Plenty of other VPNs that do the same job.

You know I'm glad all this Internet stuff still allows us to recognize physical borders :rolleyes:

Same with MLB blackout zones that are several states in size. Fuck em. :rolleyes:

Seriously. Content creators and owners want money for their content, I get that. But when you've got people going out of their way to pay a third party(VPN provider) more money just so they can pay a content provider(netflix), and still get fucked because the actual owner of the content(whichever idiot has decided that the paying customer can't view the content) can't get their shit together, those content owners should lose the ability to take anyone to court over piracy until they knock off their stupid region games.

Emmm, I wouldn't even know where to start...

I don't even think blocking Canadians from American Netflix is something Netflix wants. If anything, Paypal is appeasing the Canadian MPAA -- whatever it's called.

Only reason Netflix has to block access is to appease the greedy producing studios and other copyright holders who still operate on basic pre-internet economics of supply and demand. They think by reducing access, it makes their products more desirable and thus more profitable... but this is only to obfuscate the fact that their content has an unlimited supply. The error they make, is the fact that their market isn't the local population anymore... its literally the population of the planet. They are telling more than willing paying customers to go F$%# themselves and they don't want their money. What business sense is this? Do this in any store, and see how long you have a job or stay in business.

There are a number of old institutions which operate along the same premises, like the NFL for one. Greedy team owners, and NFL regulators demand a premium for their services... which is fine for limited seating at a live game. Then they want to turn around and sell overpriced merchandise like 250$ jerseys, which is a huge market as well. The problem with this, is they miss their market completely which allows for black markets to compete. China makes the jerseys for the NFL. China also makes counterfeit jersey's which are pretty damn close to the "NFL" versions and sell them for 25$... people and store owners buy these counterfeit jerseys and sell them for upwards of 60$. Their greed is causing them to lose money.

Ok, let me put this is plain English.

Netflix does not want people using VPN to access from Netflix from unauthorized areas, in this case Canada.

So Netflix goes to Pay Pal and tells Pay Pal to suspend any transactions it was doing for a particular VPN provider (UnoTelly) in Canada.

Pay Pal tells this VPN provider that because the item/service/device that people are purchasing (through a Pay Pal transaction) violates Pay Pals ToS, that Pay Pal would no longer be allowing transactions to them.

So UnoTelly simply tells their customers to use a credit card instead, thus the customers will still be able to access Netflix without Netflix control, and the only party hurt in the end is Pay Pal who is no longer getting a cut of the transaction.

Your Cliffs Notes are many times better than the original article.

Back