Intel Skylake Overclocked To 7GHz

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently some guy in Hong Kong overclocked his Intel Core i7 6700K up to 7GHz, making it the highest overclock for a Skylake processor to date. Sure it was only a single core, it took liquid nitrogen, and AMD has had 8GHz+ overclocks forever, but it's still pretty cool. :cool:

Jeez AMD had 8ghz overclocks? I am obviously under a rock. These things man little of course.

I just don't see the point. It's not useful for anything. It's like kids burning off their tire treads to make smoke...

That vcore, though :eek::eek::eek:

fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d253149028d9ce0fca9def3aaf63a.jpg

Yeah, if an overclock:

1.) isn't feasible for 24/7 stable use (which LN2 isn't); or

2.) has to disable cores to work

it is a completely useless academic exercise.

Overclocks aren't interesting because of OMGz LOOK at my GIGAHURTZ.

They are interesting because of what you can do with them, and you can't do shit with a cores disabled, LN2 overclock.

Dyno queens...

Yet these guys probably no more about that hardware than most of you here could ever dream of. Also, I bet the hardware is donated for some of the events. Jealous much? :rolleyes: This has always been a cool thing to see having been done. :) For those that claim that if it is not 24/7 stable, can you show me any good reason to overclock a 24/7 stable clock that can show a real difference in day to day usage? Without benchmarks and fraps numbers? No, you cannot.

For those that claim that if it is not 24/7 stable, can you show me any good reason to overclock a 24/7 stable clock that can show a real difference in day to day usage? Without benchmarks and fraps numbers? No, you cannot.

Try working with images and video.

Try working with images and video.

Still makes very little difference. What, you will get done 5 to 15 seconds faster maybe? I enjoy overclocking and have done so for the last 24 years but, unlike back in the day, it really does not make a real difference anymore.

Still makes very little difference. What, you will get done 5 to 15 seconds faster maybe? I enjoy overclocking and have done so for the last 24 years but, unlike back in the day, it really does not make a real difference anymore.

Agree, it has always been about bragging rights. Or finding that special core that is really just an underclocked version of a faster one (so saving a few dollars).

I will say it is a bit underwhelming having to diminish functionality to achieve clock speed. In the end it really is about doing something because they can, not because they should. Can't fault any project or idea starting with "i wonder if..."

Agree, it has always been about bragging rights. Or finding that special core that is really just an underclocked version of a faster one (so saving a few dollars).

I will say it is a bit underwhelming having to diminish functionality to achieve clock speed. In the end it really is about doing something because they can, not because they should. Can't fault any project or idea starting with "i wonder if..."

When I overclocked my 486 sx 25 from 25mhz to 50mhz, Tie Fighter went from choppy to hell, to perfectly smooth. :p

These days, most overclocks are of limited value. Encoders and number crunchers may benefit, but most others are either not going to be pushing their CPU's in what they do on a daily basis, or be GPU limited anyway.

GPU overclocking on the other hand...

Zarathustra[H];1042128009 said:
When I overclocked my 486 sx 25 from 25mhz to 50mhz, Tie Fighter went from choppy to hell, to perfectly smooth. :p

These days, most overclocks are of limited value. Encoders and number crunchers may benefit, but most others are either not going to be pushing their CPU's in what they do on a daily basis, or be GPU limited anyway.

GPU overclocking on the other hand...

Haha I remember that. I played it on a DX2 66mhz but couldn't play the cd version, my friend on his pentium 75mhz (i believe) played it like a champ, i was so jelly.

Over 30% gains are nothing to sneeze at and can make a huge difference in time saved.

Well, I can understand that this exercise does not make sense for 24/7 setups, but that is not the point. Please read about the concept of DRAG RACING for context.

Thread responses like these make me feel old.

Back in my day, we celebrated overclocking achievements. We even hung out at an overclockers comparison page to discuss it. The more extreme, the better. Everyone knew the difference between a stable OC and an extreme one. Hell, the word "stable" was given as an inverse to the extreme of the OC:
  • only stable enough to post
  • stable enough to boot the OS
  • stable enough run _______ tests / scores
  • stable enough for superpi
  • finally, stable enough to run prime95 _____ minutes / hours

It was a great time indeed. Now get off my damn lawn, ya punk kids.

overclockers comparison page

That's not actually what 'ocp' stands for. I am pretty sure it stood for Online Comparison Page actually, although over time it seems that meaning has been lost and changed to Overclockers Comparison Page. I could be wrong though ... wonder if Kyle would clear this up for us...

Holy cow, check out that vcore! You can almost see the cpu evaporating along with the LN2. lol

While cool they hit 7GHz, I kind of see little point of these competitions.

There is NO fuckin way that shit is actually running at 4v ... that has to be a bug/error/etc.

7 GHz overclock... where your CPU last less than an elementary particle! Shorter than a figment of an idea of a fart!

Well, I can understand that this exercise does not make sense for 24/7 setups, but that is not the point. Please read about the concept of DRAG RACING for context.

How exciting would a drag race be if the goal was just to run one cylinder as fast as possible until the engine breaks?

That's not actually what 'ocp' stands for. I am pretty sure it stood for Online Comparison Page actually, although over time it seems that meaning has been lost and changed to Overclockers Comparison Page. I could be wrong though ... wonder if Kyle would clear this up for us...

I have only known it as Overclockers Comparison Page. FAQ confirms it: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=835057

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. It's not a legitimate overclock unless it's stable.

that is almost as silly as saying a land speed record does not count because it wasnt achieved on a daily driver.

the guy isnt trying to compare 24/7 overclock epeen with others, but rather just trying to go for maximum possible overclock while being able to boot into windows.

Over 30% gains are nothing to sneeze at and can make a huge difference in time saved.
30%?

The last great overclock I had was a i7 920 2.66 to 4.0. 50%. Before that, it was a pair of Celly 333 to 500. Those kinds of gains are worth doing.

Now I am lucky to get 4.4-4.5 out of a 3.5 ghz 4770K, which turbos at 3.9-4.0 anyway.

It will when rendering large videos or doing large computational tasks.
An OC of just 100MHz on a quad-core, depending on the video being encoded/transcoded, can take minutes to hours less to work.

For general, day-to-day tasks, though?
Yeah, I completely agree with you.

Yet these guys probably no more about that hardware than most of you here could ever dream of. Also, I bet the hardware is donated for some of the events. Jealous much? :rolleyes: This has always been a cool thing to see having been done. :) For those that claim that if it is not 24/7 stable, can you show me any good reason to overclock a 24/7 stable clock that can show a real difference in day to day usage? Without benchmarks and fraps numbers? No, you cannot.
I know I cry myself to sleep because I cant get mine to do that.....

Its worthless. How about using all cores. Something that can run 24/7 would be nice.
A good reason to overclock over stock or over a 24/7? How about a nice gaming marathon of 5-6 hours?

That must mean all programs run super fast, Photoshop loads faster than you can double click the icon?

I know I cry myself to sleep because I cant get mine to do that.....

Its worthless. How about using all cores. Something that can run 24/7 would be nice.
A good reason to overclock over stock or over a 24/7? How about a nice gaming marathon of 5-6 hours?

You do understand that is strictly your opinion and nothing else. I am a competitive long distance runner whole loves to run and exercise a lot. For some, that is worthless and they say so. Should I suddenly quit and hang my head in shame because someone does not agree with me? Nope. :)

30%?

The last great overclock I had was a i7 920 2.66 to 4.0. 50%. Before that, it was a pair of Celly 333 to 500. Those kinds of gains are worth doing.

Now I am lucky to get 4.4-4.5 out of a 3.5 ghz 4770K, which turbos at 3.9-4.0 anyway.

That's 30% in real work gains. That is a huge reduction in waiting times and productivity gain.

You do understand that is strictly your opinion and nothing else. I am a competitive long distance runner whole loves to run and exercise a lot. For some, that is worthless and they say so. Should I suddenly quit and hang my head in shame because someone does not agree with me? Nope. :)

Humans are the best long-distance runners on the planet, it's one of the main factors that sets us apart from other primates and using it to hunt probably drove the evolution of our greater intelligence. Doing something healthy and enjoyable that our species has been doing forever is not worthless.

What we're talking about here is more akin to running until you die or twitching one muscle as fast as possible until it breaks.

Totally different. Running is healthy for your heart. OC does not really do good for the chip. But good try.

Yes, my opinion.

Back