Film Coating Transforms Contact Lenses Into Computer Screens

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Societal detachment continues with the possibility of future contact lenses doubling as electronic displays. At least no one will call you a Glasshole.

Scientists from the University of South Australia's Future Industries Institute have successfully completed "proof of concept" research on a polymer film coating that conducts electricity on a contact lens, with the potential to build miniature electrical circuits that are safe to be worn by a person. UniSA researcher from the FII, Associate Professor Drew Evans said the technology was a "game changer" and could provide one of the safest methods to bring people and their smart devices closer together.

Yeah because nobody will try to use this stuff while driving, right?

I think contacts move quite a lot while blinking. On a transparent lense that's no biggie but if your 'monitor' jumps around that may prove problematic.

Coming soon, Microsoft iEye where we display ads because you didin't opt out when you were prescribed your corrective lenses.

This will be awesome once I can:

1. HUD for rifle/pistol. Hell it could in theory show you where every weapon in your squad is pointed.
2. Drive a car without the need for windows at all. Without the need for windows cars designs could change quite a bit.

My only concern is that someone from [H] might hack my eyes and who knows what I might see then!! And how long until the contact has a built in camera? 10-20 years?
I can already think of 100 cool uses and 100 more nefarious ones. :)

Now here's something I'd buy...

Yeah because nobody will try to use this stuff while driving, right?

If used properly, (like as a HUD to show speed, and other driving related information) it could actually IMPROVE safety.

If it's used to watch My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic while driving, that's something different all together...

I think contacts move quite a lot while blinking. On a transparent lense that's no biggie but if your 'monitor' jumps around that may prove problematic.
I don't think they move too much. My contact lenses have a ballast to keep them oriented in a fixed direction.

Zarathustra[H];1042127851 said:
If it's used to watch My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic while driving, that's something different all together...

Just my little pony? People are going to be watching other things than that!

Obedient citizens will be augmented to seem beautiful while Dissenters will be made to look like diseased ugly people.

Obedient citizens will be augmented to seem beautiful while Dissenters will be made to look like diseased ugly people.

uhfkks4yrqojl6awmiwf_theylive1.jpg

Wait a minute. How con you focus and read something on the surface of your cornia?? Your eyes dont work that way. Even if that was possible what ever text there was would be so tiny you would need a microscope.

Wait a minute. How con you focus and read something on the surface of your cornia?? Your eyes dont work that way. Even if that was possible what ever text there was would be so tiny you would need a microscope.

You're right, that wouldn't work. This kind of display would have to 'display' something other than the actual image you're seeing.

It will need to be covered in something like miniature lasers projecting back onto your retinas. How hard could it be? / What could possibly go wrong?

It will need to be covered in something like miniature lasers projecting back onto your retinas. How hard could it be? / What could possibly go wrong?

Well, this principle is basically how holograms work.

There's a couple of difficult things here that prevent them from immediately applying this to a technology for a display on contacts. If you actually read the paper, they don't really even talk about that at all. Not even in the abstract. The article on phys.org basically pulls all that out of thin air. This is only a small step toward making this a display. It's basically saying, 'okay we can now print electronics on and out of contact-lens like material and we aren't even really that good at it, yet.'

I realize most people probably don't have access to the full paper.

That really isn't how holograms work.
It says 'proof of concept' and talks about conductive film right in the news quote, I don't think any of us thought we were going to be buying smart AR contact lenses any time soon.

That really isn't how holograms work.
It says 'proof of concept' and talks about conductive film right in the news quote, I don't think any of us thought we were going to be buying smart AR contact lenses any time soon.

Obviously holograms aren't a bunch of mini fucking lasers shooting around. It's a simplified perspective. I actually study this stuff. "Conductive film" =\= "contact lens display"

Back