College Students Sue Google For Scanning School-Issued Gmail Accounts

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think this lawsuit would have had a better chance if it was filed before Google agreed to stop scanning GAFE email accounts two years ago.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit [PDF] used University of California at Berkeley email accounts that were provided through GAFE. And between 2010 and 2014, when Google officially ended the practice, they say the company scanned and processed the “content of every email received by or sent” from these accounts “to develop sophisticated advertising profiles of the user and for other, still unrevealed, purposes.”

I am fine with them doing this after the fact give that they were told back then it wouldn't happen.

Just because you stop stabbing somebody with a knife doesn't mean you didn't just assault them.

I think this lawsuit would have had a better chance if it was filed before Google agreed to stop scanning GAFE email accounts two years ago.
If anything, that just shows that Google recognizes it was wrong, almost an admission of fault. And its not like you can say, "Officer, you can't arrest me, I stopped hitting her like two HOURS ago."

Back