Student Rents His Dorm Room On Airbnb

HardOCP News

[H] News
I hope they don't go too hard on this tech-savvy kid. He was just trying to offset some of his student expenses. :D

A sophomore at Emerson College says he could be facing disciplinary action after renting his room on homesharing site to three people on three separate occasions, reports the Boston Globe. He says he was trying to offset his student expenses, and knowing that tourists would love his part of town.

Just because it's "tech" and "innovative" doesn't give him license to break contracts--and I'm guessing part of the housing contract stipulated he cannot do exactly this.

I'm not a lawyer, but if the housing contract didn't say that I'd be more surprised.

It may have sounded like a good idea but I'm sure it was clearly stated in the agreement that he had to sign to procure the room that sub renting/leasing is not permitted. Sound like he is taking it properly though. He knew what he was doing was against what he agreed to and it sounds like he is willing to face the music. In other words, he is not acting all surprised butt hurt and playing the victim.

Just because it's "tech" and "innovative" doesn't give him license to break contracts--and I'm guessing part of the housing contract stipulated he cannot do exactly this.

I'm not a lawyer, but if the housing contract didn't say that I'd be more surprised.

I've lived on campus before and I can tell you that you pretty much sign away all rights/privacy when you live in a dorm.

Sure he was trying to offset his living costs but that's the same excuse the drug dealer two doors down will say when he gets caught with his side business.

Well, hopefully they just put him on probation and make him pay a fine or something.

I was curious about this school where a dorm has a view of Boston Common, so I read through their Wikipedia page. Toward the end, there was a note about their most recent new president, who came from Willamette University.

I attended Willamette University, flunked out and lost my scholarship because I was a stupid, lazy punk, but I never hear about it in the news, so I was like, hmmmm. What's up at the old school?

Clicked on his page, saw he had been replaced at Willamette University by a guy who was in my class in high school. Great googly moogly! I wonder if he could get me back in.... it's only been 30 years...

Just a weird, weird path this little story led me down....

Back