Microsoft Is Now Aggressively Pushing Windows 10 Upgrades

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 even more aggressively than before? If they get any more aggressive, a Microsoft rep will break into your house and install Windows 10 for you. ;)

Windows 10 will automatically download and start the upgrade process, depending on your Windows Update settings, but you can opt out and not receive nagging prompts to update. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users on a metered connection will have to turn off automatic updates to prevent the Windows 10 installer from downloading automatically.

what's wrong with Microsoft?...can't they just accept that people want to continue using Windows 7 or 8.1?...I can understand if they want to get people off XP or even Vista but Windows 7 and above is fine

What is the current best way to stop the update to Windows 10? I have a laptop that breaks because of bad graphics drivers in Win 10. And I have a desktop that I want to hold off on till May.

What is the current best way to stop the update to Windows 10? I have a laptop that breaks because of bad graphics drivers in Win 10. And I have a desktop that I want to hold off on till May.

there are several KB's that you should uninstall that will remove the BS windows 10 style telemetry spying and and the windows 10 updater. There was actually a script that someone wrote that would do it for you i'll try to find.

Then run windows update, it will ask you to reinstall said updates. Right click> hide update will stop you from getting nagged again (mostly... you'll still see those updates occasionally in italic text)

Windows 10 is their data mining OS so their so you windows users that are still hanging to win7 or 8 are keeping them from making money on you.

Here you go.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...try-and-windows-10-upgrade-components.216611/

what's wrong with Microsoft?...can't they just accept that people want to continue using Windows 7 or 8.1?...I can understand if they want to get people off XP or even Vista but Windows 7 and above is fine
No kidding. My laptop didn't like Windows 10 either so I went back to 7, which I'm very happy with. I have no desire to upgrade. I wish M$ would get that through their heads. Super annoying that I still get prompts to install their shitty KB's even after I blocked them. Its staggering how fast they've turned me from an MS champion to someone whos starting to loath them. If it was feasible, I would honestly ditch them in a second.

Unfortunately I don't care for MacOS and Linux is too hit or miss for the layman

Yet another reason I am glad I dont have automatic updates on for Windows update. The more they push me to update to Win10 like this, the less likely I am to actually upgrade. I have Win8.1 and dont have any problems and I dont see any thing in Win10 that makes me want to upgrade.

I love that they're spinning it as "making it easy for customers."

The sad part, people buy this bullshit.

9c6.gif

And that's the last straw, I'm pulling the plug on Windows Update.

Microsoft: We know what's best, so just do what we say.

Did they get Cliff notes from the government?

I've been letting everyone I know that this is no joke and how to prevent it (for now). I'm still dreading the (potential) calls from people screaming that Windows 10 setup started, they didn't do anything, it's gotta be an infection, all data is going to get deleted, it killed a baby, blah blah. :eek:

Never check for updates is how I roll...

Then please get off my internet with your malware typhoid mary box.

Back on topic
As for how to stop this, google. I've yet to see anything pop up concerning unwanted updates on my win 7 machine. Win 10 continues operating normally on my laptop. If that changes, I'll let you know.

For those who did not read the article, which pretty much means almost everyone, you can opt out. There, now lets see everyone here spin here instead of reading the article. :D

For those who did not read the article, which pretty much means almost everyone, you can opt out. There, now lets see everyone here spin here instead of reading the article. :D

You shouldn't have to, it it should be opt-in and really should not even be in Windows update.

Please do not reply, you have no valid argument.

only spin here is coming from you...no surprise, MS black-ops agent

On my main rig, I have removed the M$ KBs related to the Win10 push 3 times now (and yes I know how to follow directions)...I went out of town for the weekend and as of yesterday they are back..Its getting to be a PITA..I really want DirectX12, but I am not going to jump on M$'s cock until we have a few good games (looking at you Ark)..

You shouldn't have to, it it should be opt-in and really should not even be in Windows update.

Opt-in I can see but it should definitely be part of Windows Update. Whatever people think of Windows 10, the update process to new versions should be as simple as a phone. While I get that problems arise there just shouldn't need to be a lot of thought or complexity to it.

azure.png

(Yeah I know it says Azure, but you get the point) :p

Want to stop Telemetry and annoying "Upgrade to Windows 10" messages? Try this script (see below). It's constantly being updated as Microsoft changes tactics and adds new invasive ways to monitor your online activities. Have this installed on 3 machines and so far so good.

https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263

I game alot on PC so I understand sooner or later DirectX will force me to move. When that happens, will be triple boot.

Linux Mint = Daily use and internet surfing

Windows 7 = Apps I use/need that Linux does not cover my needs for.

Windows 10 = Gaming only (heavily modified and locked down as much as possible)

Dat recommend update doe

Then please get off my internet with your malware typhoid mary box.

Yeah no your OS is only as secure as your browsing habits. If you don't frequent sketchy sites, use good malware protection software, don't fall prey to social engineering, have an ounce of common sense, and practice good backup habits, you could probably turn off Windows Update from the get go and still be ok.

Case in point: I turned off Windows Update on my parents' laptop since a year ago, and they haven't had any issues.

One thing for sure, I am popular here, I have been quoted 3 times already. :D Folks have been wanting a way to opt out and now it is coming if not already here. I guess the question is whether this opt out is permanent or not. ;)

Case in point: I turned off Windows Update on my parents' laptop since a year ago, and they haven't had any issues.

This is an unwise practice good practice and it's bitten probably way more people than it's helped over the years.

This is an unwise practice good practice and it's bitten probably way more people than it's helped over the years.

I laid out the foundation for which one may reasonably safely disable Windows Update:

If you don't frequent sketchy sites, use good malware protection software, don't fall prey to social engineering, have an ounce of common sense, and practice good backup habits...

Now, let's say someone does all the above, keeps several good images of their current config and images their drive bi-weekly (hell monthly even), the probability of a disastrous occurrence would be quite low.

I laid out the foundation for which one may reasonably safely disable Windows Update:

Now, let's say someone does all the above, keeps several good images of their current config and images their drive bi-weekly (hell monthly even), the probability of a disastrous occurrence would be quite low.

Good security requires multiple and even redundant layers. Unpatched software a long history of causing fantastic amounts of grief. Sure one might get away with it but exposing a device to ever mounting attacks and never patching it, it's not a good idea.

As a user of decrapified W10 Enterprise LTSB. It is pretty good once you decrapify it.

But F corporate thugs that pull this sh*t. This is the crap that illegitimate scammers pull.

Unplug it from the internet.

Good security requires multiple and even redundant layers. Unpatched software a long history of causing fantastic amounts of grief. Sure one might get away with it but exposing a device to ever mounting attacks and never patching it, it's not a good idea.

And a vast majority of that "fantastic amounts of grief" can ultimately be traced back to either poor browsing habits, lack of common sense (opening questionable attachments from strangers), or falling prey to social engineering. Or in other words, lack of security awareness in general.

I'm not advocating everyone here (much less Joe Average) disable Windows Update for good, but merely pointing out it's likely to be inconsequential if you have good and safe usage habits.

I really don't get the Windows 10 phobia. I hope people who are worried about Microsoft data mining them don't own a smart phone, because what Google and Apple do (not to mention your wireless carrier) is even more intrusive.

You know how I got rid of all the nags to upgrade? I upgraded. Every machine that's eligible in my home, as well as the homes of friends and family members who turn to me for support, has been upgraded.

The only issue I've encountered so far was with one of my laptops. Just recently, the WiFi adapter driver was disabled due to a "compatibility issue". It is an HP with a Broadcom adapter. I haven't delved into it yet because I use the machine from a dock most of the time, and have gigabit wired. Overall I have found the rollout of Win 10 to be far smoother than any previous version of Windows. Stuff just works.

I don't have a smart phone either :D

But that's more to do with the fact when I used to have a Blackberry, the only "smart" feature I used was looking up prices on Amazon while shopping to make sure I was getting a good deal. Beyond that I used it just like any other dumb phone, and I was paying through the nose for data. Now I have a flip phone and pay $16.39 per month. Really can't beat that.

Dear MS,

I'm sorry, I didn't get your message, probably because my windows updates have been disabled since day 1 on my media center and my desktops and laptops run the superior Linux operating system.

Regards,
A consumer that thinks your suck ass almost as much as Apple.

I really don't get the Windows 10 phobia. I hope people who are worried about Microsoft data mining them don't own a smart phone, because what Google and Apple do (not to mention your wireless carrier) is even more intrusive.

You know how I got rid of all the nags to upgrade? I upgraded. Every machine that's eligible in my home, as well as the homes of friends and family members who turn to me for support, has been upgraded.

It's a generational divide. Windows was built in a era of standalone computers that connected to nothing externally. Now the idea of a disconnected device that doesn't sync contacts, email, photos, etc. is practically alien to the vast majority of mobile computing users that are through out the day much more engaged with their phones than PCs. Thus phones are the new PCs.

As Microsoft has failed in smartphones and with more consumers turning to mobile, there really was no choice for Microsoft but to adopt mobile conventions. Indeed in the phone world getting updates pushed is good thing. And I think in time it'll work out for Microsoft. But not everyone will be happy and I guess the question will those disaffected be a significant problem. You do hear a lot of folks claiming they are moving to Linux, like some have for years but there's little evidence that's the case. They certainly aren't moving to Linux for gaming if Steams numbers are correct where 10 adoption is very strong.

So I get that people like the old Start Menu, want the ability to sift through each and every update and don't want to share a single bit of even the most personally worthless data. And it's clear that Microsoft for now doesn't agree with this group. It's not that they haven't gotten the message, they are just kind of ignoring it.

So six months into Windows 10 and so far so good. It's gotten more stable for me, no big problems besides excessive sleep drain on my Surface Book. And missing Windows Media Center a bit though not as much as I was thinking since I stream so much more these days.

10 really is a great OS from the standpoint that it's flexible and is designed to work well across a lot of devices and different types of apps. That's forward thinking and where Windows has to go. Microsoft should address legacy issues better like updating and more privacy controls but I don't think they are the killer issues some make them out to be. I've just not seen anyone personally get that bent out of shape about it, not to anywhere the extent you seen on an internet forum.

Its funny, they are forcing everyone onto 10 so they don't have to pay support costs, and they can make money off the data you generate. Just give it a month or so after the grace period is up and people are going to start "rooting" win10 just so they can stop the data mining and tracking. Either that, or some linux OS will startup offering a free OS and support, and the only caveat will be they are going to data mine you unless you opt out.

Microsoft is really trying hard to be Apple, but they don't have the yuppie ignorant user base to do it. The majority of the MS user base consists of people who don't care what OS they are using, they are just using it because it was pre-installed on the device they wanted or are forced to use. The Apple yuppies only want apple products. If it doesn't have the happy half eaten apple on it, they don't want it. The only time windows is a selling point, is when grandma is looking for a new PC down at Best Buy and the sales clerk is just BSing her to make the sale. She doesn't really care about the OS, she just wants it to work, and the Best Buy salesman says Win10 is the latest and greatest and will do her laundry for her. The truth is, grandma could have been fine with a raspberry pi or a smart phone so she can check her emails and look at photos of her grand kids.

Then there is Bill. Bill works at the DMV. Bill has no clue what OS is on the PC at work, nor does he care. Why should Bill care what OS the government decided to use on his work PC when there is a line going out the door consisting of mainly spanish only speakers who are all trying to obtain licenses or state IDs. The only time the OS comes into this scenario is when it crashes. Then Bill just remarks "Piece of shit windows machine, my Macbook at home NEVER has these issues."

Microsoft's only enemy is itself at this point. The company really has no clue what it has, so they are trying desperately to "re-invent" themselves and they simply keep shooting themselves in the foot. They allocate more resources to "new" markets and downsize the old markets which they already dominate then assume it will be enough. Brand recognition. Its powerful. Its why Gaddafi was only a Colonel till the day he died. He could have re-branded himself as a General, Supreme Ruler, The Dark Lord, but no he let Colonel Gaddafi stay because everyone knew that name already, and they knew what it meant. But like Microsoft, he kept trying to dictate what everyone should do, so they got rid of him.

Back