Yahoo To Cut 15% Jobs, Close Several Units

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Reuters, Yahoo will be cutting around 1,600 jobs and closing several business units as part of a plan to cut costs.

Yahoo Inc Chief Executive Marissa Mayer is set to reveal cost-cutting plans that include slashing 15 percent of the company's workforce, or roughly 1,600 jobs, and closing several business units, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday. The plans are expected to be announced after Yahoo's fourth-quarter results on Tuesday, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. It did not specify which business units might be closed.

More like terrible CEO running that company. Marissa Mayer has pretty shitty business skills. Joking about layoffs in an emailer to the company got on a lot of people's nerves.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen....

Yahoo used to be huge. Along with a lot of other tech sites. Not sure if poor management is really to blame in some instances. Shit came tumbling down. At least they are still surviving.

Most of this is going to be a reduction in cross company related skills. They bought up a bunch of companies and they don't need 3 people in 3 seperate divisions doing the same damn thing. This is the natural progression of those buildups.

THIS! is interesting and scary:

"Verizon has said it is interested in acquiring Yahoo if it were up for sale. Other potential buyers would include media and private equity firms, analysts said."

Fuck me I'd ditch yahoo forever if that happened.

My mother and the rest of her 55yo friends are the only people I know of that still use yahoo.
I used it as a teen for pr0n. What was it, yahoo groups?

What do people use Yahoo for? I know my Mom has an old email account there. Other than that, no real reason to go back.

I guess it's probably the home page on a lot of older folks PC's that haven't upgraded in a while.

You mean you haven't already ditched Yahoo?

I like their sports section and I have an old email address that I use from time to time mostly for spam/sketchy sites.

Verizon's ownership guarantees yahoo will turn to a dumpster fire within a year.

More like terrible CEO running that company. Marissa Mayer has pretty shitty business skills. Joking about layoffs in an emailer to the company got on a lot of people's nerves.
No argument there. She's also the clown who convinced HP's CEO that working from home was a bad thing.

Did they also close down Yahoo e-mail service? It's been offline for like 24 hours now.

Back