EA And Ubisoft Fighting Over 'Ghost' Trademark

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Ubisoft is trying to block Electronic Arts' recent attempt to trademark the word 'ghost.' No one really knows why EA wants the trademark or why Ubisoft didn't already have it but here we are. Grab the popcorn, this one could get interesting.

The document indicates that EA attempted to register a Ghost trademark on March 18th 2015. It's not clear why EA is attempting to get its hands on that trademark, though the firm does have own a developer called Ghost Games. The notice of opposition was filed by Ubisoft against EA on January.

This should be rejected for both of them. Neither company invented or created the word. They should have no right to it.

Since when can you trademark a common word?

As far as I'm concerned, if it's in the Dictionary, it's public property.

Stop feeding the lawyers !

I can see "Ghost Recon" being ok, but you should NEVER be allowed to trademark a single commonly used work like "ghost".

EA should trademark the word shit, because that is all they produce these days.

aren't car models trademarked too? Chevy for instance: avalanche, impala, malibu, etc, arent they all TM'ed? I could be wrong but I thought this was the case.

aren't car models trademarked too? Chevy for instance: avalanche, impala, malibu, etc, arent they all TM'ed? I could be wrong but I thought this was the case.

they are likely trademarked from being used by another car manufacturer but you can name something Malibu barbie

That is a little different. They are trademarking the word when used for the name of a vehicle. So you can still have something be an actual avalanche, or name a ski resort something to do with an avalanche. But you can't create a new car and call it the avalanche. That is slightly different those as those were not common words used in vehicle names before. It would be more like somebody naming a car Red Rocket and trying to trademark the word red and the word rocket separately so say that you can't use the word Red in the name of a car. You can still say a car is red, but you can't say that this is the new red Malibu as then could claim you are trying to make people think this is part of their "red" line of cars. In this case you are trying to trademark the word ghost which is extremely common and would be much harder to show that you have the right to this name. Activision has COD: Ghost, other titles that come to mind, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost Recon, Ghost busters.

Since when can you trademark a common word?

As far as I'm concerned, if it's in the Dictionary, it's public property.

Stop feeding the lawyers !

If you're rich enough you can trademark common words..like Windows, Apple or probably Alphabet.

If Call of Duty Ghosts was successful, Activision would be in on this. It would be glorious to see the 3 biggest 3rd parties take each other on in a DragonBall-Z style court battle.

Oh, geez! THAT is SOOOO stupid!!!!!

I trademark all vowels! Upper and lowercase! Hand over the money, thieves!!!!

Back