NYC Uber Drivers Going On Strike At Noon

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are an Uber user that lives in New York City, you might have a hard time getting anywhere today. The article states that around one thousand drivers are expected to take part in the strike.

As a service powered by independent contractors, of course, what a “strike” looks like is just a bunch of people logging out of an app. That’s why the striking drivers plan to gather at Uber’s New York headquarters in Long Island City, Queens and protest as well as logging out of their app. Participants are supposed to stay logged out for 24 hours.

Do these people fail to understand that this is ultimately going to drive prices into parity with taxi service?

LOL, so these strikers are going to get zero dollars (and someone else will cash in on this). Another kick in the ass for Uber and their whole scheme.

So at noon today people in New York will go back to getting cabs. What a bunch of morons

This is why you do uber as a side job and not your primary source of income.

It's harder in NYC due to the stricter licensing and commercial insurance requirements.

Meh seems like even more reason for someone not to get into it unless they are in a position to make it work. If its not really going to be worthwhile, don't throw a hissy fit just because you want to play taxi driver in your off time for shits in grins to show off your fancy new car and make a buck or 2. If the pay is really that bad for your area, find a real job and just do this for extra beer money once in awhile!

One striking driver said, "I don't even make minimum wage."
I didn't know that when you worked for yourself, or as an independent contractor, that wage laws applied.
In fact, I know they don't. I went to high school with a set of very hot twin girls. While in college, they decided to strip at one of the strip clubs that was open during the day. Some days they'd leave with a grand. Other days they left with zero. They were independent contractors. That is the gamble for working for yourself. Uber will not help you with the American Dream.
Why are CA and northeastern people so damn entitled? Oh yeah, unions in their ears all day.

Meh seems like even more reason for someone not to get into it unless they are in a position to make it work.
This coincides with the Uber rate cut in NYC from a couple of days ago which dropped the mileage rate from $2.15/mile to $1.75/mile. So it could very well have been worthwhile before and now not so much. It's perfectly valid for a person to vent their frustrations about a company that supposedly valued them as partners that decided to cut their earnings without even bothering to consult them.

Since Uber has no legal right to protect strikers they should just ban any drivers who are logged out for the full 24 hours of the strike (just to be on the safe side) ... I am sure they can find replacements and it will teach the drivers a lesson to prevent future strikes

$1.75/mi is more than most OTR owner/operators make.

What kind of downtime do the other drivers have? Uber drivers log 3 to 1 (or thereabouts) idle vs driving a passenger miles. Or just sit in a lot and wait. Either way its a lot of not getting paid.

What kind of downtime do the other drivers have? Uber drivers log 3 to 1 (or thereabouts) idle vs driving a passenger miles. Or just sit in a lot and wait. Either way its a lot of not getting paid.

When I still drove OTR (company driver, $.51/mi) I didn't have much downtime. Basically my only downtime was waiting on an HoS reset because I drove my ass off. Owner/Ops have much more downtime waiting for a load that is near their last delivery. Deadheading is very expensive, especially for an O/O.

Aren't the uber drivers getting paid pretty close to what an actual company taxi driver makes?

Back